Fractal FM3

Started by admin, April 23, 2019, 11:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Quote from: carlb on April 24, 2019, 11:11:26 AM
Hey, where's the GP-10 in that bunch? That sure gets overlooked in the multi-effects mindset.

carlb

ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

hsuru4u

This is really what it should have been. Taken from the gear page thread. I would buy this in a heartbeat! 3 is too few switched for all applications and i dont want to fork over another 2-500.00 on  more switches in a seperate box. I mean what gives fractal???   To me it reeks of trying to upsell the fc6 and 12(which are not even in stock for a long time anyhow?)

All i can hope for is that they will release an fm6 in a year or an fm8. It cant be about price really..i mean 3 more switches would add like what $200 to the price? whats that when spending a grand anyhow/???  I am sad they didnt release an fm6 or 8 1st and the the fm3 in a year.

Smash

Quote from: hsuru4u on April 25, 2019, 12:58:41 PM

This is really what it should have been. Taken from the gear page thread. I would buy this in a heartbeat! 3 is too few switched for all applications and i dont want to fork over another 2-500.00 on  more switches in a seperate box. I mean what gives fractal???   To me it reeks of trying to upsell the fc6 and 12(which are not even in stock for a long time anyhow?)

All i can hope for is that they will release an fm6 in a year or an fm8. It cant be about price really..i mean 3 more switches would add like what $200 to the price? whats that when spending a grand anyhow/???  I am sad they didnt release an fm6 or 8 1st and the the fm3 in a year.

You say you don't want to fork out 200 for extra switches in a separate box then in the next breath say what's an extra 200 when you're already spending a grand!   ;D

Not entirely surprised to hear you won't be buying one...

hsuru4u

Quote from: Smash on April 25, 2019, 05:26:06 PM
You say you don't want to fork out 200 for extra switches in a separate box then in the next breath say what's an extra 200 when you're already spending a grand!   ;D

Not entirely surprised to hear you won't be buying one...

huh????????    I meant i would rather have all in one box switch wise. And the fc6 is an extra $500 not $200. i think it would be a better deal for most users to have 3 more switches in the unit itself (more like an ax8 replacement)for $200 more is what i meant.  so making it liken$1200 unit like the ax8.

Its obvious fractal did the fm3 to get users to buy the fc-6 or12 to addon therefore trying to get more $$ from the user. I THINK its a lame move and sure plenty will jump on the hype train and get it along with their helix and axefx units and their 4 other modelers.
Yea and i saw the vid by some guy saying 3 buttons is enough and using the fc6 to demonstrate this but it was alot of tap dancing and having to remember too much stuff for me.
It looks cool and will sell out as they all do from fractal and if they release an fm6 the same people will likely just buy that one too. These companies bank most sales on fan boi's for sure. If you want to trash talk me go to TGP TO DO THAT.

hsuru4u

banned from fractal for questioning all the menu presses to make a patch. Lame

Elantric

Quote from: hsuru4u on May 02, 2019, 12:45:05 PM

Agreed -

On many "official" MFG Forums, you can never question authority or post "What the hell were you thinking?" type posts which question a product's features and methods. 

I know a few folks who are permanently banned from the Ernie Ball Forum 
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108068

Myself  I was made Moderator of the Official Gibson Forum in 2010, with instructions to clean up the place and make it a better user resource   - 24 hours after I declined Henry J's job offer to become head of engineering at Gibson Nashville plant , I was permanently banned for life at the Gibson Forum - which if you think TGP forum is crude and rude, - nothing topped Gibson Forum for biggest waste of time circa 2007-2012
https://web.archive.org/web/20100818074950/http://forum.gibson.com/
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=23

http://forum.gibson.com/

Just tested  - apparently I'm still not welcome at Gibson Forum - despite new Management and myself buying six brand new Gibson's in the last few years

Still Love their Guitars 

HAMERMAN409

What I could see being useful is a cheap 4 button controller that goes in front of the FM3 to give you 4 patches at any time which would allow you to save the three labeled buttons for effects switching. To keep it at four buttons you would need to do something like press the left two for bank up and the right two for bank down (and maybe the middle two for tuner). If anybody wants something like this developed please send me a FM3 ASAP. :-)

Elantric

Quote from: HAMERMAN409 on May 02, 2019, 01:13:11 PM
What I could see being useful is a cheap 4 button controller that goes in front of the FM3 to give you 4 patches at any time which would allow you to save the three labeled buttons for effects switching. To keep it at four buttons you would need to do something like press the left two for bank up and the right two for bank down (and maybe the middle two for tuner). If anybody wants something like this developed please send me a FM3 ASAP. :-)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25709.0

hsuru4u

Quote from: Elantric on May 02, 2019, 01:07:33 PM
Agreed -

On many "official" MFG Forums, you can never question authority or post "What the hell were you thinking?" type posts which question a product's features and methods. 

I know a few folks who are permanently banned from the Ernie Ball Forum 
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108068

Myself  I was made Moderator of the Official Gibson Forum in 2010, with instructions to clean up the place and make it a better user resource   - 24 hours after I declined Henry J's job offer to become head of engineering at Gibson Nashville plant , I was permanently banned for life at the Gibson Forum - which if you think TGP forum is crude and rude, - nothing topped Gibson Forum for biggest waste of time circa 2007-2012
https://web.archive.org/web/20100818074950/http://forum.gibson.com/
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=23

http://forum.gibson.com/

Just tested  - apparently I'm still not welcome at Gibson Forum - despite new Management and myself buying six brand new Gibson's in the last few years

Still Love their Guitars 

unreal. I wasnt rude or mean just said in 2019 so many button presses to make a patch is silly for a 1k unit. Anyhow fractal lost a potential future customer. their loss

mchad

I think the casing for their FC-12 foot controller points to a future 'FM6' or 'FM9' or some such. That would suit me more having more footswitches to do things.

admin

Quote from: mchad on May 02, 2019, 05:52:06 PM
I think the casing for their FC-12 foot controller points to a future 'FM6' or 'FM9' or some such. That would suit me more having more footswitches to do things.

Agreed- on TGP I already mentioned id be more interested in a future  Fractal FM12

mchad

So a screen that takes up the top left quadrant. Then some controls. Then the far right controls top and bottom would be bank up down. Leaving 5 foot switches for other functions. I'm sure someone will mock something up in Photoshop at some stage.

Smash

Quote from: hsuru4u on April 26, 2019, 10:26:00 AM
huh????????    I meant i would rather have all in one box switch wise. And the fc6 is an extra $500 not $200. i think it would be a better deal for most users to have 3 more switches in the unit itself (more like an ax8 replacement)for $200 more is what i meant.  so making it liken$1200 unit like the ax8.

Its obvious fractal did the fm3 to get users to buy the fc-6 or12 to addon therefore trying to get more $$ from the user. I THINK its a lame move and sure plenty will jump on the hype train and get it along with their helix and axefx units and their 4 other modelers.
Yea and i saw the vid by some guy saying 3 buttons is enough and using the fc6 to demonstrate this but it was alot of tap dancing and having to remember too much stuff for me.
It looks cool and will sell out as they all do from fractal and if they release an fm6 the same people will likely just buy that one too. These companies bank most sales on fan boi's for sure. If you want to trash talk me go to TGP TO DO THAT.

Plenty of metal body programmable foot controllers starting at 100 upwards (Harley Benton MP100 to start)  - unless it has to match (important for some I admit). What you said WAS contradictory - sorry I noticed.

Trash talk? Really? General vibe I get is you think new tech is overpriced and so I had a (tongue in cheek) dig at that - are you going to buy one?

hsuru4u

Quote from: Smash on May 03, 2019, 03:52:24 AM
Plenty of metal body programmable foot controllers starting at 100 upwards (Harley Benton MP100 to start)  - unless it has to match (important for some I admit). What you said WAS contradictory - sorry I noticed.

Trash talk? Really? General vibe I get is you think new tech is overpriced and so I had a (tongue in cheek) dig at that - are you going to buy one?

well yes alot of the new tech is overpriced- as are cell phones. But I am a cheap bastard and i admit that. For some its not expensive(same with everything right?) for others it is and for yet others its average.

Smash

We have something in common - I'm a cheap bastard too!  Love a bargain  ;D Sadly not so good at it these days - too much buying on a whim...

hsuru4u

I have learned to enjoy what i have which may be older tech but to me sounds excellent and has not made me want to step out. The last unit i bought was the zoom gn5 which i sold because i never used it much-it sounded ok and i downloaded all the new effects and stuff but just never used as i like the amp form much better(from input to speaker all in one)-I am old sc hool i guess. I used to chase the tech but realized what i have is darn good sounding so i stopped. I still like to research new gear but oh the huge price leap in the last few years is pretty crazy.I tend to root for the 200-600 range of gear in modeling.

Headless68

I suspect the design was more at getting AxeIII capability straight in the line of sight of the around $1k modeller group and taking a slice (probably a large one) of that market.
I dont think the AX8 really played in the space with the outdated interface and very limited cpu.

Im waiting to see exactly how the FM3 copes with multi fx chains before I make judgment

jassy

I am the only one who thinks that in the digital era it is quite disappointing to launch a new product with the same processing capacity as the previous one (AX8)?
After all the increase of the dsp power was one of the biggest arguments when launching the AXEIII.

By pure logic at 23% of dsp power, the FM3 is going to be quite limited in its ability to run concurrent effects ...

admin

basically the FM3 is Fractals HX Stomp- the uninformed will blindly purchase due to the street hype that each accomplish all the same sound and all the same FX processing as their big brothers   -( which is false for both )

hsuru4u

Quote from: admin on May 04, 2019, 08:45:37 AM
:basicalky the FM3 is Fractals HX Stomp- the uninformed will blindly purchase due to the street hype that they accomplish same sound and processing as their big brothers   -( which is false for both )

Dont post that on fractal forum!! :P

I kinda agree though. If i am going to go fractal and spend the $$ i want the axefx3 or a floor unit with the same power as the axefx3! .Just like if i went helix i would go LT AND NOT STOMP as to me $600 vs 1k is a huge gap but the lt discounted/used would be the best route. :o
Hope there is a killer update for helix in the future.

carlb

I haven't had a chance to try a Fractal. They've always been too large or of the wrong form factor for me to use live.

So when they finally make something that seems like it could work for me, I'm in. Worst case is I sell it for about the same as I buy it for, to someone who doesn't want to wait for a turn in the queue to pop up.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Vaultnaemsae

Quote from: hsuru4u on May 02, 2019, 12:45:05 PM

I've had such a mixed bag of experiences with that company and that forum. There's an air of arrogance surrounding that company and a decent chunk of those forum members/administrators that we thankfully don't typically experience on the vguitar forum.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

hsuru4u

I am noticing this on that forum too. Its sad and rubs me the wrong way to purchase anything from them knowing they likely instit=gate the attitude there or at least foster it.
I am hoping in a way that helix revamps its system and has a massive 3.0 update for the helix to really take it to a diff level.The form factor is decent already with screens and switches.The editor is ok but not visually as nice as axe edit to me.

The only plus to me about the helix is support and used prices. They a;l;so need to revamp their cabs onboard to be way better quality- maybe partner with other companies? Its a weak point to me.Sure you can add your own i know but fractal includes like 1-2k worth i think... Anyhow the fm3 isnt for me either way as if i am going to plop down 1k+ 500.00 on anything from fractal it better have the axe3 power in a floor unit.Or at least alot closer.