RC-300 delay effect echo speed seems wrong at certain beat settings

Started by dswitkin, March 10, 2019, 10:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dswitkin

Hi folks,

I think I've found a bug and haven't seen it elsewhere on the forum. If I set my tempo, e.g. 97 BPM, and then turn on delay, the quarter note, half note, and whole note all echo the note I play at the same speed! In fact one measure does as well. Further, while dotted quarter repeats at a different speed than quarter note, dotted quarter is the same as dotted half and dotted whole. Can anyone confirm this? The 1/8th and 16th versions seem correct. Good thing I use dotted eight almost all the time!

Syph

Without dragging out my RC300 or manual, I suspect you're encountering the max delay time limit of the unit.
If a selected delay rhythm (minim/semi breve/etc) at the set tempo is longer than the max delay time in milliseconds then it will adjust the delay rhythm to a value within the max delay time.

Or, to put it another way...

If the unit has a max delay time of a second, and you select a minim for the delay length at 60 bpm, the delay time would be effectively 2 seconds, which is longer than the max delay time which is one second, so it would set it to the largest subdivision within the delay time range, which in this case would be a crotchet.

Not a bug, just a limitation of the delay FX.

dswitkin

Good call, I think you're right. Looks like a quarter note at 97 BPM is 618 ms, and the longest manual delay you can set (from memory) is 600 ms, so it must be selecting a different interval. Strange that they would offer whole note and one measure settings then which would basically be unavailable in any reasonable time signature/tempo combination. Good to know it's a limitation rather than a bug.