Artist Tweedtone 20R

Started by admin, December 14, 2019, 10:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Artist (Aussie brand) Tweedtone 20R

https://www.artistguitars.com.au/buy/artist-tweedtone20r-20-watt-tube-guitar-amplifier/70245
About this Artist TweedTone20R 20 Watt Tube Guitar Amplifier Combo
The Artist Tweedtone20R amplifier provides tonnes British Tube-driven, vintage-voiced tone at an affordable price.  This amp has 2 channels, clean and overdrive.  There is a Footswitch jack underneath the back of the amp to switch between channels.  Footswitch is not included.

Both channels independent volume controls, and there is a master volume control which adjusts the overall volume of the amplifier.  So you can really drive the clean channel hard to get that nice warm overdrive "breakup" at levels that won't annoy your neighbours.  Switching to the Overdrive channel provides a thicker, creamier overdrive for harmonically-rich blues and rock tones.

The 3-band EQ is highly responsive and allows for a vast array of tones to suit your personal preferences.

This amp is loaded with a high-performance Celestion Seventy 80 12 inch speaker for excellent all-round performance and tone.

The Tech Features
Model:- Tweedtone20R

Brand:- Artist

Output Power:-  20W(RMS)

Speaker:- 1 x 12 inch , 8 Ohm Celestion Seventy 80 Speaker

Tubes:-

2 x 6BQ5(EL84)  Power Tubes
3 x 12AX7 Preamp Tubes
Control Functions:-

INPUT - Connection to the instrument.
CLEAN VOLUME - Sets the volume of the Clean channel.
DRIVE BUTTON - Manually switch between the Clean and Drive channels.
DRIVE GAIN - Sets the amount of gain or distortion in the overdrive channel.
DRIVE VOLUME - Sets the volume of the Drive channel.
TREBLE - Adjusts the high-frequency equalization range as required.
MIDDLE - Gives active midrange equalization with boost & cut.
BASS - Adjusts the low-frequency equalization range as required.
MASTER VOLUME - Adjusts the overall volume of either the Clean. or "Drive" channels.
MASTER REVERB - Adjusts the amount of reverb added to the normal signal.
FOOTSWITCH INPUT - Underneath the back of the amp.  Footswitch not included.
STANDBY SWITCH - Switches the amp in/out of standby power mode. Wait until 30 seconds after the power switch is turned on to prolong your tube life.
POWER SWITCH - Main amplifier ON & OFF.
AC Power:- 220-240V 50/60Hz
Power Consumption:- 85W

Dimensions:- 495w x 445h x 255d

Weight:- 18.5Kg

Optional Accessories:-  Belcat FST22 Latching Footswitch

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/artist-belcat-or-subzero.720923/
QuoteCount wrote>

Got myself an Artist (Aussie brand) Tweedtone 20R tube amp that is really impressive. A sort of Blues Junior clone but at half the price and with a few more knobs, made in China. I tried it against a Blues Junior and found it not vastly dissimilar but with a greater tonal capability.
I got a bit curious as to whether this was an original model, a copy or a rebrand. After doing some research I found that it is identical to the Belcat Tube 20R, which is also branded as a Subzero, apart from the cabinet design. Even the instruction sheet that masquerades as the manual is the same apart from the name of the amp. Seems to be a common marketing ploy to sell the same product under diferent brand names for diferent countries. Nothing new in that though as the Japanese were doing the same thing with guitars in the sixties and seventies.
The Tweedtone is 20watt RMS, 12"Celestial seventy 80 speaker, 2 EL84 Electro harmonic and 3 12AX7 Electro Harmonix tubes. Here are a few pics for those interested. It is one impressive amp, good range of tone, seems robustly made and, based on the couple of gigs it's done so far, definitely a keeper.

Tips from users of Amps from the production line 
https://ratvalveamps.com/subzero-tube-20r

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/belcat-tube-20r.191187/

https://www.guitarworld.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24225

Modded versions
https://ratvalveamps.com/component/content/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=126&Itemid=233

Elantric

I participate in a regular "living room volume" Blues Jam with founding members of Canned Heat, and last time I showed up with a Vox VX50GTV, with its external 19VDC power brick , and without even plugging it in, I was reprimanded"
"why you bring that #@$% type amp here!" 
It was bit unnerving.

Luckily the Bass Player let me borrow his spare Fender Blues Junior III, and that worked very well
Bulk of my genuine Tube Amps are 50 watt monsters, or vintage blackface Fenders with no Master Volumes that sound fantastic at full live gig volume, but are a bit of pain, or must use many pedals to get good sound at lower volume 

I do own a MonoPrice 1st generation 15 Watt Tube Amp, but I never found it my cup of tea "too cold, and very brittle speaker, and really terrible reverb. Reviewing the expense of modifying the Monoprice with new parts and add limited free TIME to dive in and modify the MonoPrice amp, I have been reviewing all my options 

After some research I found the " Artist Tweed Tone 20R" on a few Youtube channels . the OEM Chinese Amp built to Artist company specs is being imported into USA and Europe from the Artist Company ( Australian)   and while cruising ebay last weekend, I saw  the USA Artist Dealer had a deeply discounted customer return example on offer, so I purchased it  figured I would give it a try.
It just arrived on hour ago , and I got to play with it for 15 minutes with my Gibson custom shop ES-339, and I can already hear this amp is voiced right and will be perfect.
Its actually a great sounding little amp right out of the box with better Reverb than the Blues Junior III ,and far more  versatile with its foot switchable Lead channel that has plenty of gain on tap. , while the clean channel has a wide range of gain too and good warm tone. Not brittle like a Vox AC15C1-TV-BC  ( which sounds great when cranked, but too constricted when its master is too low)     
My example duplicates the tone in the Brett Kingman video below, but I imagine the prior owner may have found a bit of jangle ringing  - all due to a slightly ringing EL84 Output tube, solved under 15 seconds with re-seating the tube back into its tube socket. 

Recommended

I can hear "Why not use a VG-99 or GP-10 or Helix, or Kemper or AXE-FX or ( insert your favorite DSP modeler)   and plug into the PA?

Because there is barely a PA  - only a single 20 year old Fender 10"coax powered PA monitor, and this is a place where you want to setup and tear down fast - no fooling around ;)   

admin

admin

Another great gig with Artist Tweedtone 20R amp.
1st gig with new band, and back line amplification was the requested guitar sound arrangement with trio + singer
Just used Artist Tweedtone 20R  clean channel,  all tone controls at noon, clean channel Volume at 9:00 o'clock. Master volume at 10:00 o'clock,    the 12" Celestion Speaker worked great, as this amp is voiced for this model speaker

Using my budget pedal board which now sports a "The Dualist" pedal for distortion and TC Spark for clean boost, and relied on genuine 64 Fender Tube Reverb for surf tunes -worked great

SteveT20R

Artist Tweedtone 20R amp

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in buying one of these amps, only good comments on the forums which is encouraging. The Artist Tweedtone 20R amp has been around for a while now, has anyone had any reliability issues or needed to replace the EL84's.

I'm very interested to learn more about these amps.

Regards

Steve

admin

Quote from: SteveT20R on September 03, 2022, 01:03:51 AMArtist Tweedtone 20R amp

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in buying one of these amps, only good comments on the forums which is encouraging. The Artist Tweedtone 20R amp has been around for a while now, has anyone had any reliability issues or needed to replace the EL84's.

I'm very interested to learn more about these amps.

Regards

Steve

I own a refurb from the Award USA ebay store.

Been using it for gigging past 3 years. Replaced a preamp tube that became too noisy.

The Lead channel is "meh" and actually comprised of a opamp amp distortion circuit with cljpping diodes
I never use it.

It has a digital reverb block which is not too bad. I use a separate genuine 63  Fender tube Reverb 1st in signal chain for surf / old 60s Soul tunes

I stay on the clean channel all times at gig

I like it has a Master Volume and my rig I can dial the decibel level down and still have usable tone

Its a great clean pedal platform  the EQ I keep at noon

Its not a Blues Junior - its a bit cleaner and a better pedal platform.

I use a board with micro pedals (Mooer Blues Mood, Mosky MM Silver overdrive (Timmy clone) 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30366.0#msg224282
This amp Works fine for me
The Brett Kingman review presents an accurate exhibit of this amps performance

Kurnol

I bought one secondhand, after about 2 months the output transformer blew.  Artist we're very helpful and sent me a schematic, told me a blues junior output transformer would be fine.  They also recommended replacing the plastic input jack with a metal switchcraft one and upgrading the flyback diodes from 1Kv to 3Kv (something they did with later versions)

admin

My Artist Tweedtone 20R was purchased cheap as an open box discounted amp from the Artist USA Ebay  store in Chicago in 2019

The footswitch was not included and never worked when I tried my typical Hosa dual latching footswitch with TRS connection

Finally tracked down the problem

I reflowed the solder on this small footswitch/speaker out Jack PC board - the Yellow Green wire is one of the Output Transformer Speaker connections - the entire board apparently left the factory (which I believe to be same China OEM factory as many higher cost amp brands) with marginal cold solder joints on this board.
This past year Ive been using this amp for a cover band and last week I noticed power loss and occasional harsh noise from stage vibration

Using my rubber mallet I could induce vibration to the chassis while running test tone signal and tracked the problem to the poor soldering on this board.

Last night had 1st gig since implementing the repair and it was like a new amp -finally the low frequencies have far more dynamic range

And a common latching footswitch finally works for Drive boost on off.

Bottom line - insuring robust  electrical connections exist in all portions of your signal path are crucial to your tone.

Elantric

Artist Tweedtone 20R is 99% same circuit as Fender Blues Junior III, with a few differences
https://www.audioservicemanuals.com/f/fender/fender-blues/10707331-fender-blues-junior-iii-schematic-rev-d

Like some Orange Guitar Amplifiers, It employs a G2Semi G21A21 DSP board for its reverb 
http://pdf-html.ic37.com/pdf_file_B/20200531/pdf_pdf/pdf6/ETC/G21A21_datasheet_1080359/176970/G21A21_datasheet.pdf

and it includes a built in 4558 op amp overdrive circuit for the relay operated Lead channel

Elantric

I now own two of these Artist Tweedtone 20R

Latest one built in 2022, has a sweeter sounding usable overdrive channel ( which is a dpdt relay engaged marshall Guvn'r type opamp overdrive ) , but as always must pay attention to loose screws, and wonky /rattling preamp tubes which manifests as rumble distortion on low E string

Tightening everything and swapping out a noisy EHX 12AX7A for a JJ in the 1st preamp stage solved all issues on my #2 amp

My #1 which Ive used in dozens of gigs past 2 years, currently  has an intermittent no sound issue ,  identified it returns to working condition after a blow on side chassis with rubber mallet - probably a result of internal poor solder connection I must track down soon as summer is full of gigs

Elantric