Waza Air Mod for 1/8" Stereo Line output

Started by Mrchevy, May 02, 2020, 10:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Quote from: Mrchevy on May 22, 2020, 01:56:50 PM
The 1/4" jack on the headphones is for pairing only. You can not charge the transmitter with that jack. In fact, if you leave the transmitter plugged in to store it, it will eventually drain the transmitter battery. The headphones and transmitter both have a USB port and that is how they are charged. Seems like they could work it out to pair, charge, and output from that jack. Time will tell.

Line-6 probably has a patent on the  1/4" jack for charging the transmitter  ( as used on G-10)

NUX Mighty AIR features a special TRS input Charging jack for its B5RC Wireless Transmitter

admin

Quote from: Mrchevy on May 22, 2020, 07:53:15 AM
Steve, I made 1 edit on picture #2 with the yellow text boxes. The edit was to indicate the tip, ring, sleeve connection for the jack. I have loaded it to my Imgur  account. Can we swap out the picture in the PDF tutorial? and what do you need from me, or will this work. Also, is it possible to make the tutorial a sticky in the Waza Air section

Done
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1no55aaww76IiSrwJ9T6etIznP-XL7Dw4

Mrchevy

Muchas Gracias :)
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Ronner

What an absolute Legend!, did the mod this afternoon with some tentative drilling and some patient soldering. I managed to pull it off and it came out better than expected! photos posted below. Thanks so much for posting this mod, can't believe Boss didn't add this to begin with! :o
P.S wire used was clear enamel insulation, not bare copper.  :P

Mrchevy

Dammit, the value of mine being the only one in existence just dropped 10 fold  ;D Glad to see someone benefited from this mod and joined the " Waza Air Mod Squad"
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

admin

Quote from: gab696 on February 04, 2021, 07:15:35 AM
Hi,
This small bluetooth transceiver module should fit inside the Boss Waza.
This can be a alternative way to record the Waza sound...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000096888920.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.45881d2cqCti3q&algo_pvid=b2568aed-6d19-40fe-9966-0f6e7e1991d7&algo_expid=b2568aed-6d19-40fe-9966-0f6e7e1991d7-0&btsid=0bb0624616118407348493578eaa40&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

What do you think about this idea ?

not practical as its rare to find an IOS/Android app that can Bluetooth sync with a third party Steteo Bluetooth audio Transmitter and receive its bluetooth audio stream and record its audio on the smartphone
Same with Win/Mac apps too

- the world is geared for Bluetooth audio going the opposite direction - (smartphone source transmits bluetooth audio to a third party Bluetooth receiver in a speaker   

and remember Bluetooth remains terrible high latency for real time audio performance use  -in Waza Headphones they use Bluetooth for the audio backing tracks and a separate UHF RF low latency connection for the Mono wireless Guitar input

Mrchevy

Quote from: admin on February 04, 2021, 08:27:41 AM
not practical as its rare to find an IOS/Android app that can Bluetooth sync with a third party Bluetooth audio Transmitter and receive its bluetooth audio stream and record its audio on the smartphone
Same with Win/Mac apps too

- the world is geared for Bluetooth audio going the opposite direction - (smartphone source transmits bluetooth audio to a third party Bluetooth receiver in a speaker   

and remember Bluetooth remains terrible high latency for real time audio performance use  -in Waza Headphones they use Bluetooth for the audio backing tracks and a separate UHF RF low latency connection for the Mono wireless Guitar input

Agreed. The main point being the latency. On a side note, there are also far better options to record guitar. these headphones are awesome for personal jamming and I have no regrets with my purchase, but in all honesty, this output mod while fully functional, is not really practical against the many other options of guitar modeling and amplification. If the headphones are all you have then this mod is a very good option with no latency at all, and very nice modelling and effects. Honestly, I would recommend the headphones for personal practice for sure. If you want to be able to record and still have some level of wireless and portability, I would be more apt to go with the Katana Air ( or similar amps), for the same price or less. Just my 2 cents.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

admin

Quote from: Mrchevy on February 05, 2021, 08:28:30 AM
If you want to be able to record and still have some level of wireless and portability, I would be more apt to go with the Katana Air ( or similar amps), for the same price or less. Just my 2 cents.

Look at NUX MIGHTY AIR AMP
https://www.zzounds.com/item--NUXMIGHTYAIR?siid=279353

philko

Hey guys, not sure if this has been talked about, I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm wondering if it's possible to use the Boss Waza Air headphones for monitoring guitar/ voice/ DAW output via AUX connection to an audio interface or computer?
I'm aware the headphones weren't built for that, but as a hobby musician it'd be really convenient not to have to buy an additional pair of studio headphones. The mod described above is awesome, but I believe doesn't enable this functionality, right? If anyone has ideas on how it could be done, I'd be stoked to hear your thoughts! Thanks 

admin

There are more suitable headphones for that application
ATH-M40X

The mod described here is FOR WAZA AIR OUTPUT

admin

Line-6 probably has a patent on the  1/4" jack for charging the transmitter  ( as used on G-10

Nux MIGHTY AIR STEREO AMP  charges its excellent included NUX B-5RC WIRELESS in same manner

Mrchevy

Quote from: philko on March 13, 2021, 06:32:19 AM
Hey guys, not sure if this has been talked about, I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm wondering if it's possible to use the Boss Waza Air headphones for monitoring guitar/ voice/ DAW output via AUX connection to an audio interface or computer?
I'm aware the headphones weren't built for that, but as a hobby musician it'd be really convenient not to have to buy an additional pair of studio headphones. The mod described above is awesome, but I believe doesn't enable this functionality, right? If anyone has ideas on how it could be done, I'd be stoked to hear your thoughts! Thanks
You might be able to monitor your computer if it has Bluetooth. You can connect to it that way. Trying to record a track though while monitoring other tracks would be pretty bad because of BT latency. Besides, Waza Air BT is not exactly reliable. Short answer is I would just buy headphones. Even cheap ones would be far more practical and issue free
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

ped

Thanks for this. I assume the mod is the same for the Waza Air Bass? I'm being careful as I recently bought an Airstep controller only to find that it doesn't work with the bass version, as there must be some differences somewhere...

gumtown

Quote from: ped on July 24, 2023, 02:05:17 AMThanks for this. I assume the mod is the same for the Waza Air Bass? I'm being careful as I recently bought an Airstep controller only to find that it doesn't work with the bass version, as there must be some differences somewhere...
The Bass products use quite a different type of firmware, and the Airstep (KAT in particular) requires a specific Katana firmware to work.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Quote from: ped on July 24, 2023, 02:05:17 AMThanks for this. I assume the mod is the same for the Waza Air Bass? ..

This is a hardware modification,  and we assume Waza Air Bass employs similar PCB as Waza Air - so this procedure for adding a TRS Stereo Line Output jack should work there too. 

fausto_rasa

Great job!

Just a question, does it sounds both ways at the same time? Can you record on the computer while you play and listen with the headphones?

Elantric

fausto_rasa

Great, thanks! I am goint to order the jack then...   ;D

fausto_rasa

Thank you for the info! Mod made and working. I have used a 3.5 jack and certainly it is really difficult to drill the earphones just in the place and get all closed and fit. I had to make the hole a bit longer just to move the jack one mm down, but nothing important. I preferred that risk than a 2.5 jack, I don't like them, but if you want an easier job use a 2.5 just as said.

fausto_rasa

I haven't been able to record properly the signal that comes out of the jack, the volume is too low. Have you tried to record what you are playing? Has it worked fine?

If I connect earphones to the jack is only a bit lower than with the waza, but goog enough to listen to music. The problem is when I try to send the signal to the computer. I have used a BOSS BR-80 as an audio interface, it's the only one I have, but I am planning to buy a focusrite if it has to work properly...

Mrchevy

There are several ways to increase output. The volume roller on the side of the headphones. In the patch itself via gain and output levels. I have found adding the EQ at the end of the patch and boosting volume output by raising the Gain also works. On the BR80 , there is a guitar in and a line in. use the line in. Thats all I got. hope this helps.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones