Boss NexTone Amps

Started by admin, November 15, 2018, 09:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donaldduck

Does anyone have a Nextone? I switched to the Stage after KAT100 V1 and really like the sound, but found an issue.
When I switch channel the boost state is not consistent with the footswitch, as it is the last it had when I left that channel. For example, if I am on clean channel with no boost, switch to lead, turn on boost, switch again to clean: the boost footswitch is activated, but on the amp it isn't.
In my opinion the boost should be consistent with the switch, considering it is a Boss FS-7, so a recommended one.
No response from BOSS support  >:(

ABadOperator

I came to his thread looking for opinions on the Boss Nextone months back and I decided to buy one (an Artist) used off of Ebay after hearing a lot of playing clips. Here's some on my opinions for anyone who might come by here in the future. I'm a bedroom player by the way (before and of course during this COVID-19 business).

An Amp for the Klutz

One of the biggest arguments against this amp is that it's too expensive for what it is. There are tons of budget tube heads and combos for the price of the Artist version. And this is completely valid if you can use a tube amp without having to repair it every couple of months.

I'm clumsy and I've dropped my Katana 100 Mk1 head down the stairs a fair few times. Imagine the same happening with a tube head. I'm not ripping on tube amps mind you, I just need something that'll last years with an abusive partner. From this perspective I've basically found my perfect budget amp.

Qualities of the Clean Channel
The guitar I'm using is a mahogany super strat with an active humbucker in the bridge and stacked single coil in the neck.

It responds well dynamically with an edge-of-breakup tone if you aren't planning on using pedals. But it does take pedals quite well. I have a Burns Buzzaround copy that I love and it sounds heavenly for leads through an EL34 patch. The single volume control (no gain control on the clean channel) reacts well with the preamp. Without using the software, the clean channel cranked will give you some angry crunch tones just like you'd expect from an amp with lower headroom. Using the software's EQ to lower the preamp gain, you can get full but pristine cleans even with everything dimed at 80 watts. And of course that same EQ can be used to shape that clean tone to your liking. One thing to note, if you plan on using the amp as a clean platform then lowering the preamp gain is a must. It'll breakup far too quickly otherwise.

Qualities of the Lead Channel
Edited to be more clear. The guitar I'm using is a mahogany super strat with an active humbucker in the bridge and stacked single coil in the neck.

I'm not going to lie, I really didn't like the lead channel out of the box. No amount of front panel EQing would fix it. Cutting or boosting it still sounded far too fizzy with way too much high end. Using a combination of High Cut and what the software calls "Character Shape" (basically the power amp EQ) was mandatory to get rid of this fizzy frequency. After that I used the EQ in the preamp section as needed.

The quality of distortion was also an issue when I tried the built in boosts. The available distortions were bringing in the fizziness again and while I could lower their gain and boost levels, it just wasn't what I was looking for. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the overdrive/vintage sounding boosts cracked way up got me closer. I ended up adding a tube screamer copy to the front end to finally get my tone.

The Power Amp Section
Edited this section because I realized I didn't have the amp on its default settings. The guitar I'm using is a mahogany super strat with an active humbucker in the bridge and stacked single coil in the neck.

The power amp switching was a bit disappointing at first. Any of the sound clips online will tell you that it's a very subtle change. I just didn't expect it to be almost unnoticeable at low volumes. At gig volumes however, it does add some color and changes how the amp responds to your pick attack.

Starting on the American side, the 6V6 sounds a bit squashed with more low and high end. 6L6 is more open with a little more midrange. Breakup between the two is also different with the 6V6 getting nasty pretty fast. 6L6 is smoother, especially for bluesy leads.

Moving on to the British side, the EL84 is quite glassy beating out the American side by a large margin. Definitely the go for a fender clean sound. The EL34 setting is like a happy medium between the 6L6 and EL84; it's full with a balanced amount of brightness. Breakup is also very different between the two. The EL84 can get pretty snarly while the EL34 fattens up.
I've got a lot to learn.

mchad

gumtown

It does look special

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumbo

Maybe, but if you've got time enough on your hands to stuff around with 27 controls, you should go back to flying planes 'coz one day, COVID will be gone and you'll be able to earn more than a musician... :-*

...maybe, just maybe, stuffing around with 27 controls won't actually make you a better musician.
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

admin

Mono FX Loop
Mono Headphone out

::)

SteveO

( . )( . )

I ordered a Nextone Special from Sweetwater today. It is back-ordered until January.

As I have a DRRI, Silver Jubilee, 1965 Princeton, Mesa Rectoverb 25, 1961 Bassman, and a Katana Head, I should be able to see how it compares.

I'll post a review once I've put it through its paces.

Jarrett

I just picked up a floor model Nextone Artist from my local Sam Ash yesterday.  Upon getting it home, I started noticing that the amp was popping when I touched the screw holding the pickup that was currently selected.  I tried swapping pickup selection, changing guitars, instrument cables, power cables, tried different outlets, etc. all with the same result.  I looked on the back of the amp and there is no ground switch.

Has anyone had something like this happen before and if so, what was the fix?

admin

Review all pages here

Fix your Audio Ground Loop Buzzes and Noises
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2078.0

Guitar Wiring - Tame Static Noise and Hum with Foil Shielding
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6807.0