Best Hardware Synth for live use with the Fishman FC-1 under $1000 USD.

Started by mczero, October 14, 2019, 08:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mczero

Quote from: gumtown on April 14, 2020, 03:42:51 AM
Using the Fantom XR with my Roland GR-55, will use it with an SY-1000 when it is available here.
Also using the Fantom XR with a computer D.A.W. too.
Of course, with your new grfloorboard!
The SY-1000 is available already in West Island New Zealand at BetterMusic Canberra for $1499.00 AUD pre-order. In stock in Hobart $1559 and Melbourne and Sydney for $1599. Some places ask much, much more. It's on my list too... Very tempting!
I imported an FTP Strat (which were never sold here), and at the moment I'm concentrating on trying to get a functional stage rig together for it. (Just in case I ever get a band going again.)  Can't see myself fiddling with a laptop on stage. I thought the FC-1 would feed my GR-55, GP-10, or VG-99, but no dice, so hence this thread.
Thanks for your massive input to this site. (I'll download the new floorboard shortly.)
Cheers,
mczero

vtxtc1

I have the fc1 controller with my pc loaded with the Fishman included software. On the midi out of the fc1 I use my Roland MKS 50. The MKS series were designed for mono mode and guitar synths. You can find the mks 50 for a few hundred and a few hundred more for the PG 300 programmer. Tracks beautifully.
If you go the iPad route, I love Layr. I edited each patch for 6 midi channels and limited the note range on each string. It is also available for the iPhone. I transferred my entire bank from iPad to iPhone in seconds. I can plug the Connect straight into my phone and go hiking while playing guitar synth (if I so desired)

vtxtc1

Also, after typing the mks patch names into the Fishman hardware bank they all show up on the fc1 even without software.

mczero

Quote from: vtxtc1 on April 14, 2020, 08:24:57 AM
Also, after typing the mks patch names into the Fishman hardware bank they all show up on the fc1 even without software.
Thanks vtxtc1. Well that's another possiblility to consider. I'd never heard of the MKS-50 before. It looks like they have been around a long time and were very expensive and excellent when new. They still seem pretty expensive in Oz, but I'll keep an eye out. I'm trying to avoid the iPad/ Laptop route for ruggedness and reliability. I can imagine you hiking and playing like a synth troubadore.
Cheers,
mczero

chrish

I sold my MKS-50 about 8 months ago. It worked very well being midi triggered by a Roland GR50.

But it is aging vintage gear and the chorus was known to fail over time, which I found out happened to mine. If the fault is the timing chip it can be repaired but the delay chip is no longer available from what I've read.

It had that classic analog synth string sound using only one DCO.

admin

Quote from: chrish on April 15, 2020, 10:38:45 AM
I sold my MKS-50 about 8 months ago. It worked very well being midi triggered by a Roland GR50.

But it is aging vintage gear and the chorus was known to fail over time, which I found out happened to mine. If the fault is the timing chip it can be repaired but the delay chip is no longer available from what I've read.

It had that classic analog synth string sound using only one DCO.

FWIW the JX3P Keyboard with the upgrade ROM provides bulk of the MKS-50 functions and sounds and allows MIDI Mono Mode for Guitar Synth
The GR-700 was based on the JX-3P  - GR-700, JX-3P, MKS-50 all share same DCO Synth Engine, and all support the PG-200 Knob Programmer

admin

QuoteBest Hardware Synth for live use with the Fishman FC-1 under $1000 USD.

All subjective, but many consider the Waldorf Blofled to be a top contender for that title
Owners Manual

(Search on "MultiMode")

https://support.waldorfmusic.com/files/Blofeld/Manuals/Blofeld_Manual.pdf

https://waldorfmusic.weclapp.com/webapp/view/helpdesk/portal/blofeld/home.page

Here is Tripleplay FC-1 driving Access Virus and Waldorf Blofeld

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27479618/

chrish

Quote from: admin on April 15, 2020, 10:47:19 AM
FWIW the JX3P Keyboard with the upgrade ROM provides bulk of the MKS-50 functions and sounds and allows MIDI Mono Mode for Guitar Synth
The GR-700 was based on the JX-3P  - GR-700, JX-3P, MKS-50 all share same DCO Synth Engine, and all support the PG-200 Knob Programmer
the MKS-50 uses the PG-300 programmer. Had one of those also and sold it for a good price. It also controls the Alpha Juno 1, 2 synthesizers.

mczero

Thanks for all the above suggestions Chrish, vtxtc1 and Elantric.
It looks like the Waldorf Blofeld is a super value ready to go solution, whereas the vPed Pro is a highly flexible unit with whatever VSTs I desire as long as they are 32 bit and there is a variety of bigger older Roland synths that could also do a good job. The vPed Pro could be a lot of faffing about getting what you want loaded, or it could be fun... Hard to tell. The Blofeld is so far the cheapest and easiest option but I'm thinking I'll just keep my eyes peeled for whatever comes up on gumtree, eBay etc, and jump in, now I know what to look for thanks to you guys.
Cheers,
mczero