Katana - 4 x 12 16 ohm speaker cab

Started by Oingyboingybob, March 16, 2019, 10:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oingyboingybob

Could anyone out there, who's better qualified than I am, confirm that it's OK to run a 4 x 12 16 ohm cab off the Katana 100 for live gigs? I intend to disconnect the Katana speaker so as not to muddy the impedance rating. I do understand that the actual perceived volume will be less due to the increase in impedance from 8 to 16 ohms but I would like confirmation that damage to the amp output stage will not be an issue either at low volume or high volume - I'm not as confident/familiar with SS amps as I am with valve amps. I can say, however, that the Katana 100 is addictive and fun. TIA.

vtgearhead

Quote from:  philjynx on March 16, 2019, 11:12:18 AM

You'll be fine. If you think of zero ohms as short circuit you'll see that the further way you get from that the better. I don't know if open circuit (infinite ohms) would hurt, but 16 ohms won't.

You could always rewire (or get someone else to do it) the 4x12 to 8 ohms if you want more noise.

The current drivers are either 4-ohm or 16-ohm - probably the latter - and no topology I can think of results in a net 8-ohm load. 

Vintenar

Yes using à 16-ohm cab works fine. I've been using mine that way since I bought it, just never use it for ver long or at all with a 4 0hm cab. I blew a soldered fuse and something else doing that with my Katana.

admin

If you do connect a third party 16 ohm 4x12 cab to a Katana-100 combo - just be sure to also disconnect the original 8 ohm Katana Speaker too

All Katana Power Amps have a minimum 8 ohm load rating. The factory speaker is 8 ohms , and adding another 16 ohm Speaker cabinet will reduce the total speaker load below 8 ohms ( 16 ohm  & 8 ohm speakers in parallel  = 5.3 ohms
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/parallel-resistance-calculator/

Vintenar

I was running 2x12 cab that had speakers that were measuring 13.5 or so ohm's and didn't have any issues. I never disconnected the internal speaker. I thought I read somewhere the internal speaker used a separate solid state amp. The only issue I had was when I accidentally plugged my speaker into the 4 ohm jack on my cabinet and it did play for about 10 minutes before it blew the transformer.

admin

Quote from: Vintenar on January 09, 2021, 03:42:09 PM
I was running 2x12 cab that had speakers that were measuring 13.5 or so ohm's and didn't have any issues. I never disconnected the internal speaker. I thought I read somewhere the internal speaker used a separate solid state amp. The only issue I had was when I accidentally plugged my speaker into the 4 ohm jack on my cabinet and it did play for about 10 minutes before it blew the transformer.

Which Katana model are you using?

The Head supports 8 ohm cabs  - or 16 ohm cabs at 1/2 the power

Never run less than 8 ohm load on any Katana Amp

and there is no Output  Transformer on any Katana - as it uses a SG Micro Class AB power IC output chip.