MUSTANG GTX - USER Reviews

Started by admin, May 03, 2020, 12:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

MUSTANG GTX Reviews (Post Yours Here)
=================================
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/30460093/
Bryan Hanghoj wrote>
"My GTX100 arrived today. First impression is the amp is fantastic.

After messing around for a couple of hours with some presets, adjusting them, and trying out some user created ones on the Fender Tone application it seems the amp can do pretty much everything.

Super nice bass response was the first thing I noticed. Tried a blues junior patch with the bright cut eq mode enabled and it sounded fantastic so thanks to dazco for the tip. Really responsive to changes in picking dynamics. Nice and clean when picking lightly and breaks up nicely when you dig in.

Works fantastic as an acoustic amp as well. The GTX-7 footswitch and especially the looper function is extremely user friendly.

Its gonna take a long time to go through everything which I'm very much looking forward to.

Only problem was Im from the UK and the amp was shipped with a European style power cable but luckily I had the correct cable.

Very happy with it so far"

hsuru4u

So is the gtx finally a great modeler amp from fender? I have to go back and play it again at gc soon.I was not blown away when i spent 2 hrs with it there a few weeks ago.I mean it sounded full but when i jumped to the tm amps it pailed in comparison dynamics wise and i went back and forth and to some other amps there tube and modeling. I was ready to buy but wasnt pushed over the edge.

admin

Quote from: hsuru4u on May 03, 2020, 10:33:15 AM
So is the gtx finally a great modeler amp from fender? I have to go back and play it again at gc soon.I was not blown away when i spent 2 hrs with it there a few weeks ago.I mean it sounded full but when i jumped to the tm amps it pailed in comparison dynamics wise and i went back and forth and to some other amps there tube and modeling. I was ready to buy but wasnt pushed over the edge.

You Ask same question every week?

Must RTM and do a deep dive on Mustang GT/ GTX to get the most from it and GTX-7 footswitch

This combo satisfies bulk of my live gig needs

If low volome use is required - enable a different final EQ

But the Tonemaster Amps do have higher resolution DSP and higher cost)  if the Tonemaster Fender Deluxe tones are what you are shooting for 100% of the time  ( they are one trick ponies)

Use what works for you   

Get a Kemper if you seek more detailed tones

And insurance when the typical beer mugs start spilling.

hsuru4u

Thanx. I was more curious to see if it was indeed amazing compared to what i use now. I dont like having so much similar hear around at home. Its just wasteful to me for my needs. I prefer an all in one modeling solution so i check out model amps when they are avail to try. I may revisit trying it again in a few months . I am always suprised by vids for the helix that a user says hicut this and lowcut this and eq this and remove this-add sag here ect.. and the tone will be great. I want a plug and play 99% of the time like a tube amp to me. I know everyone is diff so tone is subjective so my needs and wants are not the majority. I had the katana and liked it but didnt love it. So if i could find a used gt200 locally for dirt cheap i would likely but and update it as i prefer stereo as well. Wonder why fender didnt release a gtx200 head or combo?

Smash

Maybe portability - just add a second powered cab for stereo. I must say from the YouTube demos they sound glorious in stereo - very rich.

Also been really impressed with the Fender amp models - they seem to have nailed them. Agree with general comments about high gain stuff slightly off the mark but convinced they're tweakable.

Bemused by some of the Katana comparison vids - even though the GTX has at least as many usable sounds as the Katana it always gets marked down because some of the 40 odd models aren't spot on! I mean can the Katana do a decent Fender clean? Any Fender? Not from what I've listened to.

I've actually put my DXR10s up for sale and thinking of pulling the trigger on GTX100 as an all rounder.

hsuru4u

will go back soon and retry the gtx100. As i said if i can find a cheap gt200 i would jump on it and update it as i prefer stereo. i think the demos i have head ise the xlr ous as they are in stereo i guess cause it sounds stereo in the demos..is that correct?

JiveTurkey

Quote from: Smash on June 25, 2020, 03:49:32 PM
Maybe portability - just add a second powered can for stereo. I must say from the YouTube demos they sound glorious in stereo - very rich.

Also been really impressed with the Fender amp models - they seem to have nailed them. Agree with general comments about high gain stuff slightly off the mark but convinced they're tweakable.

Bemused by some of the Katana comparison vids - even though the GTX has at least as many usable sounds as the Katana it always gets marked down because some of the 40 odd models aren't spot on! I mean can the Katana do a decent Fender clean? Any Fender? Not from what I've listened to.

I've actually put my DXR10s up for sale and thinking of pulling the trigger on GTX100 as an all rounder.
Man; I think the high gain stuff is surprisingly fantastic on the GT. 5150, IIc+, Uber, Supersonic are all great imo.

admin

I dont even touch my Katana for past 3 months - its Fender GTX 100

working on a Stereo power Amp mod   - to support external cab in stereo

hsuru4u

You mean putting another poweramp in a cab with speaker? and somehow interfacing it with the gtx100? Fender should just have a stero version gtx200

Smash

It's got XLR outs speaker compensated to go out to desk in stereo. No need to make it heavier or larger.

The stereo recording you've heard on YouTube are 90% straight feed from the XLRs which are remarkably faithf to the speaker sound as far as I can tell

admin

Quote from: hsuru4u on June 25, 2020, 06:36:04 PM
You mean putting another poweramp in a cab with speaker? and somehow interfacing it with the gtx100? Fender should just have a stero version gtx200

No
- by swapping out the GTX 100 stock  icePOWER AS100AS1  Power amp board with a 200AS2 Stereo Power amp board
this allows using normal 100 watt 8 ohm speakers ( not the rare stock 4 ohm speaker)

Some is explained here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28387.0

and here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20910.msg205997#msg205997

Mustang GT 100 / GTX 100 uses ICEPOWER 100AS1 Mono 100 watt power Amp Board
https://icepower.dk/download/2431/
https://icepower.dk/download/1627/
100 watt @ 4 ohm Power  Amp / Power Supply Board

Mustang GT 200 uses  ICEPOWER 100AS2  Stereo 2 x 100 watt power Amp Board
https://icepower.dk/download/2431/
2 x 100 watt @ 4 ohm Power Amp / Power Supply Board
QuoteContaining a capable fly back power supply with a continuous power capability of 100 W and a short-term power of 300 W, combined with a 2x 100 W class D amplifier. The 100AS2 is perfect for applications such as stereo hifi and home automation amplifiers, active speakers, studio monitors as well as 2 channel guitar or bass amplifiers without the need for forced cooling.
See IcePower Brochure
https://icepower.dk/download/1627/

(DO not Read below unless you are qualified)
------------------------------------------------
My plan for my 3 year old Mustang GT 40  - Stereo Head Power Amp Upgrade Mod
( and possibly GTX 100

Install a ICE200AS2  STEREO power Amp Board

2 x @ 150W @ 4 ohm Power module,
https://www.profusionplc.com/parts/icepower200as2

https://icepower.dk/download/7088/

and a custom Output jack Board with 1/4" Speaker output jack for the new third party "Right Channel passive Guitar cab

hsuru4u

omg its that simple? looks like the boards are same size....why didnt fender just release a stereo head version without speakers using that ice chip?  thats like a no brainer

admin

Quote from: hsuru4u on June 26, 2020, 04:00:14 PM
omg its that simple? looks like the boards are same size....why didnt fender just release a stereo head version without speakers using that ice chip?  thats like a no brainer

They looked at past Mustang Amp Sales performance numbers sold, and the Musang IV  / GT 200 2 x 12" Stereo versions were lower demand / sold less  - due to higher dealer cost,

and folks today think a 2 x 12" Guitar amp is too big for their commuter  SMART Car   

They have no plans to introduce a new $625 "Mustang GTX 200 " Stereo model 

hsuru4u

Got it. not with this incarnation but if all of a sudden the trens is 2-12 again that would likely change..lol.
A head would be a simple addition and less $

Larsson

Quote from: admin on June 26, 2020, 04:31:18 PM
and folks today think a 2 x 12" Guitar amp is too big for their commuter  SMART Car   

They have no plans to introduce a new $625 "Mustang GTX 200 " Stereo model
Maybe they should follow the example from Roland JC-40 / Orange Rocker 32 and make a Mustang GTX 2 x 10".

hsuru4u

Quote from: Larsson on July 07, 2020, 05:49:08 AM
Maybe they should follow the example from Roland JC-40 / Orange Rocker 32 and make a Mustang GTX 2 x 10".

That orance rocker 32 is a screamer. I am holding off to see whats next for the fender modeling and at that time hope they bring back a stereo head/amp. I honestly have enough amps for now.With all the wireless issues i hope they drop that in the amp as well next time.

admin

a few weeks ago I participated in a Blues Jam with Fito de la Parra (Canned Heat), I brought my 65 Fender Deluxe Reverb Amp and my Mustang GTX100 Amp,  it was no contest, for low volume living room jam with live drums, Bass, Keyboards. Harmonica, Vocals, after a brief A/B sound test   I ended putting the 64 Deluxe Reverb back in the Van, it sounded way too loud and would be tough to get a decent tone at the lower volume levels required for the small room , so I used the Mustang GTX100 with one patch all day:  for patch signal chain = 63 Spring Reverb , Compressor as a Booster, GA15 Amp/ Cab model , Tremolo, Delay -used the GTX-7 Footswitch to toggle effects, used same patch for 4 hours. I also had a genuine 64 Fender Tube Reverb unit patched in between Guitar out (my 2020 Fender Jazzmaster Pro Am II ) and Mustang GTX100 Guitar Input   for vintage surf tones. And dialed back a bit for blues solos -tone sounded like T Bone Walker/ Johnny Guitar Watson - like grinding Tweed Amp, but at manageable volume , all in attendance gave me compliments on my tone, and Fito assumed Mustang  GTX100  it was Some type of  a Fender Tube AMP -so this Stealth DSP Amp Modeler has become an essential tool for my needs.

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/the-official-fender-mustang-gtx-amp-thread-2020.2113060/page-76#post-30521047
Riffy wrote>

It sounds GREAT at home levels. The volumes are not super sensitive to small changes. You can adjust amp volume, preset volumes and overall volumes with ease. Super easy at home and GREAT sounds!