VG-88

Started by cvalona, May 20, 2020, 02:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cvalona

Hi folks, Can somebody tell me when the VG 88 was first introduced and when Roland discontinued it ?  Thanks for help.

And, in your very trusted opinion, would a VG-88 in top condition Version still be worth buying today ?

Stay Safe everyone, Charles

gumtown

VG-88 was released in 2000, and ran to about 2006 or 2008
The VG-99 replaced it in 2008.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

cvalona wrote>

Thank You. Also, do think that the VG-88 is still a viable product today ?

admin

Used examples often sell for under $200 in USA

If you pursue a VG-88 - be sure its already loaded with Firmware 2.0

The 2000 Roland VG-88 generation product requires an expert to apply firmware updates

Too Many folks did "brick" their VG-88 trying to apply a firmware update, and Roland no longer services these 20 year old units   

https://www.roland.com/us/products/vg-88/

cvalona

Hi everyone, still seeking advise as to whether or not the VG-88 Version 2 would still be worth buying?  I know this sounds like a loaded
question, because I realize that its a highly objective one. 

I have a GR-33 that I love and I use my Parker PDF105 with the Ghost System in it and love it. Very minimal tracking issues and only on some
of the patches at that.

However, I love the idea of having one piece of gear in my studio that has some modeling capabilities plus the alternate tuning capability.

Yes I realize that there are newer products available, but they come with a price point that I'm not all that anxious to dive into.

What really gripes me is that like everything, and Roland is just as guilty as the next guy, is that each time they come out with something
new it's always the greatest thing in Rolands history.

An example of what I'm trying to say is...I still use my Tascam MSR16 on a monthly basis and in fact some of my clients insist on tracking on
it.

Just because it's 25 years old doesn't mean it isn't still a great product.

From what I can tell by reading threads and watching some you tube videos, the VG-88 is simpler to use than say the VG-99 which apparently
was the VG-88 successor?  Flipping thru menus and cranking knobs and such isn't really my way of having fun.

Any help folks, and thanks a million.

Stay safe one and all, Charles

cvalona

Yes the one I'd be getting is the Version 2 model.

I realize that the VG-88 might not be as fully equipped as say the VG-99 or the newest and the greatest SY-1000 but in your opinion is it still a contender or just should I just leave it out in the pasture where I found it ?

I can get this one, in very clean condition, v2, and for $150.00

Thanks again, C

gumtown

Quote from: cvalona on May 21, 2020, 01:08:39 PM
Yes the one I'd be getting is the Version 2 model.

I realize that the VG-88 might not be as fully equipped as say the VG-99 or the newest and the greatest SY-1000 but in your opinion is it still a contender or just should I just leave it out in the pasture where I found it ?

I can get this one, in very clean condition, v2, and for $150.00

Thanks again, C

$150 is a good price, and I think you will get much more out from it in creativity and enjoyment, than what you will have paid for it.

All you will need after buying the VG-88 is a GK cable splitter to use the VG-88 and GR-33 at the same time.  :)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

cvalona

Thank You for helping me.

shawnb

One note - there have been a # of complaints filed on this thread...

Please do NOT use the "report to moderator" link to reply to a post...  Use the "reply" button!   

"Report to moderator" is for filing complaints!   ;D
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

chrish

^That happens to me sometimes (hit the report button) as I scroll the screen. I do like the new phones better then the old flip phones even though it had that Captain Kirk kind of feel to it .

And remember thoses old dial phones attached with a cord.

I guess some gear keeps getting better.

But that 1980 GR300, still hard to beat.

And some newer gear like the SY300 can be hard on the ears.

Just a matter of personal taste,  and you don't know until you try it out for yourself.