The importance of X-OD

Started by elbazuk, November 10, 2020, 08:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elbazuk

Hi all,

Further to my other post about using a Clean Boost Distortion (or FX block) as a means of killing out some of the low end coming into the GT-1000, I've also now experimented with using the X-OD for some of the high gain amplifier models.

Specifically, for the BG Combo (though less so), ORNG STACK and BGNR UB, having an X-OD block can remove the tendency for over compression of chords. The prime example I like to use is "The Gift of Music" main riff by Dream Theater, where you want to be able to chug the fast palm mutes, but then hear the chord inversions when striking open and none-muted strings - the way a real Mark Series Boogie does really well.

As far as I understand it, the X-OD is an MDP pedal design, that splits the frequencies up into smaller chunks, and applies different amounts of clipping to each....

This has the added benefit of a very clean and articulated signal coming into the amp blocks. If you roll off the "Bottom", play with the Drive amount and Tone (for example, boosting Tone in front of the ORNG STACK amp can help address how dark it is without getting screechy).

I've been able to get some really awesome tones using this method:

romek

roachone

Sounds great. Can you post your patches for us?