Fractal FM3

Started by admin, April 23, 2019, 11:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Fractal FM3

https://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/190423-Fractal-Audio-Announces-the-FM3-Amp-Modeler-MultiFX.pdf

Amp Modeling & Multi-FX in a Compact Floor Unit

Plaistow, NH – April 23, 2019 – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
The new FM3 Amp Modeler/Multi-FX is a compact floor unit from Fractal Audio Systems.

It features the company's newest generation of amp modelling, speaker simulation, and effects processor technologies, all with the extreme sonic performance, features, and flexibility that guitarists have come to expect from Fractal Audio.
The FM3 is powered by a 3-Core "Griffin" DSP with one ARM and two SHARC+ cores providing superior power in a compact format. A dedicated graphics processor allows the main DSPs to be focused on critical audio tasks.

The FM3 is housed in a durable steel chassis with protective endcaps. It features the same full-color display and familiar, easy-to-use front panel controls found on Fractal Audio's flagship Axe-Fx III. Three onboard footswitches – each with variable-color LED ring and mini LCD display — provide both tap and hold functions, which can be customized to do different
things on eight different switch "layouts." In addition, a FASLINK II port allows the FM3 to be connected with up to two Fractal Audio FC-12 or FC-6 foot controllers, providing an exciting array of extended control options.

The FM3 features ARES Amp Modeling—the latest technology developed by Fractal Audio for the award-winning Axe-Fx III.
ARES captures the subtle sonic characteristics of real tube amps, with 265+ models offering an impressive range of clean tones, elusive "edge of breakup", and everything from warm, touch-sensitive overdrive to face-melting modern distortion.

The FM3 also includes the entire speaker cab impulse response ("IR") collection from the Axe-Fx III, with a stunning 2,200+ "Factory" choices and 2000+ "User" locations to store custom sounds from free or commercial packages. As a multi-effects unit, the FM3 includes a superb selection of Fractal Audio's state-of-the-art effect algorithms: dazzling drive pedals, dozens of delays, reverbs, compressors, EQs, modulation effects, a looper, and more.

Like other Fractal Audio processors, the FM3 uses "Presets" built from "Blocks" on a "Grid" (4x12). Eight "Scenes" per preset can engage or bypass effects, switch effect "Channels", adjust levels, and more. Fractal Audio's flexible "Modifier" system enables easy real-time sound changes with onboard or remote controllers, switches or expression pedals. A precision fullscreen tuner, two global equalizers, and a convenient Tap Tempo function are also built-in.

The rear panel of the FM3 offers an instrument input with Fractal Audio's proprietary low-noise analog circuitry, plus stereo main outputs, a headphone output, MIDI In and Out/Thru, and a 48kHz SPDIF out. A second stereo pair of TRS Inputs and ¼″ Humbuster outputs can be used as a stereo effects loop, or for auxiliary purposes, such as sending one signal with speaker
simulation to a PA, while a second signal without speaker sims feeds a power amp and guitar speakers on stage. 4×4 USB audio rounds out the I/O capabilities of this pint-sized powerhouse.

FM3-EDIT, a full-featured software editor, is included free. The FM3 is also fully compatible with Fractal-Bot for preset sharing, easy backup and restore, plus firmware updates in the tradition of continual improvement that has become a hallmark of Fractal Audio Systems.

Above all, the FM3 was designed "by musicians for musicians" to deliver Fractal Audio's uncompromising signature sound quality and rugged reliability in a compact, convenient, grab-and-go format that musicians are sure to appreciate and enjoy.

Direct Price: $999.99 (List Price: $1399.99) Availability: To be announced.

Send an email to waitlist@fractalaudio.com with the subject line "FM3 Wait List" to reserve your FM3 in the USA or Canada.

Fractal Audio Systems
sales@fractalaudio.com
www.fractalaudio.com

• FM3 is a compact floor unit with three onboard switches.

• Uncompromising sound quality and road-worthy reliability.

• Easy-to-use front panel interface, plus free FM3 Edit software.

• Features ARES Amp Modeling developed for the Axe-Fx III.

• Hundreds of accurate models with real tube amp sound and feel.

• 2200+ Ultra-Res™ factory cabs and 2000+ user cab slots.

• Impressive multi-effects capability based on Axe-Fx III.

• 3-Core "Griffin" Processor plus dedicated GPU.

• FASLINK II allows adding up to two FC-12/FC-6 controllers.

• Ultra-low noise instrument input plus XLR stereo main outputs.

• Additional Stereo I/O Pair, plus headphone & SPDIF outputs.

• 4x4 USB Audio, 2 onboard switch/pedal jacks, MIDI In & Out/Thru

admin

^^ Has a USB Host Port (THANK YOU CLIFF!)

Hopefully it supports more than USB Storage Class (Thumb drives) only

How about USB MIDI Class Compliant gear - ?
-need remote control with a USB MIDI Foot controller - like the KMI Softstep 2

https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/softstep/
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/announcing-the-fm3-amp-modeler-fx-processor.149900/#post-1779185

Cliff of Fractal wrote>

If anyone is curious the thought process was this:
1. FM3 alone for rehearsals, small gigs.
2. FM3 plus FC6/12 for larger gigs.
3. Axe-Fx III plus FC6/12 for MSG.

Since the FC6/12 are "thin clients" you can exchange them with the Axe-Fx III and FM3 without having to do any programming.

gumtown

Looks like a winner right here.
I think these will sell like hotcakes !!
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Headless68

"Processing power roughly the same as AX8" .......oh dear, why would you do that?
(That's a quote from the fractal forum linked above btw)

carlb

I just wrote in for the wait list.

Small footprint, I can make it work with my rig. I don't need (nor really want) a built-in expression pedal.

One Fractal forum post estimates 11.2" x 9.2", which I'll guess is reasonably accurate.

Look at that I/O! Two separate instrument inputs. Effects loop (looks like mono, but "humbuster" looks intriguing - correction - Stereo capability!). Real MIDI connectors. Balanced or high impedance outputs.

Oh, and no external power adapter that I have to mount somewhere. Now there's a REAL class-act design.

Not too worried about processing power. I just want great amp models along with great delays and reverbs.

Finally, an AXE-FX model that works for me. Very cool!
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Smash

Quote from: Headless68 on April 23, 2019, 01:51:37 PM
"Processing power roughly the same as AX8" .......oh dear, why would you do that?
(That's a quote from the fractal forum linked above btw)

I was just wondering what the FX cap would be. So an upgraded AX8 essentially?

Does look sexy, like the fact it appears to have an overview guide built in based on screen shot - nice touch.

What does it weigh?

With full FX3 amps might well steal some Kemper sales...

mchad

Looks good! Smallish...that and a GP10 or SY300 and there's some serious sonic territory to roam.

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/28417385/

According to Cliff....

The processing power of an FM-3 is roughly the same as an AX-8.
Only one amp block.
Supports 2 pedals/switches.
FASLINK powers the first FC (Foot Controller)
It does not have all of the Axe-Fx III effects but has the most important ones (no vocoder, etc.).
FC (Foot Controller) setup is same as Axe-Fx III.

cliffc8488 said: ↑
The FM3 is the second in our "Client-Server" architecture products. This allows much easier software maintenance so any updates to the Axe-Fx III will be easy to port to the FM3.
The AX-8 is a nightmare to maintain as the engineer who wrote most of it left . . . .

plexified

So keep your AX-8, it will now function as a full size controller and your second amp block, and paired with your FM-3 processing power is now a mute point. SCORE!   I'm going in. Waiting list confirmation ;-) 

>Insert Fractal Forum Humor here:

Yes, it's a $999 3 button foot controller for the Axe III, targeted towards those tired of waiting to buy the $499 6 button controller or $699 12 button one...

Sure it's $333 per button, but it will be available "sooner"

But seriously though, Its the same housing as the FC-6 Controller and appears to directly challenge the Helix HX Stomp by upstaging it as well as the used Helix Floor market. It is clear to me its doing all the right things in response to the AX-8. The FC-6 should be an ideal and portable addition for live control and I would expect to see a FM-9 (Next larger format in the FC-12 Housing). All kidding aside, you will see some deals on the AX-8 and you will have a wait for the FM-3 and the now even longer delayed FC-6 (FM-3 buyers already bought them all tonight) as a result. Plan accordingly. 

admin

From the pic  is clear the FM3 employs same size chassis as FC-6
https://www.fractalaudio.com/fc-foot-controllers-for-the-axe-fx-iii/
Dimensions. 11.2″ x 9.2″ x 3.5″ (283mm x 233mm x 88mm).

Vaultnaemsae

Pretty neat package. I was NOT sold on going to the Axe-Fx III after some of the issues with the II that still haven't been solved along with the 3-rack space size of it. But if you consider superior (albeit subjective) audio quality, compact form factor, modularity, and now USB audio/MIDI!!! - the FM3 is almost a done deal for me.

Imagine - GP-10 -> FM3 <-> laptop/tablet + MIDI controller...
That would allow me to do pretty much everything that I'm already doing now through my rack rig and it would all fit into a small bag that weighs a lot less than my 30KG rack. It costs hundreds of dollars to transport every time I fly  :-\

The main things I'd like to see from FAS here are:

1. Simple audio routing ability that lets the user quickly disable direct monitoring at the outputs so the audio can be externally processed and returned without a double signal. I imagine this will be possible with some crafty routing; like on the II.

2. MIDI Thru over USB that will actually work with macOS. In my II XL+ rig I need additional external MIDI gear to get things going. I won't hold my breath as this is still not working on the II after repeated requests for a solution from many users. It has been recently confirmed as an issue on the III too.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/28421792/

QuoteWatt McCo said: ↑
With all the nerds in this forum, you'd think somebody could analyze the question "just how much more processing could they realistically cram into a floor unit" keeping heat/ventilation/weight concerns of a floor unit in mind.

I sure as heck wouldn't want a floor unit with fan cooling...my laptop is enough of a dust trap.

So is the "same processing power as Ax-8" a cost savings thing, or a "eh, realistically it's gonna be tough to cram a lot more into a floor unit without some kind of cooling system you probably don't want in a floor unit expected to be tossed/kicked around."

Cliff wrote>
Precisely. There's only so much heat you can dissipate in a small chassis. Add to that the requirement for harsh environments (outside, on a hot day in direct sun) and you have to be careful.

There actually is a fan in the unit but it's controlled by a thermostat and under normal conditions it doesn't run.

Reliability is paramount in a product like this. You can't have it shutting down during a performance.
Fractal Audio

carlb

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on April 24, 2019, 12:55:32 AM
<...> Imagine - GP-10 -> FM3 <-> laptop/tablet + MIDI controller <...>

Think you'll need a MIDX-20 to MIDI-control the GP-10, correct?

This setup, sans-laptop, is what I'm thinking of. Ampero for the however-long wait until my name pops-up on the FM3 wait list.
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

scratch17

The FM3 looks great at $999. I'm looking forward to mix and match amp models, cabs and effects with my Kemper.

I will wait until Kemper releases its new OS and Kemper Kab technology before I buy an FM3. I want to see what these new features add to the Kemper before I make any new purchases for my guitar rig.

Ron @RJM has said that the new Kemper features will be integrated into native support on the RJM Mastermind GT foot controller. Of course this will not happen as soon as the features are released. It will take some time because this will be a huge change for the Kemper platform.

I am hoping that RJM will also quickly add support for the FM3 on my GT10.

It would seem that since the FX-III is supported on MMGT, and the FM3 works with the same FC-6 and FC-12 Faslink 2 controllers without needing any additional programming, the same might be true with the MMGT series. At least some of the FX-III control features should be quickly available on FM3. We will see.
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

admin

carlb

Hey, where's the GP-10 in that bunch? That sure gets overlooked in the multi-effects mindset.
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Vaultnaemsae

Quote from: carlb on April 24, 2019, 08:27:12 AM
Think you'll need a MIDX-20 to MIDI-control the GP-10, correct?

This setup, sans-laptop, is what I'm thinking of. Ampero for the however-long wait until my name pops-up on the FM3 wait list.

I have a MIDX-10 but I only use it with the iPad. For a laptop rig: GP-10's mono analog out to the FM3's analog in + GP-10 MIDI over USB to the laptop (control all MIDI I/O from the laptop).

I'm not in the US so I'm sure I'll be waiting forever and paying a premium when the time finally comes :(

admin

Quote from: carlb on April 24, 2019, 11:11:26 AM
Hey, where's the GP-10 in that bunch? That sure gets overlooked in the multi-effects mindset.

ITS THE SECRET WEAPON!

sadly 99% think GP-10's only good when used with that weird Roland MIDI PU

admin

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on April 24, 2019, 11:32:43 AM
I have a MIDX-10 but I only use it with the iPad. For a laptop rig: GP-10's mono analog out to the FM3's analog in + GP-10 MIDI over USB to the laptop (control all MIDI I/O from the laptop).

I'm not in the US so I'm sure I'll be waiting forever and paying a premium when the time finally comes :(

Get on the Euro FM3 waiting list here
https://www.g66.eu/
kicks@g66.eu

Vaultnaemsae

The world is bigger than the US and Europe.

admin

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on April 24, 2019, 12:49:46 PM
The world is bigger than the US and Europe.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/international-ordering/

List of Fractal Audio Systems International Dealers

Europe including Scandinavia & the UK
G66.eu
Marienstrasse 61a
D-24937 Flensburg
TEL. +49 (0) 461 1828-066
FAX. +49 (0) 461 1828-094
http://www.g66.eu
kicks@g66.eu

Japan
Okada International Inc.
2-15-8 Tamazutsumi
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo, Japan 158-0087
TEL.03-3703-3221
FAX.03-3703-1821
www.okada-web.com
q@okada-web.com

Australia
Independent Music
186 Albion Road
Windsor QLD 4030, Australia
TEL. (07) 3852 1116
http://shop.independentmusic.com.au/

Russia & NIS
TubeTone Russia
Dmitrovskoe shosse 62k2
Moscow, 127474
Russian Federation
+7 495 764 0800

Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macao
Guitarcube Co. LTD China
TEL.+86 (0)10 52836724/65569707
www.guitarcube.com
sales@guitarcube.com

Korea
Sergio MUSIC
#606, 28, Dusan-ro, Geumchen-gu, Seoul, Korea
Tel: +82.2.514.0600 / +82.10.4159.0912
www.sergiomusic.co.kr
sergiomusic@naver.com

Brazil
Piguitars
TEL: +55 61 98125-4258
www.piguitarshop.com
www.facebook.com/piguitars/

Thailand
Strings Co.,ltd
93/334 Sukhumvit 24
Klongtun Klongtoey
Bangkok Thailand 10110
Tel: +6680-114-4141
www.stringsshop.com
www.facebook.com/stringsshop
info@stringsshop.com

Singapore
Davis Music Center
3, Coleman Street
Peninsula Shopping Complex
#B1-40/41, Singapore 179804
TEL: 65-6-3375092
www.davisguitar.com
davisgmc@singnet.com.sg

Turkey
AMBAR Guitars
Hayrettinpasa Mah.
Barbaros Cad.
No:78 Ayvalik
Balikesir TURKIYE
TEL: +90 266 358 1491
www.ambarguitars.com
dealer@ambarguitars.com

Indonesia
Melodia Musik
Sultan Iskandar Muda 15B
Pondok Indah, Jakarta 12240
Indonesia
TEL. (6221) 72787706-7
www.melodiamusik.com
melodia@rad.net.id

Mexico
Guitar Gear
Río Orinoco 342 Ote
Col. Del Valle San Pedro Garza García
NL CP 66220 Mexico
TEL: (81) 8374-8550
www.guitargear.com.mx

Israel
The Sixth String
Derech Shlomo (Salame) 29
Tel Aviv
Israel
TEL: 073-7272966
www.string6.co.il

Chile
Overdrive Guitar & Bass Shop
Av. Libertador Bernardo O'higgins 108, Local 138
Tel: +56232174280
www.overdrive.cl

Argentina
Gear Haven & GH Systems
www.gearhaven.com.ar
facebook.com/GearHaven/

Malaysia
Music Bliss
Music Bliss Sdn Bhd, 19 (1st and 2nd Floor)
Jalan SM10,Pjs 3/38 Taman Sri Manja,
46000 Petaling Jaya.
Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Tel: +6 (03)-77813596 H/P : 0163111286
www.musicbliss.com.my

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

carlb

Quote from: admin on April 24, 2019, 11:32:54 AM
<...> sadly 99% think GP-10's only good when used with that weird Roland MIDI PU

"That MIDI stuff? I'm not playing a MIDI geetar!"

It's like listening to George W. Bush Jr.: "Fine sure, Sir. You go on calling it 'Nucular.'"   ::)
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

admin

Loud-Guitar Japan on Fractal FM-3
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=https://loud-guitar.com/archives/4424&prev=search

Loud guitar LOUD GUITAR TOP  equipment  effector It is a pattern to release the floor pedal type of small fractal.

THE FM3
It is a pattern to release the floor pedal type of small fractal. THE FM3
Sponsoring
April 24, 2019

effector

Fractal FM3.

Fractal also seems to put out a small piece of the floor pedal.
It's called floor type or desktop type.

Either way it's a fractal, so it's expensive.

A major company has followed the small type for a long time, so it will be in the form of following.

Surely, the sound is still the highest peak in modeling, but the price is also the highest.

The price has not come out yet, but it will surely be over 150,000.

The floor type that is currently out is 200,000, so that's about it.

Chinami's LINE6 HX Stomp is about 80,000 yen.

Even if you think about it, it is expensive.

But after all, fractals are good too.
Not only the amp but also the effects part has a good reputation.

Even though I have never used it.

The core fractal fan will be concerned about this product, but especially if it is not a fan or anything, the feeling that I can be satisfied with LINE 6 HX Stomp, which has already appeared.

Moreover, there are GEO of MOOER, and there is "Ampero" of Hotone.

Loud guitar LOUD GUITAR

Which is better with Mooer GE200 and Preamp Live?
https://loud-guitar.com/archives/3916
Recently, I have trouble with GE200 and Preamp Live. I do not mean to buy it another time. If you would like to buy one, which one would you say? The sample animation of GE200 is being uploaded more and more, but all this sounds good again. ...

Loud guitar LOUD GUITAR

Hotone's "Ampero" looks pretty good. And it's cool.
https://loud-guitar.com/archives/4322

Speaking of Chinese manufacturers, "MOOER" or "Hotone". In me. The multi-effector amp simulator was announced by Hotone. "Ampero" 64 kinds of amp modeling and 60 kinds of cabinet mo ...

Well, but I guess I couldn't help leaving the small type.
Such feeling is transmitted to Bishibashi.