GP-10 or Wait

Started by cambler, January 29, 2019, 01:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cambler

Hi Gang

Very excited to find this forum as a potential new GP-10 owner. Been doing lots of research into the unit and I'm very excited by the possibilities it provides. My only hesitation is that it's been around for a while now so I'm wondering if there's anything new on the near horizon from Boss. ie. the next model. I'm keen on a unit that uses the GK pickup for alt tuning possibilities and also multiple string out options etc.

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

admin

Nothing new arriving anytime soon

Brak(E)man

You can get a new GP-10 at a very low price.
It's absolutely worth to get even if there's something new coming eventually.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

DeRigueur

Quote from: admin on January 29, 2019, 06:47:08 AM
Nothing new arriving anytime soon
Do you have any inside information?
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

admin

Quote from: DeRigueur on January 29, 2019, 08:21:05 AM
Do you have any inside information?

Yes - Recent dialogue with Yoshi at 2019 Winter NAMM

carlb

GP-10 offers so much for such a small, relatively low-cost package. Great sounding instrument and amp models. Solid Boss reliability, especially at the gig.

What are your intended uses?

One caveat: if you intend to use 13-pin (instead of 1/4") input, get a really good cable. The ones from Roland/Boss are "OK," but I've had crackles/pops with them during live use. Forum member Codesmart has some really good quality cables made. Well worth it.

Second caveat: if you're going 13-pin, go with a Roland GK pickup (either built-in kit or removable kit). Piezos from the various sources just don't sound as true for models, and they have problems of one sort or another that you will run into. In my experience.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

cambler

Thanks so much to you all for the advice and thoughts. Really do appreciate. From what I've read on the forum and from what I've heard via online demos etc I am well and truly sold. I'm really interested in the more esoteric sounds this thing can help create although I will have lots of use for the modelling as this will be used almost exclusively in a studio setup. I'm going for the GP10GK option which comes with the GK3 pickup and is much cheaper than buying the unit and pickup standalone. I can get the GP10K here in Australia for $579 AUD which I think is pretty good.

Very excited! Thanks again.

cambler

Quote from: Brak(E)man on January 29, 2019, 07:12:15 AM
You can get a new GP-10 at a very low price.
It's absolutely worth to get even if there's something new coming eventually.

Brak(E)man did you manage to sort out your issues with warbling? I saw in one thread you were about to give up on the GP10 due to the warbling issue you were facing?

Brak(E)man

Quote from: cambler on January 30, 2019, 01:29:29 AM
Brak(E)man did you manage to sort out your issues with warbling? I saw in one thread you were about to give up on the GP10 due to the warbling issue you were facing?

No, I never got it to stop warble.
When I use alt tune I don't sustain chords anymore and then I don't have a problem.
Single notes are fine and so are most intervals.
I believe it's a combination between how one use the GP and maybe the guitar, settings and the setup on the guitar.
I do have the same issue with different guitars and GK 1,2&3 internal and external though.
Gk1 through a 24-13 pin converter.
For most players it seems to be a non issue and I'd recommend getting a GP in any case.

- Lydia Lunch

cambler

Quote from: Brak(E)man on January 30, 2019, 03:27:13 AM
No, I never got it to stop warble.
When I use alt tune I don't sustain chords anymore and then I don't have a problem.
Single notes are fine and so are most intervals.
I believe it's a combination between how one use the GP and maybe the guitar, settings and the setup on the guitar.
I do have the same issue with different guitars and GK 1,2&3 internal and external though.
Gk1 through a 24-13 pin converter.
For most players it seems to be a non issue and I'd recommend getting a GP in any case.

Thanks for your feedback Brak(E)man. From all I've heard and read, this device was born to be part of my setup :)

DeRigueur

Quote from: admin on January 29, 2019, 08:50:20 AM
Yes - Recent dialogue with Yoshi at 2019 Winter NAMM
Can they be bribed? :)
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

carlb

When you get a chance, wax-pot the GK pickup. Does help a lot with the warbles.

I readily play open-g or drop-d live now. 12-string models sound much better too. Was just goofing with Open-E tunings, etc., no problems. Of course the acoustic beat-frequencies from physical string against speaker-output is there, but nothing can help that besides turn-up the GP-10 output.

Strumming on harmonics is still an issue, I won't do much of that with an alternate tuning. But yes, potting the pickup helps a lot.
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

cambler

My dream just got derailed! Ordered the GP10GK from an Australian store and while I knew it had to be ordered in from the distributor I just found out today that the distributor will take 4 months to to get the unit in?!?!?! They are clearly manufacturing on Mars or somesuch. Really bummed as apparently they are the only distributor in Australia so it looks like I'll have the same issue everywhere.

With that in mind, do I have any alternatives they won't break the bank? I realise that there is not quite another unit like this and on paper it ticks all my boxes. Is the GR55 comparable? It is more expensive but it looks like there may be Australian stock. Also has anyone compared the GP-10 to a SY-300? I realise that without the GK3 pickup I will be missing out on a number of features but...

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Brak(E)man

My 2 cents
I don't like the gr-55 , I've had 3 and never got along with it, always returned them within a month. The pcm doesn't trigger better than the 80ths guitar to midi.
Some of the things are somewhat similar but GP-10 are way better imho.
The GP-10 and Sy-300 are perfect together but are not at all the same animal and not really comparable +  the Sy has severe polyphonic issues.

Try to find a secondhand or a new GP from overseas.
In Europe you can find a new with Gk3 for about $ 450 AUD.
Should be worth the money even with shipping and customs

- Lydia Lunch

carlb

What is the situation with online sources for you? eBay, Reverb, Anderton's, Musician's Friend and such?

Depending on your needs and wants for the unit, the GP-10 can be hard to substitute. The VG-99 would be the closest for me, but its amps aren't as good to my ear, it's acoustic instruments modeling not as good. The same for the GR55, for my ears. Although the GR55 does have cool PCM capabilities which the GP-10 doesn't.

A two-unit option could be an Antares ATG unit, followed by an amp and effects modeler.

The VG-99 or Antares units you'd have to find used, unfortunately.

If your instrument modeling and alt tuning needs aren't as important, the GT-1000 offers further advanced amps and effects. A small bit of electric to acoustic modeling and humbucker to single coil modeling, and vice-versa as well.

For "choose your own," building a floorboard from assorted pedals is a popular approach. Can't get the same types of instrument modeling or recallable patches, but EHX makes some very cool narrower-purpose pedals that you can include Ala carte.

If you want synth tones with effects the SY-300 has those, or again a collection of EHX pedals.

If you want patch control of stomp boxes with built in effects, Boss makes a killer effects loop controller, can be used in conjunction with the floorboard approach.

Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

admin

cambler

Thanks guys/gals, really appreciate the input. I found a store in the UK, Peaches, that have the unit in stock and will ship to Australia. Sadly another $170 AUD from what I could get it for here if it were in stock however I am happy to pay that much for 4 months extra of sonic joy :)

Kudos to all the great folks on this forum providing such wonderful support and advice.

chrish

Imo, Its worth waiting 4 months as long as you're not obligated to complete the purchase if something better comes along.

I know from experience that gear lust effects our decision making. Spend the $170 you'll save on an Ehx pedal or something until the gp10 is available.

cambler

I hear you guys on the idea of patience, saving some money and also the local warranty however I'm also using this to help kick start myself back into recording and making music after a very long hiatus. If it goes anyway towards inspiring such activities I'd probably be happy to pay even more :) I'm also pretty untrusting of the 4 month wait and the fact it could possibly blow out. I can only assume these units are in short supply if the 4 month wait is anything to go by.

chrish

Try before you buy.

Some folks, including myself don't like using a processor to handle alternate tunings. I don't play at loud enough volumes to  cancel out the acoustic effect of the guitar so you wind up hearing both pitches.

I do however enjoy mixing in pitch shifts with the fundamental note of the guitar.

What if you buy a pedal from out of the country and don't like it?

Just saying GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) is a powerful force.

I almost just purchased  a used hex pickup for to much money taken off a corroded mess  of a guitar that looks like it was in a flood with no guarantee from the seller that it works.

I ran it by my wife and she said wait something will come along.

You may want to call Roland Corp. directly and ask them what's up with the wait.

chrish

Don't know what the shipping from the US would be but have you checked out this thread.

www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10877.0

admin

Quote from: chrish on February 01, 2019, 09:05:05 AM
Don't know what the shipping from the US would be but have you checked out this thread.

www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10877.0

Shipping to Australia is too costly

gumbo

PLUS !
Since July 1st 2018, Oz Gov takes another 10% on top for GST as it enters the country...doesn't matter if it's new or secondhand...even if it costs under 1000 AUD....

:(

if you can't wait, put a saved search alert on Oz eBay & Gumtree...   something will eventually come up...   8)  and no GST !
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

chrish

Quote from: gumbo on February 01, 2019, 01:19:06 PM
PLUS !
Since July 1st 2018, Oz Gov takes another 10% on top for GST as it enters the country...doesn't matter if it's new or secondhand...

:(

if you can't wait, put a saved search alert on Oz eBay & Gumtree...   something will eventually come up...   8)  and no GST !
simular cash grab happened in Washington State. I have to pay 8%+ sales tax for Sweetwater gear and other out of state web dealers now.

Nearest music store to me is a 200 mile round trip.

They haven't enforeced the tax on private party ebay and reverb sellers yet. But they will.

"Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman" :)

cambler

Quote from: admin on February 01, 2019, 09:55:07 AM
Shipping to Australia is too costly

Yeh and I believe that due to distribution restrictions US stores can't sell to Australian customers. For some reason it seems that some UK stores are able to though. My order's not in the mail yet but I spoke with their sales rep prior to purchase.

I hear the concerns over purchasing internationally and while it's not ideal I will have no want to return the unit for lack of love. I'm not a professional musician that has specific requirements for studio or stage, rather an explorer of sound and melody. I prefer to be lost than in control in a musical context :) As far as warranty is concerned the store seem to have free returns with RMA however I would attempt the local route first if this ever occurs. As for the final price it was actually equivalent to what a number of stores where selling it for here and even cheaper than a number of others. Just not as cheap as the first store I approached :(