AMPERO - Works great with IOS ( iPhone / iPad)

Started by Elantric, February 27, 2019, 10:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

I'm having a blast with the Ampero. my main attraction is the mutli- use design - it hits most of my wish list in a small tote-able Guitar workstation interface.

Some discoveries and verification of USB Class Compliant AUDIO -

I used ATH-M40 Headphones connected to the Ampero's Heaphone Out jack - the Ampero's Heaphone output has good characteristics and easily drives these 32 ohm  headphones LOUD and CLEAR.

I connected my iPad Pro +Apple USB Camera Adapter via USB to Ampero - and then launched a B3 Organ app on iPad and was greeted with great stereo Organ sound on Ampero's Headphone Output - confirming Ampero works as a USB Class Compliant DAC

Tested with iPad Pro +Apple USB Camera Adapter and USB 2.0 cable running Auria Pro DAW (IOS) and that works with Ampero acting as the Audio Interface
Auria reports the Ampero as 2 in / 2 out 24 bit @ 44.1kHz USB Audio interface

You can assign the USB on Ampero for re-amping too

Next I used MIDI Monitor app and made a screen grab of the MIDI SYSEX that Ampero transmits upon each foot switch press and rotary encoder turned - I see AMPERO TRANSMITS SYSEX for each of those control over USB.

Had a lot of fun jamming with the Amperos excellent sounding drums - (right there with beat buddy quality) many patterns are supplied - great for basic songwriting. just Ampero and an iPad - this should makes a great interface for Jam Origin MIDI GUITAR

This is a keeper for me

Yes with FW People ask - "How is the Amp Modeling on Ampero" - I place it comparable if not better than Headrush - the Speaker Cab IR sim really shows here - and Ampero is a big step above Boss GT-1,

Id say Ampero is in same league as Atomic AmpliFire 3 IMHO.

It breaths like analog -

some folks complain about the hiss on ultra gain patches - but its no worse than the genuine tube rig its emulating - and there is a controllable "smart noise gate" - but the background noise does not bother me _ I can mute the Ampero with the Expression pedal between songs - but others might complain.

with Firmware V1.0 the Ampero expression pedal lag is significant - I doubt Hotone will be able to add usable Whammy pedal emulation with any firmware updates - but i'd enjoy being wrong here ;) the Ampero FX are slow to react to the onboard Expression Pedal treadle - response is "laggy" but clean zipper free audio is the result during transitions

I've been editing and working with my Ampero for several hours last night
- never ever saw any "Record the error and restart" error messages in the LCD ( as seen in pic above) - I'm making music and creating songs very fast with Ampero - goal accomplished

The big deal is Ampero is small and will go with you. Ampero is the right size - similar to a boss GT1 means it goes in my gig bag and can be with me everywhere ( not really possible with GT-1000 or Mooer GE 300) means more opportunities for Music Creation song writing. Ampero + iPad you could be very very productive

This is a keeper for me

admin

I will be testing AMPERO with Android tablet / and smartphone  later this week

and of course AMPERO works with a Mac too

admin

Guitar: 1999 Fender Classic 70s Strat w/ Texas Special Pickups
iPhone SE connected Via Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, built-in camera recorded, no OUTPUT jack connected except the headphone for monitoring
***Drum Rhythm sound can't be recorded via USB so far

mdortona

I tried this last night and it didn't work. Went from the Apero usb to genuine apple ccc , midi set to Omni in all iPad apps and Ampero. Ampero Headphone out to in of a powered speaker (accepts balanced/stereo plugs). Crickets. Ampero guitar can through fine. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help!

admin

Which IOS version are you using ?

Im on IOS 11.01
I understand latest IOS broke many former working USB Class compliant audio/MIDI Connections as Apple has implemented. New restrictions to promote "mFI" compliance as a requirement.
Above shows evidence of myself and others having success using Ampero as Audio/ MIDI Interface with iPhones and iPad

But ive learned NOT to apply the latest IOS updates - elae things break

Also,

1 ) Launch the Audio App 1st

2)  Then connect the Ampero via USB , and set Ampero as Audio I/O in app settings