Control the GT1000 with Setlist Maker app and Midi

Started by Boss4Life, August 15, 2020, 06:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss4Life

I want to use my iPad Pro with Set List Maker to change my presets on the GT 1000. I have use this app several times before through the years. It is very convenient and has always worked well in the past. I also use this app to control my Roland GR 55. But that is a separate issue. My problem is not knowing how to set the midi settings in the GT 1000.

My settings are as follows:
RX CHANNEL Ch. 1
OMNI MODE OFF
TX CHANNEL RX
MIDI IN THRU MIDI OUT
USB IN THRU OFF
SYNC CLOCK INTERNAL
CLOCK OUT OFF
MAP SELECT PROG

I have been reading quite a bit, as much as I can, throughout the Internet. I found that someone mentioned to use the actual settings on the pedal to adjust things. Going into midi settings I found the device ID. I'm not even sure what that is but I changed it to 1 from 17.

It gets so confusing going back-and-forth that half the time I don't know if the problem is with me setting the parameters on the GT 1000 or not getting the settings right on the Set List Maker. I had it working on my GR 55 and when I started monkeying around with the GT 1000 I then came back to the GR 55 and it does not work now. So if someone could just please tell me if I have the settings right on the GT 1000 then I can at least concentrate on getting the right settings on the Set List Maker.

I appreciate anybody's help,
Chris

gumtown

The usual problem on typical Boss gear is in the "Midi MAP SELECT" setting.
With it in "FIXED" the GT-1000 will change patch in the same order as the received midi PC message, and also respond to a simple patch Change 0~127.

Once you select "MAP SELECT" to "PROGRAMMABLE" you may need to program in each patch change to map to a GT-1000 patch, and the GT-1000 will only respond to long patch change data which includes
"Bank Change" + "Control Change" + "Patch Change" all together to be able to select patches beyond the 128 patch change limit to include all the 200 User and 200 Preset patches.

Try changing the MAP SELECT to FIX and see if that helps.

Also changing the UNIT ID number affects system exclusive data transmission as used by the editor, so patches made with the previous Unit ID might possible not be accepted by the GT-1000 (until the UNIT ID matches).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Boss4Life

Hello, you are always so quick to respond and I appreciate that. I tried what you said and switched it to fixed but still the same result. I also sent a email to Arlo Leach who invented the Set List Maker app. I haven't heard back from him but it may be in his application as to where I am having the trouble. There is a light in the middle of the USB to midi cable. And when I touch the midi change on the app it still stays solid and I thought it should blank. Thanks again for your help and if you have any other ideas please let me know, thanks

admin

Use same procedure as here
(MUST READ)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9090.msg66757#msg66757

Setlistmaker with GR-55

According to ArloMedia  , the data input format is..

MSB-LSB-Program =  User Patch#                                         
--------------------------------------
00   00   00               1                                         
00   00   01               2                                         
00   00   02               3   

I set the 3 octets like 0 0 5 for patch 6 and I even tried
b00000 b02000 c005 which is also patch 6 but Bandhelper didn't change the patch to the GP-10

For Patch 6

MSB-LSB-Program =  User Patch#                                         
--------------------------------------
00   00   05                 6

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/board,3.0.html?PHPSESSID=frub4uclhnir6nrr1a9b2f48f6

Boss4Life

Hello and thanks for the reply, I have seen the first video and I have not seen the second video. Not sure if the second video helps me. In the first video Arlo puts a one in the MSB and skips the LSB and puts a one in the program area.

I tried to put in what you said 00 00 01 and that did not work at all, a error message popped up instead.

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Arie Franken

Midi received from an android app called "Linkesoft Songbook".
I managed to get my GT-1000 to change patches when I specify a midi instruction in the song. With : {midi:PC0} my GT1000 selects Patch 1-01. With instruction {midi:PC01} it goes to Patch 01-2. Unfortunately I can't get past Patch 25-3 with this instruction. After all, midi goes up to 128. The patches after patch 25-3 are therefore not accessible with this midi instruction. Presumably I need to modify "something" in my GT1000, or do I have to use another midi instruction in Linkesoft Songbook? Does anyone have a suggestion?

admin

Quote from: Arie Franken on September 17, 2022, 09:54:29 AMMidi received from an android app called "Linkesoft Songbook".
I managed to get my GT-1000 to change patches when I specify a midi instruction in the song. With : {midi:PC0} my GT1000 selects Patch 1-01. With instruction {midi:PC01} it goes to Patch 01-2. Unfortunately I can't get past Patch 25-3 with this instruction. After all, midi goes up to 128. The patches after patch 25-3 are therefore not accessible with this midi instruction. Presumably I need to modify "something" in my GT1000, or do I have to use another midi instruction in Linkesoft Songbook? Does anyone have a suggestion?

Must transmit MIDI Bank change message to address higher  patches

the GT-1000 will only respond to long patch change data which includes
"Bank Change" + "Control Change" + "Patch Change" all together to be able to select patches beyond the 128 patch change limit to include all the 200 User and 200 Preset patches.

Not every app supports that

Contact Linkesoft songbook developer

Boisdelac

As @admin already mentioned you have to select the banks with a certain MIDI-CC# command
Actually there are 250 user (U) and 250 preprogrammed factory patches (P) arranged in four banks with 125 patches each.

to select bank 1 ... patch U1-1 thru U25-5 ..... send MIDI Commands .... CC# 0, Value 0 - CC# 20, Value 0 - PC# 0...124         (0...124 because the GT1000 has got only 125 different patches per bank)

to select bank 2 ... patch U26-1 thru U50-5 ..... send  MIDI Commands ....  CC# 0, Value 1 - CC# 20, Value 0 - PC# 0...124

to select bank 3 ... patch P1-1 thru P25-5 ..... send MIDI Commands ....  CC# 0, Value 2 - CC# 20, Value 0 - PC# 0...124

to select bank 4 ... patch P26-1 thru P50-5 ..... send MIDI Commands ....  CC# 0, Value 3 - CC# 20, Value 0 - PC# 0...124

You can find the MIDI implementation statement here
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GT-1000-MIDI-Implementation.pdf

Arie Franken

Thank you for replying.
I understand that I have to specify multiple commands in Songbook.
Now Songbook is a simple android app in which you do not have a programmable midi machine. So you have to write the command yourself.
This is how I found out that a midi command starts and closes with a curly brace ({...}). So, by writing in Songbook: {midi: PC0} I finally got a patch switch working. The GT1000 switched the patch.

If I have to write several commands in Songbook, is that within the same { ....} or do I have to start and close with a {....}  for each command again and close it again?
Do I have to make adjustments in the GT1000 itself with Patch midi 2? They go (patch midi2), as Bousdelac says, from 26-1 to 50-5. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

gumtown

I would just try and keep it simple, shouldn't be any need to use more than 125 patches for a performance, so save/movearrange your GT-1000 patches in the U01:1 to U25:5 range.
Then the Songbook app only needs to deal with simple patch change only.

Boisdelac

Thera are 4 banks of patches with 125 patches per bank in the GT1000

bank 1 is patch U1-1 through U5-5
bank 2 is patch U26-1 through U50-5
bank 3 is patch P1-1 through P25-5
bank 4 is patch P26-1 through P50-5

In SONGSHEET try to include the following commands to your songsheets/leadsheet

To select bank 1, patch U1-1 through U25-5

{midi: CC 0.0, CC 20.0, PC n}  ....... n is related to a patch 0 ... 124 (125 total patches per bank)

To select bank 2 patch U26-1 through U50-5

{midi: CC 0.1, CC 20.0, PC n}

To select bank 3 patch P-1 through P25-5

{midi: CC 0.2, CC 20.0, PC n}

To select bank 4 patch U26-1 through U50-5

{midi: CC 0.3, CC 20.0, PC n}

You don´t need patch MIDI. In the GT1000 you only have to set the midi table to fixed. In tone studio click MENU and MIDI SETTING. Have a look at the screenshot

Arie Franken

Thanks for all the input. I managed to call all patches from Songbook. It works great! Now I have heard that with a midi command I could also set the BPM in every song that I then call up from Songbook. The command for calling the patch is as follows: {midi:CC0.0 CC20.1 PC17}
This then takes me to Patch 4-3 of my GT-1000.
Suppose I want to set the BPM of this song at 96 bpm. How should I write this in the midi line?
Thank you for replying
regards Arie

Boisdelac

I haven't found a MIDI SysEx command in the GT1000 yet to set the master BPM.

As a workaround try to set your Setlist Maker to send MIDI Beat Clock. Take a look at the Set List Makers manual.

http://www.setlistmaker.com/tutorials/sending_MIDI.html

And set the Boss GT 1000 to sync to an external MIDI beat clock.

Press .... Menu/Page 2/MIDI/MIDI Settings/Page 2/Sync Clock -> MIDI Auto

The downside is that if the external MIDI beat clock is lost, the GT 1000 will not revert to the original patch BPM.

But I think it is better to use a TAB switch to tap in the tempo. (Assign one in GT1000).

Arie Franken

Is about 2 years ago that I respond to this issue, so I hope I may ask something new about this issue. The conn3ectyion between my Linksoft Songbook app (android) is still working fine and I'm happy about that.
But can it be working the other way round? So, that by select a patch on my GT-1000, now Songbook react and shows the right song?

My GT-1000 should be able to send MIDI commands, but where to? In Songbook I only have an option to turn midi on or off. Then Songbook should receive an assignment to find the right song within the app. I really don't know how to give that command in my GT-1000.

gumtownadmin

I can only give a generalised answer.
The GT-1000 will need to have "PC-Out" enabled, that will send midi program change out, also the Midi TX channel must match, quite likely the same channel as midi RX, since you say that part is working.
There is a possible catch though, if the patches exceed the first patch bank boundary (first 100 or 128 patches) the songbook app might not recognize bank change midi data.
Another option is to not dnable the system PC Out, and use the patch midi option to send patch change only, with no bank change options enabled, but this will need to be set for each patch.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.