Greetings and questions per GT-10

Started by Graiskye, August 20, 2019, 09:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graiskye

Hello all, hope everyone is having a great summer.
Last week I picked up a GT-10 for 200$, I figured it was a no lose.
I have been in the market for a reverb for a bit, at the least I thought the GT-10 could cover this, my effects needs are relatively sparse, but I do rely on a Flashback in the loop of my 100 watt tuber.  The amp, if your the type that likes to know...B-52 AT-212, an amp I also bought for 200$ and it was the best 200$ I have spent in years,IMHO its very much like a an older 5150.
The B-52 amps as I understand were built for Guitar Center around the late 90's early 2000's, B52 makes pro audio gear, stage sound and such, the guitar amp line was fairly short lived and the amps seem to receive a mixed verdict, some like myself loving , others not so much. Enough about amp, I use the amps FX loop, a serial tube loop, with adjustable send and return levels. Sounds killer with just the flashback.
Now onto the gt-10, Im hooking it up in the 4 cable method and have a decent sound happening, the questions I have so far are as follows...

- how do I save the global settings, it seems when I power up, I have to reset the S/R, and the order of the effects every time ?

- as I understand the GT10, using the 4cm method, will allow me to use the amps pre, or an assigned pre from the GT10, my question is does the GT10 turn off the ampPre or is it simply a matter of where the S/R loop resides in the order of 'effects'.

I will leave it at that for now, thanks to any and all replies.
Peace.
mike

gumtown

Much to learn !!

The GT-10 has 200 User patches, which means if you want to make changes, you must write/save you changes before leaving the current patch or powering off the unit, or the setting you changed will be lost.
Make changes then press the Write button a few times.

The S/R loop is something than you must either save in the state you wish, or "Assign" a CTL pedal to toggle it on/off.
The Preamps must also be manually switched in the opposite manor, using another Assign to the same CTL pedal.
So when the CTL peddle is pressed, the S/R loop switches 'on" and the GT-10 Preamp switches 'off" the S/R loop can also be moved any position in the chain of effects.
Imagine the S/R Loop is actually your external preamp.

Not sure if you have come across this yet, but I think it will be really helpful.
GT-10FxFloorBoard editor, which will graphically represent the GT-10 on your computer screen as a stompbox pedal board.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/GT-10FxFloorBoard/

you will also need the GT-10 USB driver installed (from Boss site),
and a setting in the GT-10 system midi menu to set the GT-10 Driver mode to 'advanced'.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Graiskye

thanks gumtown, much to learn i agree. I understand the basic GT file architecture, 4 presets to each bank, 50 banks etc...
I sort of had figured out the write 'cmd', just playing around...but to clarify...whatever state the GT10 is in when I execute write, is the state the GT10 will be returned to upon selecting same patch.
Makes sense. Will continue to explore later.
I have actually downloaded your software gum, just need too 'make the connections', much thanks for the recommendation and what was doubtlessly a lot of hard work in the creation of the whole floorboard series.
Bravo my man.
I am familiar with the 'modern' world of recording, I have an interface or two kicking around here somewhere.
I will try to get floorboard setup and dig deeper later. Last night i spent several hours, with the GT on a small table so I can easily, and comfortably(paramount...lol) just digging through the settings. A few more similar sessions, and Ill be in a better place with it. The process has been fun and relatively painless. The manual is fairly decent, they can always be better, but its really nice to have a paper one included. The EQ's is/are insanely powerful, and the synth effects are a lot of fun(the basis of BOSS new synth pedal that sounds so killer, perhaps ???).
For what I paid I am happy, the delay and the reverbs are good enough for me, and there's so much more to play with.
thanks again gumtown
peace.

gumtown

All you need is only a USB cable to provide midi and audio to/from the computer.

You can use the GT-10 as an audio interface.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

Quote from: gumtown on August 21, 2019, 09:13:27 PM
All you need is only a USB cable to provide midi and audio to/from the computer.

You can use the GT-10 as an audio interface.

Boss GT-10 USB driver supports ASIO - must set GT-10 to be in "USB Advanced Mode )

You must perform a workaround to get the Boss GT-10 USB Driver to completely install on Windows 7
"disable-driver-signature-enforcement"
https://superuser.com/questions/1233615/how-to-force-windows-7-to-disable-driver-signature-enforcement

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25945.msg192071#msg192071