Using RC-300 stereo loops to get separate vocal and guitar outputs

Started by dswitkin, April 01, 2019, 06:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dswitkin

Hi folks,

I have a TC Helicon Play Acoustic which has a nice feature -- the outputs for vocals and guitar can be kept separate, so that you send two mono channels to the mixer. This is really nice if you're performing with a sound person who can then balance and EQ them separately.

Has anyone tried to accomplish this with the RC-300? Obviously you can't use the mic jack, because it sends to both left and right, but if you had an external mic preamp it seems you could bring that in on the left instrument input and the guitar on the right. Since the loops are stereo you should get the two as separate outputs. Are there any downsides to this approach? The main one I can think of is that if you use the headphone jack for monitoring like I do you'll get the vocals and guitar panned hard left and right instead of a normal stereo mix. I would probably use a mono adapter to fix that so I get a mono version of both in both ears.

Any thoughts?

dswitkin

plexified

That has been achieved and beyond. Some use it as a 6 track. Here is the link for the thread to outline the concept with a few diagrams. I'll warn you in advance, it might take a few minutes to wrap your mind around. So if that turns up, scroll to find the diagram. It should help with the visual. Its quite a great example of thinking outside the box. Enjoy...

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7716.0

maxquad57

Go here.

Our band just figured out how. BTW, Plexified's link looks pretty intriguing, especially the stuff about squeezing twice as many tracks out!

However, what you want - separate outputs for any of the inputs and for the loop tracks is a much simpler affair and can be done easily.