SY-1000 - Firmware Wish List

Started by admin, December 12, 2019, 03:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

and my other small request is to fix the Master Patch Level,
when the Control Function "GK Vol" is set to "Patch Volume 100" the patch Master volume will not save at any other value than 100.
Which has left me using EQ2 Level to trim patch volume differences.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

chrish

Quote from: gumtown on October 16, 2020, 07:13:57 PM
and my other small request is to fix the Master Patch Level,
when the Control Function "GK Vol" is set to "Patch Volume 100" the patch Master volume will not save at any other value than 100.
Which has left me using EQ2 Level to trim patch volume differences.
that sounds like a bug. If Roland fixes the bugs, I'm OK with that.  :)

Frank

I'd like some kind of 'Scribble Strip' or the ability to name/specify in free text, the function of each pedal when in "MANUAL" control mode.

For example, I like to configure my SY-1000, so that CTL2, is permanently set to switch between manual and patch mode.

At this point I'd like all the remaining switches on the SY-1000 to perform different functions within a given patch (not system wide), for example:
- NUM1-MIDI CC# and INST1 ON/OFF
- NUM2-MIDI CC# and INST1 LFO1 RATE
- NUM3-MIDI CC# and CHORUS ON/OFF
- NUM4-MIDI CC# and REVERB ON/OFF

What I'd like then, is to be able to label each pedal's function accordingly, even in abbreviated form, such as:
- NUM1= CC#13+INST
- NUM2= CC#14+LFO1RATE

Rather than the unit only displaying the function from the drop down list or the 3 horizontal lines, with no indication of what that pedal's function is currently set to.

stub

Agreed, that would be super useful.

BROCKSTAR

Ok here's one that shouldn't take any additional DSP coding or anything. Should just be a change of coding to make this work?

I have one of the knobs under the screen set for guitar to midi, so I can activate a external synth, however I hate that you have to turn the knob right to turn on and left to turn off. How about making it turn on / off with a press of the knob like it does if you have the tuner assigned to one of the knobs. Makes it much easier to hit during performances instead of twisting a knob. This way I don't have to use up a CTL pedal for CC#7 to turn on/off external synth volume.

chrish

Quote from: jassy on March 18, 2020, 12:42:13 PM
Yes I know there is a filter section in some of the synths, but my request is for a FX filter that can be applied to everything.
Just imagine a good filter section (fx) applied to a guitar sound, this way some guitar almost synthesized sounds can be created.
I remember my Ensoniq DP4 had this effect and the results were fantastic, In this unit it would be much more justified
just purchased an Ensoniq DP4 from an old band mate. Got a match for a Tube works tube analog spring reverb right away from one of the presets.

I figure it would be easy to mono insert into the SY1000, however;

Has anyone tried using the normal input as a return from splitting one channel of the sub out as a send?. If that's possible, it would allow a stereo send and return for the SY unit.

Or can only the master outs be split and inserted anywhere in the signal chain?

I'll have to see if its possible when I get some time.

Though this was cool.

aliensporebomb

Sherence Benjamin de Jongh wrote the following at the SY-1000 group on facebook with pictures too on stereo effects return:

It's the last post in this thread (as of today's date):
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=27955.0&fbclid=IwAR04hD3Te_BbvRUziIcYaWqgrdUMC95TS_aLoHqRba1qA-NOaf20UnetuYk
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

stub

The dynamic synth has this behavior of hyping the 2nd overtone, such that it is always producing an interval of an octave+5th above the input note. I imagine this is just baked into the way it tracks notes and resynthesizes them.

[EDIT: this is just the nature of this type of synthesis. It processes all the spectra that come in. It won't change. Not fixable.]

My request would be to fine-tune the Dynamic Synth reduce this quality- so that it is a more versatile, clean oscillator shape without everything sounding like 5ths.

gumtown

I have lowered my expectations now that the SY-1000 is nearly 1 year old, and I just wish "for a firmware update"... period..

an update with meaningful features added would be a bonus.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

stub

Yea, I don't expect there'll be more than essential changes at this point. We certainly don't have any contorl over that here.

With the Dynamic Synth, it must have two distinctly different versions. The GK Patch version (monophonic per string) sounds better and doesn't have the strong 12th (oct+5) sound. With the normal patch version, I think the strong 12th sound is just the nature of how it synthesizes polyphonic input. It probably resynthesizes all incoming tones (and hence all overtones) as notes. Probably baked into the cake and can't be "fixed" in any case.

Wish retracted.

aliensporebomb

At this point I'd like to have the issue where some synth modes do this:
https://soundcloud.com/aliensporebomb/noise-test-4-92520-902-pm

Would be nice if that could be corrected.

Nobulusprime

I've had no response (of late) to the barrage of emails I have sent about the issues identified on this forum.

It could be they are working on stuff feverishly in the background or by the same token they may just thrown in the towel... In truth it's probably somewhere in the middle mixed in with a good dose of COVID uncertainty, skepticism (on markets for products) and inherent staffing issues surrounding the pandemic itself

Whichever I'm about to move to phase2 (DEFCON1 ;D) of my comms with them. This time I'll be posting every issue listed one at a time in order of importance... I'm really not sure if it will do any good.

But... this time I'll add the sweetener of some of the great examples (public facing) that have been posted on this forum of what the SY1000 can do. Basically saying, if you can sort out some of the bigger issues looking at how you could sell this thing.

This is meant as no slight on the Roland/Boss demonstrators (Alex et al) as they are all great, but the Tone Studio stuff only offers a very narrow perspective of what the unit can do and doesn't really sell it.

Anyhow, it's worth a try, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

BROCKSTAR

If there was anything they could do, i wish it was fixing the bloops and bleeps and noises in the synth engine that happens to many of us. If that's all they did, that would be big and total improvement.

loopman

I agree with you, this is the most important thing that the Roland / Boss team handling the SY-1000 should improve and correct. It would be the Ultimate benefit for all of us SY-1000 owners

mos6507

When the VG-99 was introduced, the next year it was the great recession.  With the SY-1000 it's COVID.  Not sure these external events directly caused a lack of firmware updates but they aren't helpful.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: mos6507 on December 06, 2020, 12:06:46 PM
When the VG-99 was introduced, the next year it was the great recession.  With the SY-1000 it's COVID.  Not sure these external events directly caused a lack of firmware updates but they aren't helpful.

Nah I doubt that has anything to do with it considering they still sending updates for GT-1000 this year and also put out GT-1000core etc..

mos6507

The recession did insofar as I heard they were on a real skeleton crew during that time.  Of course, you can always say they scaled back because of how niche the 13-pin stuff had become.  13-pin is always a chicken and the egg argument as far as whether it's niche because it's inherently niche or because Roland keeps letting its tech wither on the vine.  The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

gumtown

I doubt the Roland/Boss US help center skeleton crew would have any impact on firmware updates,
as all the tech stuff is done in Roland Japan, which has been full steam ahead (AFAIK) with new product development.

I hope they do update the SY-1000 with some new features, as there was some discussion documented nearly one year ago at the previous NAMM show,
where Boss (Yoshi) was asking what features we would like to be added to the remaining memory space. (If I recall correctly).

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: gumtown on December 06, 2020, 02:51:47 PM
I doubt the Roland/Boss US help center skeleton crew would have any impact on firmware updates,
as all the tech stuff is done in Roland Japan, which has been full steam ahead (AFAIK) with new product development.

I hope they do update the SY-1000 with some new features, as there was some discussion documented nearly one year ago at the previous NAMM show,
where Boss (Yoshi) was asking what features we would like to be added to the remaining memory space. (If I recall correctly).

From my understanding they said no space for any features and only like 15% left for bugs and fixes etc? But maybe there's enough in that 15% to give us something, especially since you know they're only focusing on important bug fixes like the curnum thing last firmware 1.05 lol.

aliensporebomb

At least they're at 1.05.   VG-99 only made it to 1.04.

Part of it's availability.  I still haven't seen a single SY-1000 or GT-1000Core at the local guitar center but they've got financial problems which may be a factor.

sevastopo

admin

Quote from: sevastopo on December 13, 2020, 07:30:19 AM
BTS for IOS!!!!!!!!

Sadly the SY-1000 lack the GT-1000's  MIDI over Bluetooth xceiver

and SY-1000 is not USB Class compliant - must use a third party 5 pin to MIDI over BLE dongle and create a MIDI Designer template for SY-1000

sevastopo

It is possible to use midi Bluetooth adapter, Roland already made it...

stub

I'm familiar with MIDI Designer. Apart from allowing realtime MIDI switch/CC via the 16 slot assigns, what else could you do?

Does the SY-1000 have sysex for all the onboard/external switches, buttons & encoders?

admin

Quote from: stub on December 14, 2020, 09:36:28 AM
I'm familiar with MIDI Designer. Apart from allowing realtime MIDI switch/CC via the 16 slot assigns, what else could you do?

Does the SY-1000 have sysex for all the onboard/external switches, buttons & encoders?

Yes -read the SY-1000 MIDI  Spec
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=27139.0