GT1000CORE Shortcomings?

Started by ajb1965, October 12, 2020, 06:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajb1965

Hi All,

I'm building a pedalboard based rig around the GT1000 Core. It's backordered and should be here in a couple of weeks so I have time to plan the rest of the board and get it all here at the same time.  I've had some experience with the big GT so I know it's amazing but I was wondering if there are any effects that it doesn't do so well with or doesn't have, or any effects you folks always keep outside the GT.  I've got my 2 fav drives (Lightspeed and Plumes) that I'll be putting in front but I've got plenty of room on the board for any other goodies.

I play in a rock cover band that ranges from Beatles to Blink 182 but at home I love ambient tones and drones and even some prog rock when my arthritis isn't flaring up lol.  Oh and I do have the SY-1 already :P

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Cheers
AJB

Smokey 57

Hi there ajb1965,

I have the GT1000 and I've had it for just over a year - and only just recently have I been happy with my overall set-up.
What I found (and it might be just my particular setup) is that the Overdrive/Distortion offerings in the 1000 have been less
than pleasant, somewhat harsh and glassy. I use my GT through a PA amp setup and not a guitar amp, so I don't know a comparison
with a guitar amp.
So, what I have now are 3 external units for my drive/distortion - these are the Wampler Tumnus (for that slight break-up); the MXR
Timmy (slightly more drive and edge) and just recently the Fender Pugilist (full twin gain engines that rock my GT's heart out!). I
have these in a series loop in one Send/Return, and the other S/R is occupied by a Specular3 Reverb unit - the other area I feel I'm let
down by the GT. I love ambient tones (AKA Reverb) and I don't see a lot of choice in the GT, with only one real "Ambient" reverb. So,
the Specular3 is an amazing lush unit that craps all over Boss's reverbs, giving me an amazing array of full creamy reverbs.
Just my 5 cents worth, but now I'm happy enough to stop looking for extra effects and even not wait any longer on the Fractal FM3 list..!
Smokey

ajb1965

Thanks Smokey,

From what I remember about my GT1000 yes, the reverbs were lacking for the ambient side of things.  I have a nice verb (Ventris) already and may toss my fav delay on the board as well.  They are midi controlled so I probably will just put them after the GT in the chain.  No reason to use a loop for something that I'm never going to rearrange and can keep them stereo if I decide to go that route.  I have a Lightspeed and Plumes OD that will cover my push clean and chachunk in front of high gain needs, I'll probably put them in a loop and the SY-1 in the other. 

I actually like the high gain sounds out of the GT.  I got a great Boogie-ish sound out of my other unit.  I used a Laney FRFR back then that sounded amazing.  Loads better than the heavier and more expensive Friedman ASM12. With ASM I did have a lot of the 'harsh and glassy' sounds that I could never fully EQ out plus way too much bass.  This time I'll be pushing it with a KTN head using the power amp in with a 2x12 V30 cabinet.  I can't wait to crank it up!

Sounds like I'm all set then!  Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it :)

Cheers

Smokey 57

Cool AJB!

Hey, just curious... you mentioned that you wouldn't put your Reverb and delay in a loop, just after the GT in the chain. I wanted to do this with my reverb, because I didn't want to use up a loop - because I presumed that you have to place any external Reverb etc before the cab sim in the GT, or it wouldn't sound so good???
Is that not the case? Can I go straight out of my Gt's Main outs (after cab sims etc), to the inputs of my Reverb unit, then to the FRFR amp?

I would like to free up that loop to put my Pugilist in to be able to have more control over it...

Cheers

ajb1965

Hey Smokey,

You'll have to try it and see what it sounds like.  The reason I'm going to try it is because I will not be using cab sims in the GT since I will be running it through a guitar cab.  The 2x12 cab will perform the final sound coloration and the verb and delay will be before that.

If you want to save loops there's not really any reason to put OD pedals in one unless you will be using them in conjunction with one of the compressors in the GT.  I've always ran them right in front of any MFX I've used.  If I really WANt a compressor before an OD for a particular sound then I would use and OD and comp in the GT for that sound.

PAH

Don't get hung up on what order things are supposed to go in.  I've recently switched to putting my cab sim before the chorus, delay and reverb - all GT-1000 internal.  I find I like how they sound better after the cab.  Surf Rock guys often run a spring reverb before the amp.  I've heard of people doing "crazy" things like putting a tube screamer with very light overdrive after to cab sim, to emulate speaker distortion.  Lots of people run the Boss Metal Zone distortion in their amp's effects loop, or even bypass the preamp completely and use the Metal Zone as the preamp.  Try anything you think of, and hear how it sounds.  You might love it, hate it, or find it gets a great "different" tone for a one off sound. 

Smokey 57

Good constructive ideas guys - guess I should just give it a go.
I've only just finished constructing my "Pedal Board" which houses both my GT and all external effects - and I've tried to minimise the size and as a result there is no longer any room for adjustment should I want to change any order, or placement of gear etc. So, I was thinking if I found out that my idea was pointless (because it was not recommended by anyone) I would not bother with arduous task of restructuring my rig. Guess I can use some external cables and try out some different placements and if I find a superior combination, I'd be more inclined to rehash my rig..!

All's fun in guitars and gear!

Cheers guys! ;D

rectifier

Hello :)

I am a new member of the forum and I am interested to buy a GT-1000 CORE, so I have a few questions regarding the assignment of functions ( if you can help me please) ....

1) Is it possible to assign several other functions to the UP and DOWN buttons?

2) Is it possible to assign to an external switch (Boss FS-7) a  BANK UP and BANK DOWN functions?

Thanks

ajb1965

Quote from: PAH on October 15, 2020, 10:26:03 PM
Don't get hung up on what order things are supposed to go in.  I've recently switched to putting my cab sim before the chorus, delay and reverb - all GT-1000 internal.  I find I like how they sound better after the cab.  Surf Rock guys often run a spring reverb before the amp.  I've heard of people doing "crazy" things like putting a tube screamer with very light overdrive after to cab sim, to emulate speaker distortion.  Lots of people run the Boss Metal Zone distortion in their amp's effects loop, or even bypass the preamp completely and use the Metal Zone as the preamp.  Try anything you think of, and hear how it sounds.  You might love it, hate it, or find it gets a great "different" tone for a one off sound.

Great point.  Modeling gear doesn't necessarily follow normal conventions.  I put some pretty whacky things together with some of my Line 6 stuff that sounded great

admin

Quote from: rectifier on October 16, 2020, 04:45:05 AM
Hello :)

I am a new member of the forum and I am interested to buy a GT-1000 CORE, so I have a few questions regarding the assignment of functions ( if you can help me please) ....

1) Is it possible to assign several other functions to the UP and DOWN buttons?

2) Is it possible to assign to an external switch (Boss FS-7) a  BANK UP and BANK DOWN functions?

Thanks

Yes

Yes

jwoertz

The CORE has no CURNUM value setting. It's also missing the 4FX option. And you can't assign patch numbers to the up and down switches like on the full GT-1000.

jwoertz

Were you using high and low cuts and an IR? I found the complete opposite with the GT-1000 drives.

Quote from: Smokey 57 on October 13, 2020, 05:51:50 PM
Hi there ajb1965,

I have the GT1000 and I've had it for just over a year - and only just recently have I been happy with my overall set-up.
What I found (and it might be just my particular setup) is that the Overdrive/Distortion offerings in the 1000 have been less
than pleasant, somewhat harsh and glassy. I use my GT through a PA amp setup and not a guitar amp, so I don't know a comparison
with a guitar amp.
So, what I have now are 3 external units for my drive/distortion - these are the Wampler Tumnus (for that slight break-up); the MXR
Timmy (slightly more drive and edge) and just recently the Fender Pugilist (full twin gain engines that rock my GT's heart out!). I
have these in a series loop in one Send/Return, and the other S/R is occupied by a Specular3 Reverb unit - the other area I feel I'm let
down by the GT. I love ambient tones (AKA Reverb) and I don't see a lot of choice in the GT, with only one real "Ambient" reverb. So,
the Specular3 is an amazing lush unit that craps all over Boss's reverbs, giving me an amazing array of full creamy reverbs.
Just my 5 cents worth, but now I'm happy enough to stop looking for extra effects and even not wait any longer on the Fractal FM3 list..!
Smokey

Mats Orbation

Main shortcomings I've found:

1. It is a tad noisier/hummier (!?) that other similar units. Even when input and output levels (gain structure) are set up to a tee.
2. One has to be vigilant about the whole gain structure in order to make it optimal signal flow through. Takes a while to get right.
3. You really have to use one or both of the noise gates / suppresors in there. For very mild distortions, cranked amps, and compressors. Which irks me a bit.
4. The distortions, or even if use any of the amps semi cranked, with or without IRs, does seem a bit "nasal" and "phasey-hazey" after listeing and playing for a while. Compared to competition and onboard software amp plug ins for PC and MAC.

First you have to go into the INPUT gain setting and watch the meter "VU" on the pedals screen.
Then you have to watch the VOL KNOB on the upper right of the pedal. It is no way programmable, but in manual it tells us absolutely nothing about where the unity gain is set...12 o clock? fully clockwise, something else?

bosetuno

Quote from: Mats Orbation on January 28, 2022, 03:43:30 AM
Then you have to watch the VOL KNOB on the upper right of the pedal. It is no way programmable, but in manual it tells us absolutely nothing about where the unity gain is set...12 o clock? fully clockwise, something else?

I´ve no experience with GT1000CORE, but on the SY1000 unity gain seems to be at 12 o´clock. And indeed the volumen control adds more than 6db of digital gain and drives the DA converter into saturation. I talked about it here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33924.msg251107#msg251107

Mats Orbation

Quote from: bosetuno on January 28, 2022, 10:05:20 AM
I´ve no experience with GT1000CORE, but on the SY1000 unity gain seems to be at 12 o´clock. And indeed the volumen control adds more than 6db of digital gain and drives the DA converter into saturation. I talked about it here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33924.msg251107#msg251107
Yeah, but a little tiny mention in it in either the parameter guide, or the owners manual, would be great. It says only "volume control, for controlling the volume". Yeah, Boss, we see that already it says so above the knob and we wouldn't mistake it for anything else, like balance L&R control, or bass or treble knob.   ;) Granted it says "Output Level" and I take that for same as "volume". But nowhere else it says if it's just subtractive, i e unity gain at fully clockwise, or at 12 o'clock. The big one (Gt-1000) has that knob too.

The only thing to do to check this out, is to have a Y-splitter cable that goes to somewhere else before the Core. To make sure. the Core has no bypass switch as such if you don't use the tuner with its bypass function (not mute). But then it goes through the "output level" knob anyways. Som my guess is that that vol knob is outside the digital realm and doesn't hit the DA converter before it, but is totally analog afterwards... but one can't be sure. Maybe before any buffer though, but one can't be sure.