VG-99- Should I buy a Roland VG-99

Started by Hennisdk, September 08, 2010, 02:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicman65

I set mine so the meters deflect to about 70% of full scale. If you can get that much signal strength, proceed on and don't worry.

If the VG99 is not loud and strong through you amp, take a look in the COSM Guitar settings on the next to last page. There you will find a level control for both GK and Mag inputs. Set them so they drive your amp model hard enough to distort with pregain on 100. Then balance the GK with your mag pups.

Maybe that's where your losing signal.

Bd in tn

Hennisdk

Quote from: musicman65 on September 17, 2010, 12:34:12 AM
I set mine so the meters deflect to about 70% of full scale. If you can get that much signal strength, proceed on and don't worry.

If the VG99 is not loud and strong through you amp, take a look in the COSM Guitar settings on the next to last page. There you will find a level control for both GK and Mag inputs. Set them so they drive your amp model hard enough to distort with pregain on 100. Then balance the GK with your mag pups.

Maybe that's where your losing signal.

Bd in tn

Ok, got everything working 100%. I moved the GK closer to the bridge PUP, with some DIY brackets I made, does not look pretty but it works. WOW this VG-99 sounds awesome, I can not believe that something this "DIGITAL" sounds this good.

Now all my strings sensitivity is running 50-55, and sounds awesome. love the accoustic sounds, with some tuning they some very realistic.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Ibanez CT Series (Very Old)
Ibanez EDR470 Ergodyne - Cosmic Black (GK-3 PUP)
Epiphone Les Paul (Zakk Wylde)(GK-3 PUP)
Takamine EG523SCB (Warm sound with 12 Gauge Strings)

Line6 Spider IV 15 amp
Studio Monitors for VG-99

Roland VG-99
BOSS DS-1 Pedal
Sennheiser Wireless Guitar System

musicman65

Gkad tou are now enjoying the VG99...your quest for virtual tone has just started.

Welcome to the group!

Bd in tn

Hennisdk

Quote from: musicman65 on September 17, 2010, 03:23:49 PM
Gkad tou are now enjoying the VG99...your quest for virtual tone has just started.

Welcome to the group!

Bd in tn

Glad to be part of this group.

Hennis

Line6 Spider IV 15 amp

Roland VG-99
BOSS DS-1 Pedal

tommyh

Yes you should buy a VG99 if you have the money and realize what you are purchasing. You are buying a modern musical instrument that you will have to spend time learning all that it can do. It will never become anymore outdated than a 1959 Les Paul and you will be able to create infinite sounds and textures once you get used to the workflow. The modeled guitars are not outdated and are still used by players globally and the amps are all based on the amp gold standards that are used by guitarists everywhere. Players still use the VG8!

Just get a VG99, a great guitar to put the pickup on (or go the piezo route with the Godin's which are outstanding) and then focus on playing and improvising great music. Or dump all this electric stuff and be a real man and go acoustic and play like Tommy Emmanuel-like that could ever happen!!!

Hennisdk

Quote from: tommyh on September 20, 2010, 02:27:37 PM
Yes you should buy a VG99 if you have the money and realize what you are purchasing. You are buying a modern musical instrument that you will have to spend time learning all that it can do. It will never become anymore outdated than a 1959 Les Paul and you will be able to create infinite sounds and textures once you get used to the workflow. The modeled guitars are not outdated and are still used by players globally and the amps are all based on the amp gold standards that are used by guitarists everywhere. Players still use the VG8!

Just get a VG99, a great guitar to put the pickup on (or go the piezo route with the Godin's which are outstanding) and then focus on playing and improvising great music. Or dump all this electric stuff and be a real man and go acoustic and play like Tommy Emmanuel-like that could ever happen!!!

I have only had this unit for a few days, and I love it, only been playing around with it for few hours and this thing seems like it has no end, name it and it can do it. I have watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZmhIHZINL8&feature=rec-exp_stronger_r2-2f-47-HM (can always learn something new) and once again stand amazed at the versitility of this unit. damn!!!.

This vid features that GODIN LGX-SA. Would love one of these! But I don't think I will get it in South Africa, and if I can get it it will be very expensive.

Cheers

Hennis

Line6 Spider IV 15 amp

Roland VG-99
BOSS DS-1 Pedal

Kevin M

Quote from: Hennisdk on September 21, 2010, 12:26:19 AM
I have only had this unit for a few days, and I love it, only been playing around with it for few hours and this thing seems like it has no end, name it and it can do it. I have watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZmhIHZINL8&feature=rec-exp_stronger_r2-2f-47-HM (can always learn something new) and once again stand amazed at the versitility of this unit. damn!!!.

This vid features that GODIN LGX-SA. Would love one of these! But I don't think I will get it in South Africa, and if I can get it it will be very expensive.

Cheers

Hennis

Actually, it looks like a Brian Moore iGuitar to me.

Virtual Tone

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on September 08, 2010, 08:12:36 PM
My two cents as the old fart of the group.

The VG-99 is SO feature rich I would bet you will not get near the bottom of it or close to knowing what it is even possible of doing for several years.
Even if you play it EVERY day day for hours on end!
Update or not you will not get through it!
An update would only put you behind the curve.

This is an amazing box undiscovered by 90% of the populalation and most likely for economic reasons kept in on the side lines by Roland.
This was TO on top and flew over everyone's head.

You can do almost anything with this box, but its up to you the user to dig in and learn how to program it.
Sadly, it was like Roland released a Intel chip computer with zero programs or support.

Hey Bill!  I know you're a real pro with the VG-99 and can make some amazing tacks with it.  My thing is I want to get realistic guitar sounds with it and not into the synth stuff.

For that reason do you think the VG-99 guitar modeling is so close to the real deals (Tele, Strats, Les Paul, Acoustics etc.) that you wouldn't miss using other guitars live or in the studio?  I know people have complained about the amp modeling and all and some run their VG-99 though other units like the AXE FX and software to nail amps and cabs down.

Thanks for your input!

aliensporebomb

Bill views it kinda the way I do:  "like Roland released an Intel chip computer with zero programs or support"
But I really see it as a miniature laptop computer for my guitar!  

Half of the cool sounds I've gotten out of it I stumbled across just by playing around going "oops...oh wow, I didn't know you could do that".
But it's great for plain old regular guitar sounds too - my last two live shows I used a strat with single coils sound a lot of the time for rhythm or melody.

Best kept secret in the music industry.

And I have to say, I just finished my CD project a lot sooner thanks to the VG and it's up on itunes and have had some sales internationally.
So it's nice to say that "The VG-99 not only made my project sooner to completion but it also made me money".

I love my VG-99, what about you?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Virtual Tone

Quote from: aliensporebomb on September 28, 2010, 01:45:30 PM
Bill views it kinda the way I do:  "like Roland released an Intel chip computer with zero programs or support"
But I really see it as a miniature laptop computer for my guitar!  

Half of the cool sounds I've gotten out of it I stumbled across just by playing around going "oops...oh wow, I didn't know you could do that".
But it's great for plain old regular guitar sounds too - my last two live shows I used a strat with single coils sound a lot of the time for rhythm or melody.

Best kept secret in the music industry.

And I have to say, I just finished my CD project a lot sooner thanks to the VG and it's up on itunes and have had some sales internationally.
So it's nice to say that "The VG-99 not only made my project sooner to completion but it also made me money".

I love my VG-99, what about you?

Thanks for the reply aliensporebomb!  Glad you chimed in on this thread! ;-)

As far as "Bills View" on the VG-99, it would be nice to hear from him (I know he's busy) ;-)  However I assume you guys are chums so it's good to hear from one of his mates for sure ;-)

I'm still a "Beginner" or at least a middle of the road guitarist.  I started playing guitar a few years back (like 6 years ago) and I'm still pressing forward for sure. :-)

As far as the VG-99 is concern I just don't think I've tapped into 1% of all it can do!  I use the presets (mostly) and I'm looking forward to the end users presets on the forum ;-)

aliensporebomb

Well I don't know Bill except thru various forums he's on and I actually own the CD by his old band "Software" so I know of him.
But Bill has two of these VG devices and is doing quite well for himself in the session world.

Just to give you some thoughts - I'm seriously considering doing a tune that's just all VG-99 except drums with all the sounds I can think of coming off of it.  Stay tuned.

Virtual Tone

Quote from: aliensporebomb on September 28, 2010, 02:59:48 PM
Well I don't know Bill except thru various forums he's on and I actually own the CD by his old band "Software" so I know of him.
But Bill has two of these VG devices and is doing quite well for himself in the session world.

Just to give you some thoughts - I'm seriously considering doing a tune that's just all VG-99 except drums with all the sounds I can think of coming off of it.  Stay tuned.

Thanks aliensporebomb for the reply! 

Keep me (and the forum) in touch regarding your new VG-99 project ;-)

SEA

chrish

This seems like a good used buy today on Reverb.com. VG99, stand, foot controller, GK-3 pickup and cables, for $650.00.

https://reverb.com/item/2185431-roland-vg-99-with-fc300-stand-gk3-pickup

aliensporebomb

A great deal if you can get it.  I get the idea that much like the Lexicon Vortex before it the VG-99 will get more of a following years later when they are hard to find and very expensive.

As far as the follow-up to "This is Aliensporebomb" the tentative title is "The Next Phase Outwards" and I'm about 90% done with it. 

All electric guitar sounds, bass sounds, and 90% of the synth sounds are VG-99 generated.  Drums and some synth sounds are actual keyboard synths but surprisingly few.  But unlike "This Is" which had more keyboards and bass and some VG-99 this one is almost literally 90% all VG-99 for the sounds involved.

Weirdly, the timbre is even wider than the previous one I think.

chrish

If i didn't already own a vg8, i'd buy the used vg99 at reverb.com. However, everytime i hear one of your 99 songs or some of the other demos on the forum, i think i'd be nice to have one. You guys seem to get a nice 'air-y-ness' or clairity to your synth pad type sounds. The vg8 doesn't have that quality of sound to me, but it did what i wanted it to when i used to perform  at the local pizza nights and such. So what is the secret sauce for clairity and openess for those hrm pad sounds. I ask because i'm seeking that with the sy-300. That sy unit doesn't have the option of using a hex pickup,so maybe that helps to add to the 99's clairity?

Brak(E)man

Quote from: chrish on May 15, 2016, 08:44:15 PM
If i didn't already own a vg8, i'd buy the used vg99 at reverb.com. However, everytime i hear one of your 99 songs or some of the other demos on the forum, i think i'd be nice to have one. You guys seem to get a nice 'air-y-ness' or clairity to your synth pad type sounds. The vg8 doesn't have that quality of sound to me, but it did what i wanted it to when i used to perform  at the local pizza nights and such. So what is the secret sauce for clairity and openess for those hrm pad sounds. I ask because i'm seeking that with the sy-300. That sy unit doesn't have the option of using a hex pickup,so maybe that helps to add to the 99's clairity?

The clarity/openness of VG8 is in my opinion gone with both the 88 and 99 ( and GP 10 and SY 300 ) even though it has a different bit rate etc there's sounds not achieved by any of the others.
I compare the difference to regular guitarists like a strat played through a fender twin compared to a les Paul through a marshall. That's how I perceive the openness of the 8 compared to the others , that said my favorite live would be the 88 in the studio 99 but I have settled on the GP 10 live for size hoping to get to the point where I'll incorporate SY 300 if I ever get to the point where I've start programming it for real but my guess the clarity is har to find
Here's a link to my first and so far only tune with SY300

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16539.0
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

chrish

Quote from: Brak(E)man on May 15, 2016, 10:34:51 PM
The clarity/openness of VG8 is in my opinion gone with both the 88 and 99 ( and GP 10 and SY 300 ) even though it has a different bit rate etc there's sounds not achieved by any of the others.
I compare the difference to regular guitarists like a strat played through a fender twin compared to a les Paul through a marshall. That's how I perceive the openness of the 8 compared to the others , that said my favorite live would be the 88 in the studio 99 but I have settled on the GP 10 live for size hoping to get to the point where I'll incorporate SY 300 if I ever get to the point where I've start programming it for real but my guess the clarity is har to find
Here's a link to my first and so far only tune with SY300

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16539.0
It seems to me that roland should have added the option of using a gk 13 pin input on the sy300 along with the regular 1/4 input jack. That may have helped with the sy clairity. There are times where harmonic string interactions are desirable and there are times when string separation works better. ( I've already signed the roland book that's been featured on other threads:) There does appear to be a steady stream of used vg99's hitting the market and the price is trending downwards from what i've seen. Makes me wonder if people are dumping them in favor of the GP-10, especially now that the master programers are sharing some very fine patches on this forum. I like your stat/fender vs les paul/marshall analogy to define openness. I used to run a LesPaul through a '65 Fender Twin. Sold both to buy 20 calves when i moved west to work on a cattle ranch :-(. As a side note, reverb.com had for sale a vg99 that was owned by Alan Holdsworth which came with a letter of authenticity. Who ever purchaced it may have gotten some nice patches.

aliensporebomb

I think the 99's clarity is partially in its design of how signals are routed, the multiple EQs and the fact that there seems to be a lot of headroom without a lot of excess noise.

And the hexaphonic design overall allows for it I think.

Autana

QuoteShould I buy a Roland VG-99

Yes, I must buy it, the laws are very clear, stealing is a crime  ;D
VG-99 is my VGWD, above many GAS items!

GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

alexmcginness

VG-99 is the box to have. I have three. I also have a VG-88 a GR-55 and a recently aquired GP 10. The 99 is the most hassle free one of the bunch. Theres a nylon guitar bug that can be gotten around. The GR-55 has that patch change hesitation and the GP 10, alternate tuning anomolies. Each has a place in my studio but for live? its the 99 all the way. Its easy to tweak on the fly without making you look like a fitness instructor on stage bending over to tweak it.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

chrish

So the answer to the op title is yes. Just recieved one today  and it's incredible. I can't beleive you all forum members kept this gear a secret all these years. :-)  The only problem that i've encountered is that i kept my hand in the D-Beam field for too long and it started to inter-dimensionally fade away. Has anyone else experienced similar time warp occurances with the vg99?

Elantric

QuoteThe only problem that i've encountered is that i kept my hand in the D-Beam field for too long and it started to inter-dimensionally fade away.

Typically selecting a different VG-99 patch, and returning back to the D-Beam patch "clears its throat" and restores D-Beam functionality

QuoteI can't believe you all forum members kept this gear a secret all these years. :-)

Likewise- I cant believe the major fail of Roland US, who could not market this amazing device effectively   -the VG-99 remains in a league of its own  - 3 years after it was discontinued
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14088.0

I believe the various factors that each contributed to the sales failure of the VG-99 / FC-300 combo:
* $1800-$2000 MSRP retail price for   VG-99 / FC-300 combo:
* Global Economic crash of 2008 which left no funds for high ticket items
* Global opinion on most internet electric Guitar Forums that: "Roland COSM tones all suck and the VG-99 sounds bad - just like six Boss GT-6's"
* Roland US marketing the GK-3 as a "MIDI Pickup", and the GK 13 pin cable as a " MIDI Cable"
* Roland Corp policy of updating firmware only as a last resort to correct identified bugs
* In USA, No official Roland User Forum, during a time when ALL THE COMPETITION has an official User Forum and an official User to User Patch Exchange.

Add that in 2016 most guitarists I know remain a hyper conservative, skeptical, stuck in the past bunch of folks. Asking if anyone has tried out a Roland VG-99 on a typical internet forum requires nerve and a flack jacket.    Most guitarists in 2016 would rather own a $900 Blues Cube Artist amp with $300 Tone Capsule blessed by Robin Ford than plug into a VG-99.

Add that after 8.5 years Roland/Boss in Japan  - unless your name is Steve Vai, they place no value on knowing or understanding their real paying customers opinions & feature requests.   

further rants:

How the "13pin MIDI Cable" killed Roland's Hex PU GK COSM VGuitar sales
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14088.0

aliensporebomb

I think too the factory presets didn't really play to the 99's strengths.  There's ways to get "vintage touch sensitive tube dynamics" out of the box with pretty respectable imitations of popular amplifiers but the patches strike me as rushed to show the box off at a NAMM show.  Some of the presets are decent - maybe a handful.

But all 200 of my changeable presets on my 99 are all either my programs or select ones from here.  I've got some great overdriven lead guitar patches now I'm using for my new record. 

And also, the 99 has made it possible to score the film I've been working on this past spring..  What an amazing versatile box. 

chrish

Having this box for several days i'd have to say that the guitar to midi to hardware synth via the midi port and while in in poly mode reacts about the same as the gr-50. I've yet to try the usb guitar to midi or try mono mode. The gr-50 guitar to midi has easy access to transpose, string on/off and program change maps on two seperate  midi branchs, A&B, with either branch being poly or mono . The vg-99 does have a nice big fat,clear, clean, synth sound and clean fx. Way better than the vg-8, imo. Hearing the vg 99 makes me realize how far off the mark Roland was with the sy-300. With Roland's experience in guitar synths and analog synths in general, the sy-300 had the potential to be a Monster Synth. Instead, imo, marketing got in the way in trying to appeal to 1/4'' jack users. They tried to expand their market with a product that didn't meet it's potential, but it may not have worked. You guys are right, they should listen to their customer base.   edit: word change to- midi 'branch'

deanmass

The used VG on Reverb was mine. I still have it, along with a Godin Freeway Flame SA.

It is really cool, but, I play solo acoustic 99% of the time, and it ends up just sitting. I do not understand Rolands' markteting at all. The GR55 is NOT even close to the 99 nor is the SY. It is weird to me that they broke it apart like this into so many sub-products. Might be because the thing is so deep, most did not dig into it.