Katana R&D - MIDI Designer for all Katanas (iPad) w/ Wireless control

Started by alancarl, February 22, 2019, 09:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

easelec

Do you know if the Katana allows MIDI to control the wah-wah, and if so, what message to send (similar for the volume pedal). Does one send CC's to it or sysex.

While I wait to get my raspberry pi thingie setup to make connecting my iPad to the Katana more convenient, I have found that I can use my MacBook Air to connect my iPad to the Katana.

For anyone interested, advertise bluetooth from the iPad. Connect on the the Mac in the Audio MIDI Setup via Bluetooth. Use the MIDI Patch Bay app (free download) to pipe Bluetooth to the Katana.

Any plans to create layouts that would allow loading/saving the fx pedal parameters?

It is so much more convenient for me to use my iPad than the Mac to talk to the Katana.

Gurbz

https://github.com/snhirsch/katana-midi-bridge/blob/master/doc/katana_sysex.txt

Pedal Wah

60 00 01 5C --> yy

Cry Wah:     00
  Vox Wah:     01
  Fat Wah:     02
  Light Wah:   03
  7String Wah: 04
  Reso Wah:    05

Pedal Pos (0..100)
60 00 01 5D --> 00 .. 64

Pedal Min (0..100)
60 00 01 5E --> 00 .. 64

Pedal Max (0..100)
60 00 01 5F --> 00 .. 64

Effect Level (0..100)
60 00 01 60 --> 00 .. 64

Direct Mix (0..100)
60 00 01 61 --> 00 .. 64

Here are the sysex values

Look into the other knobs and it makes sense:

41 00 00 00 33 12 60 00 01 5C V for example.

You will also need the fx1 cc16 comnand, fx1_on sysex and select fx1.

Are u new to MDP? If so there is a whole world to explore. You won't be bored.

Cc messages- if you use the primova midx-20 you can use cc's. It is already laid out for you, www.primova.com.
I developed my first layout for the midx-20 but focused on creating presets and that generated quite some data and sometimes a full midi buffer. But if you want to control wah's, a few cc's realtime then the primova is a great box.

I got curious about sending sysex wireless, tried an yamaha ud bt 01 and got hooked to that last year.

I try to create a complete sysex template for the katana that can be hacked, copied and used it very many different ways.

The power of mdp is hooking everything up but also displaying the same data in a personal customizable interface
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

easelec

Thanks. That is very helpful info about the wah.

I don't have a primova box. Currently, I am doing iPad to Mac to Katana -- soon I'll switch to using a raspberry pi as the go-between.

I am not quite sure what you mean by "You will also need the fx1 cc16 comnand, fx1_on sysex and select fx1. "

Could you clarify?

Thanks.

Gurbz

If you want to use a FX (boost, mod, delay, fx2, reverb):

- CC 16,17,or 18 should be ON (value 127)
These can also be found in boss tone studio and represent the values of your buttons on top of your katana;
- if you use the wah in the mod section you are using fx1. Explanation: fx1 and fx2 are almost identical, picture in your head you are using the boost/ mod knob and fx1 button on the amp;
- to choose and use an effect it should also be selected and activated in the fx1 section. Therefore you select the fx1_on, select FX1 (instead of boost) AND of course the number of the wah fx. Fx1 has like 37 effects? You should choose the number of the wah effect;
-after activating these sysex messages the right way you can hear the wah when you are tweaking its parameters.

All this can be a bit intimidating ar first  but once you understand the architecture of the amp it will get easy.

I advice to cross- reference with boss tone studio, gumtowns katana floorboard editor and katana librarian. You can also upload your mdp layouts if you're stuck and I'll take a look at them when I have the time. (Sometimes fast, sometimes slow)

The special thanks for all the ground work on the amp's internal workings go to admin, beanow, gumtown, codesmart, mr. Hirsch and all people I forgot.

In this forum you can find a lot of stuff about your questions.

Are you new to MDP?
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

Gurbz

https://mididesigner.com/qa/7440/layout-katana-slicer-effect-sysex

If you download this template you can find the described sysex ans buttons beneath the surface.
Grtz,

Gurbz

easelec

Thanks. Yes, I am familiar with MDP though it has been a while since I did any programming with it.

I hope you won't mind a few more questions:

* Does your Primova template (https://mididesigner.com/qa/7079/layout-boss-katana-f-w-2-04-primova-midx-20-preset-version?show=7079#q7079) only work if one has the Primova interface? Might it work using Raspberry Pi as the go-between?
a9
* You mention "I advice to cross- reference with boss tone studio, gumtowns katana floorboard editor and katana librarian". What is the Katana Librarian?

I noticed somewhere that you have created some TouchOSC templates for the Katana (I think it was you), do they have some capabilities not yet in the MDP versions?

Thanks for all the work you have done. I hope that I'll be able to contribute some once I am better set up for it.

Gurbz

- primova midx-20 comes pre- configured, the different sysex is already 'translated' to CC, you need the midx-20 for it with is programmed firmware (midibridge)

- katana librarian is a cool android app, check it out.

- touchosc. Yeah, made some of that for the primova. The difference with midi designer is that they don't have presets. Touch OSC is a bit 'flatter'. You design controls. Midi designer has much more options.

You'll find almost everything on these forums about the mentioned subjects.

Cheers,

Gurbz
Grtz,

Gurbz

easelec

FYI, I put together the Raspberry Pi USB MIDI Host/Bluetooth unit and it works well. I did the "easy instaill" which consists of simply flashing a microSD card, inserting it in the Raspberry Pi and powering up. It works great with your MIDI Designer templates for editing Katana parameters. (The project is at: https://neuma.studio/rpi-as-midi-host.html )

They have a more customized version of the project, too, but I've run into a couple of glitches (probably user error on my part with that version -- but it isn't necessary the "easy install" takes care of everything that I wanted).

The USB out from the Katana plugs into the raspberry pi and the iPad connects via Bluetooth.

Now, I am set up to dig in a bit -- and realizing that I have to re-acquaint myself with the MDP work flow. I want to set up a template for controlling my favorite stompbox setup so that I can have access to more than the one parameter dial available on the amp -- and link them to incoming MIDI CC.

Gurbz

Thanks for the info. The raspberry, arduino and beagleboard are on my list of interest.
Don't have time to try everything out so this information is great, thanks for contributing that.

So you have to use MDP again, well the katana is a perfect motivation for that.
I' m working for a few months now on a bigger sysex layout. There are quite a few things to consider in that process and I sometime send out a layout as a sign of life down here ;)

The nice thing about MDP is that it is more than just a virtual knob-maker. You can add functions like presets, etc.

I assume we have time and will try to help when possible. The mididesigner team and community is also very helpfull.

Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

Sign of life concerning upcoming bigger sysex kanana release.

It will feature:

- intuitive menu (max 2 presses);
- real time katana control for rehearsal room and stage;
- wireless control;
- 20 presets (within each preset 3 amp, boost settings);
- assignable midi control;
- and more.

Stay tuned. Release plan: oktober 2019.
Grtz,

Gurbz

easelec

That looks very cool.

I am starting to get mighty feet wet. My first task is to get a pedal wah working .... something along the lines of your Slicer template.

I'm a little stuck. I've looked at the sysex that slicer sends out and have some questions. Where is the best place to ask you technical questions here in public or PM or email?

I've been looking through the sysex guide and am not finding a couple of the messages you are sending. And am not sure if I am interpreting it correctly in terms of setting up the pedal wah. So, I want to ask about the messages I can't find and show you the sequence of messages that I am sending to see if anything jumps out.

Gurbz

Probably create an account @ mididesigner forums.
I chime in then after you ask a question.

https://mididesigner.com/qa/

There are many categories of questions: basic, advanced, etc.
It 's the place for it  and they welcome new members.  You can post results also here like I did.
Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

Grtz,

Gurbz

easelec

Thanks. I've posted some questions over there. I have been able to get my wah template working thanks to your Slicer. You'll see my questions. There are a couple of messages that seem critical that you use that I didn't find documented in the Katana sysex guide you pointe me to. So, I think I am on my way to putting together some front-ends for some stompboxes that I'd like to access and tweak on-the-fly from the iPad.

When they are workable, I'll post.

Gurbz

Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

I'm wrapped up in the big mdp lay-out but here 's something practical.

Wireless Bluetooth midi katana control with a stickon iPhone, Yamaha UD bt-01 and a BOSS Katana Head.

First up is boost/mod block, then the delay/fx block. So: boost green —> boost red —> boost yellow, mod green —> etc.

This layout makes it possible to really switch the fx blocks on the fly. Note how the amp responds (colors leds) to the switching.

For boost/mod section alone thats 6 combinations (or 3x3, testing this) a preset, storable in a mididesigner global preset (20 max).

This is the second video with a slightly adjusted layout, amp switching fx blocks can be seen clearly now.

Of course you do not have to stick an iPhone to your guitar, this can also be controlled by a midi floorcontroller.

Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

demo + sound

Preset 1, skimming through all green, red and yellow fx.
Grtz,

Gurbz

sixeight

Quote from: Gurbz on August 15, 2019, 03:47:34 AM
demo + sound

Preset 1, skimming through all green, red and yellow fx.

Nice work Gurbz!
Just don't tell me you triggered the dog bark from your phone as well!  ;D

Gurbz

It is possible with mididesigner!
But: this a real live one :)

Only thing that bugs me is the definitive OFF setting for an effect. It sometimes wont't trigger off and I'm using three sysex commands at once: fx1_off, cc16 off, and select boost instead of mod. You can hear it the video happening, Also the fx 2 octaver (wall street shuffle melody) won't turn off untill I switch effect en select cc17 off. Katana is mysterious but I'm gettting there
Grtz,

Gurbz

easelec

Very nice.

Are you only having trouble getting some effects to turn off with FX1 Off?

How are you able to get the button colors to cycle when you tap them? I set up a knob with increment/decrement steppers which uses up too much screen real estate.

Gurbz

Good question:

- create a button group, 3 colored buttons and a knob, make the knob supercontrol of the 3 buttons (see manual mdp)
- create 3 ticks for the supercontrol (knob or something else, no button), value 1-3;
- create a momentary button, make it a super control of the knob. Now it is a stepper buttons that steps through each color

Stack the colored buttons on top of each other, turn deactivate touch ON in the midi menu and put the stepper on top if it. Experiment with colors, I use in the page menu a white highlight for the controls to make a contrast in colors.

That should set you up, I shall put the layout online but Im just not satisfied yet.
Probably should create a mididesigner thread.
Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

Quote from: easelec on August 15, 2019, 05:59:59 AM
Very nice.

Are you only having trouble getting some effects to turn off with FX1 Off?

Yeah, it's one ot the idiosyncrasies of the amp that I'm trying to understand. Almost there. When switching betweeen the red, green and yellow fx modes it seems that the amp sometimes gets stuck into that effect until you switch back to that effect again.

So: when I use fx2 octaver and switch to delay section the octaver stays on untill I switch back to fx2 and change the effect (say red—>green). Then I can switch it off.
Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

Nailed it. It seems to be a sequential thing:

-turn off CC 16 (or 17 or 18, in this case boost/mod so CC16);
- activate MOD for example mod/octaver;
- select MOD from boost/ mod selector;
- select the right color (GRY)
- turn on CC16.

Repeat same sequence when selecting next effect. No more suprises in sound.

Now you don't have boost and mod at the same time but at least you have soundcontrol. It is not complicated to add a  option for simultaneous boost/mod though from this point.
Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

Grtz,

Gurbz

easelec

Great! I look forward to trying this out. It'll be a few days before I can get back to my hacking.