Katana 50 USB recording level is low

Started by mettleurgist, January 11, 2019, 07:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mettleurgist

Hello -

I have a Katana 50 and am trying to use the USB cable to record. I am a hobbyist just trying to record my practice at home, nothing fancy. In the past I have used USB recording on my Peavey Vypyr and Fender Mustang amps with great success. I use Audacity as my DAW.

With the Katana 50 USB recording the volume is very low - I even compared the Audacity soundwaves between Katana and Vypyr and they are very different (Katana wave much smaller).

Things I have tried:
- trying each setting in the Boss Tone Studio System->Line Out Cabinet page (Line Out Air Feel and Cabinet Resonance) with no discernible difference.
-  in Audacity my input is set to "PRIMARY(KATANA)" and Output is my laptop's internal speakers. (I have also tried "SECONDARY(KATANA)" for the input and this just made the recording sound acoustic with no volume increase. My Audio Host setting is set to "MME" (other options are Windows WASAPI and Windows DirectSound)
- no amount of tinkering with Katana volume controls or Audacity recording levels has helped
- I tried using Audactiy's Normalize effect after recording and this just made the soundwave larger and very distorted/loud - not usable (I did this based on a posting I saw in a reddit forum)

I am planning on trying to record with Cakewalk, but I do not really think the issue is with my DAW (and I prefer to stay with Audacity for simplicity's sake since this only for my practice session recording).

BOSS has a video on recording the Katana with USB (using Ableton Live) so they definitely encourage it. And the latest Katana firmware update (v3.0 which I have installed) added USB stereo recording.

Any help would be very much appreciated as I am stumped and have not found any specific help in my searches on the Internet.

Thanks!

(I can provide screenshots of Audactity if that helps)

Brak(E)man

USB audio level out is what you want to change.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

admin

Use Boss Tone Studio , in the SYSTEM panel for USB settings

Guuz7

Putting the output levels to 200 is still too low!?

Any ideas?

fatjackdurham

The solution I saw was to boost your signal with a second EQ, but that makes it too loud to play unless you turn the master volume way down.

I did this in two ways:
1) I boosted the global EQ, under the system menu, by 20dB, and turned the volume pretty much off, listing only through the head phones from my computer
2) In Garageband, instead of using the Katana GlobalEQ, I just raised the EQ plugin level uniformly by 20db.

Still, a lot of devices seem to have this issue. The Behringer UM2 has the same issue on a Mac. I am wondering if a solution will ever be presented.

admin

Quote from: fatjackdurham on January 17, 2021, 08:13:13 AM
The solution I saw was to boost your signal with a second EQ, but that makes it too loud to play unless you turn the master volume way down.

I did this in two ways:
1) I boosted the global EQ, under the system menu, by 20dB, and turned the volume pretty much off, listing only through the head phones from my computer
2) In Garageband, instead of using the Katana GlobalEQ, I just raised the EQ plugin level uniformly by 20db.

Still, a lot of devices seem to have this issue. The Behringer UM2 has the same issue on a Mac. I am wondering if a solution will ever be presented.

Did you boost USB Audio signal using the controls in BTS?