Zoom G11 User Reviews

Started by myksara, November 10, 2020, 10:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myksara

Hello folks,
Wondering if we have any zoom g11 users and how their experience has been with the unit.
I like the wysiwyg interface on it, the touch screen and a separate looper with drums..also I believe that the amp block is separate and doesnot eat up a slot on the stompboxes.
Also is it really a step up in sounds over g5n?
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

cjbyron

I picked one up ($799) and gave it a few weeks trial.  I decided against keeping it. It doesn't do all THAT much more than my HD500 or even Boss ME for that matter.  I mean I liked it ok but not 800 bucks worth. The presets were meh. Setting up your own preset was LABOR INTENSIVE.  Yes it does a lot of things but that can be an impediment. Make your own preset took way too long.
In the end I returned it. Of course right after that the price went down 200 bucks to 599.  Go figure.

All the "all-in-one" pedals have the same issue though (IMHO).  Complexity.   Like my Line6 HD500. Its nice sure but the learning curve is huge and it just takes so long to create or get the sound you want. This is why many still stick with individual pedals and the pedal board layout.

I think that's where the boss ME's, etc come into their value is they at least have a huge selection of user presets online you can get and try/use.  HD500, maybe 1/100th of Boss/Roland.  The G11? Nothing. I realize it's new so maybe they'll come along.

That's my take on it.  It had some nice features and many were better than other AIO systems. But not enough to justify the cost. I may take a look again once cost comes down (I gotta check that 599 price place again, lol).

ChrisX

I could have bought a Fractal FM3, but I was curious about the Zoom G11 and wanted to give it a try.  I figured if I didn't like it, I could return it.

After working with the touch screen, I don't want to deal with any processor that doesn't have touch. It makes naming and organizing patches a breeze.  When writing a patch, you just touch a location you want to save to.  Type in the name, don't have to use an encoder and forward/back buttons.

I absolutely love the amp modeling, and think its better than the Helix.  I've had it for a few weeks and haven't had cause to venture beyond the Krampus (hot rod marshall), the Velvet (classic marshall), or the 7 Heaven (modern high gain).  Although the mid and low gain tones also sound great.  This processor retains your playing dynamics, its not as compressed as the Helix.

The built in cab sims sound great too, at least equivalent to the built in IRs.  And you get to change the mid/treble character by blending between the two mics.

What no one has talked about, what really sets the G11 apart, is that it can play multiple IRs in the same patch.  This means you could create a tone match on your PC and load the IR into the G11 while also using a cab sim or cabinet IR.   I don't think many of the other processors do this.  I know the FM3 can't.

The box is so simple, yet its fun to work with.  I know there are alot of features its missing compared to a Fractal or GT1000, but I just don't care.  It does everything I need and it sounds great.

When Line6 or Boss come out with a touch interface modeler, I will take another look at their stuff.  I never hook up to a computer and being able to drag/drop patches and banks is a godsend.

At $600, the G11 is a no-brainer compared to a Pod Go. It has midi, nine FLEX blocks, a full compliment of switches, etc. etc. and I think it sounds better.  I was also interested in the Headrush, but its just too big.

admin

Thanks for the Zoom G11 review ChrisX

For me, my Color Touchscreen Headrush accomplishes bulk of the G11 functions and suits my needs 

QuoteAt $600, the G11 is a no-brainer compared to a Pod Go.
Agreed!
Seems Zoom G11 is being discounted to $599 at this time 

(still  $799 at many other Zoom Dealers 
https://www.google.com/search?q=zoom+g11&sxsrf=ALeKk025N8eQZKljAu5lAAkev0XQ_FUPGA:1614786202961&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiRz4-wu5TvAhXlN30KHf0ODjYQ_AUoAXoECAUQAw&biw=1536&bih=806

paaapa

Quote from: ChrisX on March 02, 2021, 03:52:54 PM
I could have bought a Fractal FM3, but I was curious about the Zoom G11 and wanted to give it a try.  I figured if I didn't like it, I could return it.

After working with the touch screen, I don't want to deal with any processor that doesn't have touch. It makes naming and organizing patches a breeze.  When writing a patch, you just touch a location you want to save to.  Type in the name, don't have to use an encoder and forward/back buttons.

I absolutely love the amp modeling, and think its better than the Helix.  I've had it for a few weeks and haven't had cause to venture beyond the Krampus (hot rod marshall), the Velvet (classic marshall), or the 7 Heaven (modern high gain).  Although the mid and low gain tones also sound great.  This processor retains your playing dynamics, its not as compressed as the Helix.

The built in cab sims sound great too, at least equivalent to the built in IRs.  And you get to change the mid/treble character by blending between the two mics.

What no one has talked about, what really sets the G11 apart, is that it can play multiple IRs in the same patch.  This means you could create a tone match on your PC and load the IR into the G11 while also using a cab sim or cabinet IR.   I don't think many of the other processors do this.  I know the FM3 can't.

The box is so simple, yet its fun to work with.  I know there are alot of features its missing compared to a Fractal or GT1000, but I just don't care.  It does everything I need and it sounds great.

When Line6 or Boss come out with a touch interface modeler, I will take another look at their stuff.  I never hook up to a computer and being able to drag/drop patches and banks is a godsend.

At $600, the G11 is a no-brainer compared to a Pod Go. It has midi, nine FLEX blocks, a full compliment of switches, etc. etc. and I think it sounds better.  I was also interested in the Headrush, but its just too big.

paaapa

This question is for ChrisX. Have you used the G11 in 4 cable method? I hooked mine up in 4 cable, the same way I would with any other unit and I couldn't get the preamp in my amp to work. All the preamp knobs did nothing. My chain went, znr>wah>od>FX loop 1>amp block>delay>reverb. I turned the amp in the G11 off and tried turning the G11 effects loop on and off, but got the same result. It was like the preamp in my amp was being bypassed no matter what I did. My amp is a Mesa Boogie Fillmore 50 and it has a series effects loop.
I'm waiting for a call from Zoom tomorrow, 3/5/21, to see what they say. I thought I would ask here, in case I don't hear from them. :)

admin

QuoteWith an additional round of A/D conversion, I could feel the latency.  I removed the SD-1 and set it up with a patch cable.  Its not bad, in fact I suspect many people would not feel it, and I'm not sure how it compares to other processors like the helix, but I could feel the additional latency. (absolutely cannot hear the additional round of conversion though.)

So what does this mean?  Lets say one round of conversion and processing has 5ms latency.  Another round trip might double that to 10ms, which is the point where I start to feel it.  Without the loop engaged, the G11 is very immediate and amp like.  But with two rounds of conversion, I think this could impact enjoyment when using in 4cm.  Or with using it with pedals in the loop.

I put it on the ground and kept switching between loop on and off.  I made sure I didnt know which was which ON or OFF.  After playing, I decided which one I thought was ON, and sure enough, I was able to detect the latency.  That said, it was really close, like I had to switch a few times before I was sure.  But it is there.

This is a very common yet often overlooked  issue  - Cumulative latency of all effects "on" during a live show
And is shocking how many folks assume a pedal with a True Bypass must be analog,  when many are actually A/D>DSP>D/A (= DIGITAL) and add 4-10 milliseconds Latency per pedal. Build a pedal board 10 digital pedals and a wireless guitar interface and wonder why there is now 100 milliseconds latency when all effects are ON

I'm told a few major pros substituted a Boss Waza Amp for their regular Tube amp, and were happy with the tones, but the additional 10 milliseconds latency provided by the Waza amp (Yes portions are digital) when used in their regular touring rig of Wireless Guitar System (4 ms) , Digitech Whammy (12ms), Eventide H9 (10ms)- was the straw that killed their "Play feel", and latency became very apparent   

admin

Thanks for the review

Knowing Zoom, in 2022 after another few months with 2 to 3 future  firmware updates the G11 may be adequate .
As you described -based on my Jan 2020 NAMM playtime I also felt 80% of the G11 tones were exact copies from a G5n and those can be found for $225

By 2022 used Zoom G11 may sell for same as new today -due to my prediction of exploding  high inflation rates month to month  during the next year

I already see potato chips at Costco for $10.00 per 18 Oz bag

aliensporebomb

Any recordings of the G11 being superior to the GT-1000?  I'd like to hear it.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

ChrisX

Quote from: aliensporebomb on March 25, 2021, 07:42:32 PM
Any recordings of the G11 being superior to the GT-1000?  I'd like to hear it.
Yes, this one.

ChrisX

It looks like the sale is over.. for now. 

I must say that I'm still really pleased with it.  Once I got my tones set up, I haven't had a "bad tone day".  It always sounds credible and I've been able to cop tones I hear in Fractal dial-in videos quite easily.  Being able to instantly audition any IR and simultaneously tweak all the eq dials without menus makes it easy to dial in.

Sticking to my guns that it sounds "better" than the GT1000.  (while I'm sure some people could come to the opposite conclusion, the G11 is "up there".)

aliensporebomb

I must admit I do like the form factor where every footswitch has potentiometers for various aspects of the sound.  But as obscure as the Roland stuff is in stores, I've NEVER seen a Zoom effect like this in a store anywhere.  The demo sounded great though but I have a similar Marshall-ish sound on my SY-1000 I dig quite a bit and when I stop programming synth sounds just to enjoy playing guitar it's a good sound.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

admin

I must admit I do like the form factor where every footswitch has potentiometers for various aspects of the sound

Which could spell disaster trying to find a replacement when they fail.

Unobtainable

Zoom is worse than behringer for customer service spare parts

rdasilva

I bought mine 4 months ago and I'm having fun with it.  I only use it for at home practice and while I am intermediate level guitar player, I don't know much about pedals, amps, and electronics.

I am plugging my G11 output (left/mono) to the Return input on my AER Acoustic Amp.  I only play at home so it's at low volumes but I like the tones I'm able to get.  I've plugged in my Strat, Tele, Les Paul and PRS Custom 24 as well as a few others. 

My newbie questions are:

1.  Is plugging in a multi-effects pedal like the G11 in this way to an acoustic amp OK or should I be using a regular electric guitar amp?  I do understand the differences between electric guitar and acoustic guitar amps but since I'm not using the preamp by inputting into the Return, is it OK?

2.  If it's OK using the acoustic amp, is there a better configuration?

Any other good home/practice amp suggestions?
Thanks.

Ray

Elantric

You should be fine into the acoustic amp - if there is an FX RETURN input on rear , use that 1st

Read this thread
Amplification recommendations for DSP Guitar Modeling systems
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=230.0

Panthersn

Does anyone know if you can use the G11 in 4 cable method without having an amp block?  I got a chance to use this pedal a year ago and really liked the layout.