KATANA- NICKO453's - KATANAMAN PRO EDITOR (Android)

Started by Nicko453, September 19, 2018, 03:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicko453

Quote from: Erjimipey on November 06, 2018, 12:47:19 PM
Hey Nicko, I am using a lot the parametric EQ effect lately when I have the chance to hook Fx Floorboard to my Katana. Do you think you can implement it on your app?

I'll look at adding this as the next effect I build.

Nicko453

Version Update

Sorry for the tardiness ... I have attached the latest version here. No huge differences from before, but it does include the functionality to support rudimentary set lists.

In order to create and manage set lists you will probably need to use an android file manager app (there are heaps of free ones available) to create directories, and use a PC to create text files (eg using Windows NotePad).

I use an Android file manager to create a sub-folder under the Katana directory to hold the set lists (I called mine SetLists   ;) ).  The app now supports navigation up & down a folder structure to help keep things organised.

Important All patches which are going to be referenced by set lists must reside in a SharedPatches folder, directly under the Katana folder, so that the app knows where to find them.

The set list is a simple text file which contains a record specifying the Set List title/name/description (or whatever you want to display), followed by a series of records with the format "song description/title/whatever , patchname" . Note: the file is essentially a CSV file - so don't put commas in any of your descriptions !!

The set list file name must have a ".ksl" extension. Patches all have a ".kat" extension.

So a simple set list file (mySetList.ksl) might look like:

SetListName, My Set List for a club gig (Nov 2018)
song description  ,   patchname.kat
-- Set 1  --------------------,dummy.kat
You Cant Do That (G),CleanBlues1.kat
I Only Want To Be With You (F),CleanBlues2.kat
Trickle Trickle (C),Clean.kat
Stray Cat Strut (Cm),StrayCatStrut.kat
Smooth Operator (Dm),Clean-Chorus.kat
Brass in Pocket (A),BrassInPocket.kat

I add dummy songs call "Set 1 -------", or whatever, to help me easily see where the set breaks are when on stage. Here are some notes on how it works:

1) The app shows set lists files enclosed within '> <' like this >set list name< so that you can easily see which are your set list files.

2) When you open a set list file, the app 'translates' the record and just shows you the list of songs, it does not show the patch name.

3) The app checks to see if the specified patch file exists for each song. If it doesn't exist (ie not in the SharedPatches folder) the song name has "!!!" prepended (is that a word ?) to it. This way you can easily see if there are any flaws in your set list (eg misspelled patch names)

4) The tag SetListName must appear in the first record otherwise the app will throw an error (need to change that behaviour at some stage !)

5) You can have multiple songs referencing the same patch. That way, if you need to adjust the patch you only need to tweak the one patch sound, and all songs that use that patch will use the new settings.

If you try this feature, I will be very interested to hear your feedback, suggestions etc

I have spent the last few weeks working on integration with Google Drive for patch sharing/back up (I'm terrified of losing all of my patch files!!), and a set list management tool. More on these later, but I am now focusing back on core Katana functionality. Not sure how much I will get done over the next month or so 'cos things are really busy at this time of year - plus we have been gigging every week for the last four weeks - phew !

I've pushed the version number up to 20 in order to avoid confusion with the pre-existing version numbers out there - but might need to rethink the approach on that.

I'm still getting some issues where some effects (especially Chorus for some reason) don't turn off when you change to a different patch. That bug is definitely at the top of my todo list.

Cheers,
Nick

Erjimipey

Great, Will definitely try the new functionality and will report back! Thanks for all your work!

ucnick

Howdy, another Nick here  ;D, I downloaded and installed v2.6 of the Android editor on my Galaxy S3 (running Android 8.0.0) using a cheapo OTG adapter with the tablet, and it works MUCH better than the earlier version I tried, definitely digging it, however, the Delay/FX button does not cycle through RYG when pressed, whereas the Boost/Mod and Reverb buttons cycle just fine. Tried it on Panel and CH1 preset. Am I overlooking something, or perhaps doing something stupid? I seem to excel at that sometimes.  :P Appreciate the help. Thanks!

Nicko453

Quote from: ucnick on November 12, 2018, 09:23:46 AM
.... , the Delay/FX button does not cycle through RYG when pressed, whereas the Boost/Mod and Reverb buttons cycle just fine. Tried it on Panel and CH1 preset. Am I overlooking something, or perhaps doing something stupid?

I'll check it out and get back to you.

N

lawngnomekiller

Just found your app, I love it. I installed version 20.8 on my Voyager 7 tablet to use with my Katana 50. I'm using a generic otg cable that I got on amazon. So far it works great. Sure makes amp setting less of a chore.

Thanks for your hard work.

Chuck

lawngnomekiller

I've been trying this out. I made a cool Acoustic Sim patch with flanger and Hall echo and clean boost. Sounded great, so I saved it. I now have 2 patches saved, so I loaded the first and all was good. Then I reloaded the Acoustic patch and the volume is gone. What should I check? I want to use the setlist functionality with this patch.
Also, is it possible to load to channel a and channel b? would be great if I could have two sounds and use the footswitch. I want to use acoustic patch and fuzz back and forth for Wind Up by Jethro Tull.
Will this work with the new 3.0 software on the katana 50 next month, or will there be some downtime?
Thanks
Chuck

Nicko453

Quote from: lawngnomekiller on November 24, 2018, 04:41:23 AM
I've been trying this out. I made a cool Acoustic Sim patch with flanger and Hall echo and clean boost. Sounded great, so I saved it. I now have 2 patches saved, so I loaded the first and all was good. Then I reloaded the Acoustic patch and the volume is gone. What should I check? I want to use the setlist functionality with this patch.
Also, is it possible to load to channel a and channel b? would be great if I could have two sounds and use the footswitch. I want to use acoustic patch and fuzz back and forth for Wind Up by Jethro Tull.
Will this work with the new 3.0 software on the katana 50 next month, or will there be some downtime?
Thanks
Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Sorry to be so slow responding - I've been putting in some long days & nights - both playing and working on this app.

I'll try to answer your questions. First off, I don't know much about the Katana 50, and can't comment on the version 3 software, other than to say that if it is adding new features, it is unlikely to break compatibility with the app - it probably means that the new feature just won't be available through the app.

With regards, to your problem with losing volume with the patch ... there is a problem that I am still working on whereby if you create a 'tone' using your amp (ie physically twiddling the knobs), even though the app sees all of your settings, it does not save them into the patch file for some reason. However, if you create exactly the same tone using the app sliders, and save the patch all seems to work fine !! It's going to take me a bit more effort to fix this.

One thing you could try with your soundless patch is to check each of Reverb, Delay, and Boost and make sure that they all have reasonable Direct Mix and Effects Levels set. Manually adjusting these via the app. Alternatively, recreate the sound you want using the app, save patch, and then use the app to load the patch to the amp.

With your question about saving to the preset channels - you should be able to load your patch to the amp and then manually save it to the preset slot by pressing and holding the relevant 'channel' button (CH1 or CH2). Then, assuming that you have a foot switch you can switch between these two.

Hope this helps, and I'll try to find and fix the patch bug ASAP.

Cheers,
Nick

Nicko453

Quote from: ucnick on November 12, 2018, 09:23:46 AM
Howdy, another Nick here  ;D, I downloaded and installed v2.6 of the Android editor on my Galaxy S3 (running Android 8.0.0) using a cheapo OTG adapter with the tablet, and it works MUCH better than the earlier version I tried, definitely digging it, however, the Delay/FX button does not cycle through RYG when pressed, whereas the Boost/Mod and Reverb buttons cycle just fine. Tried it on Panel and CH1 preset. Am I overlooking something, or perhaps doing something stupid? I seem to excel at that sometimes.  :P Appreciate the help. Thanks!

Hi Nick,

The Boost/Mod and Delay/FX buttons only cycle through the colours if you have some level set on them (ie if they are set to 0 they don't cycle). Reverb cycles regardless of the level set. I know this is quirky behaviour, and I'll probably get round to fixing it at some point, but it shouldn't affect functionality. BTW the above is true whether you press the physical amp buttons, or the app 'soft' buttons.

Cheers,
Nick

Nicko453

Just an update on progress on the app. I've managed to spend a few days working on it over the last week and have made the following progress:
- improved reliability of amp connectivity - especially recovering from a disconnection
- added global EQ functionality
- fix a bug which affecting loading patches to the amp (some effects were incorrectly being left turned on)
- added an 'LED' connection status indicator/monitor
- improved 'set list' usability, including set list numbering
- added the ability to 'tweak' and save a patch directly from 'set list' mode - great when you are working through a set in the practice studio and you just want to tweak a level in a patch (You really can't do that with Boss Tone Studio - trust me I've tried - unless you have extraordinary patience and dexterity !!)

I have also validated the app against different devices, and different Android versions - unbelievable how much variation there is between the various permutations! Just finished validating against Android 8.1 - and found things that worked fine in all versions since 5.0 - now don't work the same - managed to fix it though. :)

(I'm building quite a collection of different Android devices now !)

I also have the separate 'Set List' management app, and the data backup/restore app just about finished.

I'm going to try and get the Parametric EQ module built this weekend, and hope to publish the new version of the app next week.

I will be putting the next version on Google Play Store - in two versions - Lite and Pro. The Lite version will have all of the basic features, but only a limited number of effect modules. The Pro version will have all of the effect modules developed so far, plus the status monitoring, set list functionality, Global EQ etc.

Once I get that out of the way, I'll start progressively adding some more of the Version 2 features (eg Delay2, new effects and delay type), S/R position etc.

My focus to date has been to get the app to be more usable in a real life environment - I've now used it very successfully for at least 6 full gigs, and am happy that it is a very practical tool.

Now I have more time, I'm back to adding more of the 'technical' features to expand capabilities of the app.

The only major outstanding bug that I'm aware off is the problem of not correctly storing a patch that is loaded in from the amp (as opposed to being created in the app). I'll try and work on that this weekend too.

N

Erjimipey

That sounds awesome, mate. I think it is fair to develop a Pro Version, I'll buy it!

What about TSL files integration? I think a lot of users will value the capability of using the very good patches that the Katana community is constantly producing...

Cheers

Nicko453

Quote from: Erjimipey on December 12, 2018, 04:45:40 AM
What about TSL files integration? I think a lot of users will value the capability of using the very good patches that the Katana community is constantly producing...

Cheers

Yeah - good point ! I'll move that up my list of things to do. I may implement it as a separate app - at least initially.  It could read a TSL file and place the individual converted patches into the Katana folder so that the app can see them. Hmmm ....

N

lawngnomekiller

Hey Nick - Thanks for getting back to me. I look forward to the new version. I will definitely be upgrading to the Pro version when it is available. Your work rocks. It appears that the Katana 50 uses the same upgrade firmware as the other versions. I saw on a forum somewhere that somebody did a bit-comparison between files and they were identical. Keep up the great work and I will keep testing.

Thanks again,
Chuck
LawnGnomeKiller

Nicko453

I have looked further into the issue of the patch loaded from the amp not being saved correctly in the app, and I now realise that the app is currently not capable of processing this patch 'dump' from the amp. I have some ideas as to how to get this working, but it will be a significant (but important) enhancement (now high up on the 'todo' list !).

Good news is that I have completed work on the ParametricEQ module and it will be included in the next version - Lite & Pro.

I am on track to have everything ready to go to Google Play Store early next week. I have set up a web site to help with support & help type issues.

Just planning now to test the latest version against all of the hardware/android versions I can get my hands on.

Cheers,
N

Nicko453

So, after four busy days I have now got the app and its 'companion' apps onto Google Play Store <phew !> - I really underestimated the work involved. The web site is still sparsely populated, but at least there's some basic info there now - and I can expand on it over the next week or so.

The app has been renamed KatanaMan (as in Katana Manager). It is available in three flavours - two paid, one free. Of the paid versions (Pro & Lite) Pro has full features, and Lite has fewer effects enabled and is missing some of the new features like connection status monitoring, GlobalEQ etc. The Free version is significantly restricted (only two boost types, and two effects) - but I wanted people to be able to check out the connectivity with their amp for free.

The two companion apps are KatanaSets (set list creation, editing etc) and KatanaSync (backup and restore of all KatanaMan data).

Of the two, KatanaSync is the most relevant for anyone who is creating and tweaking a significant number of apps. I have been using these apps, in their prototype form, for several weeks now. When I have been rehearsing with a band (twice a week these days), and creating patches, tweaking levels song-by-song, I'm always worried that I might lose all of that data (or even the whole device !). The thought of recreating the 90+ patches that I have (I couldn't believe I had that many until I just counted them !)  is too daunting to contemplate. Anyway, at the end of each session I use KatanaSync to quickly make a backup and push it up to Google Drive - only takes a couple of clicks. Sorry - this is starting to sound like an 'infommercial'  :-\    It is also very handy to be able to easily pull all of that data down to a new device - I think I worry too much, but I'm always fearful of turning up at a gig and finding that my tablet has bricked (or more likely these days, that I've left it at home)!!. So to be able to pull out my phone, pull down the data from Google Drive, fire up the app and be back in action gives me a sense of security !

This whole publishing business has been a steep learning experience for me, and I'm sure there are things that I could have done better -  if you do decide to download any of the apps, I would be very interested in your constructive feedback.

I might need a couple of days R&R (my wife has hardly seen me for weeks !!) and then I'll get stuck in to some of the planned enhancements.

Cheers,
N

vtgearhead

Looks nice, Nicko!  Just in time for a major firmware update that will send you back to coding :-).

ATONESIR

Nicko, thanks for the hard work. Will be buying the premium app to support your great work. Too bad a certain company didn't just make a nice app themselves....  *cough*boss*cough*

What does the roadmap look like in terms of features, and will they be included as updates on the paid app?

vit3k

Are delays and reverbs supported? They're not mentioned in description.

admin

Quote from: vit3k on December 19, 2018, 01:13:53 AM

see screen grab in 1st post
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24647.0

admin

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.eatonplan.katanaman.pro&hl=en
KatanaMan Pro

KatanaMan connects to your Boss Katana guitar amplifier via a USB cable. It allows direct control of many of the amp's extensive features. Amp models, boost types, effects devices as well as basic amp controls can be selected and set from your device (phone or tablet) to create your desired tone.

Tones can be saved on your device as 'patches' for later use, and subsequently re-loaded into the amp with ease. The number of patches that can be saved on your device is limited only by the available storage.

Katana amplifier settings can be 'tweaked' and saved 'on the fly' making KatanaMan an ideal tool for the home guitarist, as well as practice sessions, studio work, on-stage performances etc.

SetLists of songs can be loaded which will ensure that the correct patch is loaded for each song as you progress through performance.

Connection Requirements:
In order to connect your phone or tablet to your Katana amplifier you will require:
- A Katana 100 amplifier (Katana 50 will also work but some features may not be available)
- A USB cable suited to your amplifier. See your amp's documentation for details.
- An OTG cable adapter (assuming that your phone / tablet has a mini USB socket)
- Your Android device must support OTG / 'Host Mode'

Not all Android devices are capable of talking to the Katana amplifier.

It is recommended that you use the KatanaMan Free version ensure that your device is suitable (see below for instructions on connecting to your amp)

Features

Supported boost types:
All Katana boost types are supported

Supported effects:
Chorus, Tremolo, Flanger, AutoWah, PedalWah, Compressor, GraphicEQ, ParametricEQ, SlowGear, Octave, Tremolo, Uni-V, Acoustic Guitar Sim, TWah, Limiter, Phaser, Rotary, Slicer, Vibrato, RingMod

(Support for more Katana effects are progressively being developed and will be included in future version upgrades.)

General Amp Settings
Noise Gate, and GlobalEQ, connection status light

Patches
The ability to save the current tone as a named patch. Patches can subsequently be re-loaded to your amp simply by tapping on the patch file. Patches can also be saved into the amp's 'Tone Setting Channels' by long pressing the appropriate physical button on the amp.

SetLists
SetLists of songs, in order of performance, can be created - with each song 'linked' to the associated patch. As each song title in the list is tapped the corresponding patch is loaded into the amp.

Related Apps
There are two apps which are designed to work with KatanaMan - KatanaSets for setlist management and KatanaSync for data back-up and restore.

Tips For Connecting to your Katana amplifier

Be prepared to do a little experimentation to find the approach that best works for your specific device. Follow these stepsto simplify establishing a connection.

1.Ensure that your OTG cable adapter works with your device. Using the OTG adapter, connect a USB memory stick to your device and ensure that it is recognised by Android, and that you can view the contents.
2.Download and install KatanaMan.
3.Ensure that KatanaMan is not running - ie not simply 'minimised', but stopped using the 'X' icon in the top right of the app window. (If in doubt - re-start your device).
4.Connect the Katana amp to your device, using the appropriate cable (and OTG adapter if required), and turn the amp on.
5.Wait for a few seconds.
6.Android should prompt you as to what you want to happen with the USB connection. Choose to load KatanaMan, and select this as the default option if given the opportunity.
7.KatanaMan should then load and automatically connect to the amplifier. This can take up to a minute - but usually occurs within 20 seconds. You will know when the connection is successful as the sliders on the amp view in the app will jump up from the 0 position to represent whatever the current knob positions are on your amp.
8.After this, KatanaMan should automatically load and connect each time you plug in the cable from the amp.

admin

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.eatonplan.setman&hl=en
KatanaSets

KatanaSets is designed for performing musicians who use the KatanaMan Pro app, and who use Setlists to support their performance.

KatanaSets makes creating and managing Setists easy - using a drag and drop approach - and they are immediately available to KatanaMan Pro.

Whilst KatanaMan is great for capturing your creative tones as a patch, if you are a performing musician, when on stage you really need to work with a Setlist (ie a list of songs in the order they are to be performed) rather than an un-ordered collection of patches (tones).

With KatanaSets you can create and re-order setlists by simply dragging and dropping tiles (songs). Copy setlists to create different setlists for different gigs.

Once created and saved from KatanaSets, the setlist is immediately available to KatanaMan.

FEATURES

The heart of KatanaSets is one or more master song list(s) which you create.

The master song list (MSL) is a list of all of the songs in your repertoire and the associated KatanaMan patch used for that song.

Setlists are built by dragging songs from the MSL into the setlist. Songs within a set list can be re-ordered by dragging and dropping in the new position. Songs can be removed from the setlist by dragging them away from the list.

KatanaSets can automatically :
- apply formatting to sets,
- highlight any songs entries where the associated patch does not actually exist (oops!)
- include set break markers/headings so that you can easily see where one set ends and another starts
- apply set numbering to the songs - restarting after each set break so that you can quickly see how many songs are in each set (numbering can be saved so that it is visible in KatanaMan)
- copy/clone setlists
- use multiple MSL files if, for example, you work with more that one collection of songs - or you perform with two or more different groups.

admin

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.eatonplan.katanasync&hl=en

KatanaSync

After you have spent hours finely crafting your KatanaMan patches to capture that perfect sound, and/or have created setlists ready for your next performance, it makes sense to have a backup copy of this valuable data.

Don't be deceived by its simple interface, KatanaSync makes it quick and easy to make a complete backup of your KatanaMan data. With one click, the app will create a compressed (zipped), time stamped copy of your data. It will then ask you if you want to copy the back-up file to Google Drive (requires a Google account). This mode of operation is called "BackUp Mode".

If you have multiple devices and want to ensure you have a stand-by for your next performance in case your primary device is unavailable (lost, stolen, broken .... or ooops! left it at home), you can restore your most recent back-up from Google drive (or USB / SD card) onto a new device in seconds. By putting KatanaSync into "Restore Mode", it will restore either a local copy of the back-up file (eg from USB/SD), or copy it down from Google Drive first before uncompressing and re-creating your KatanaMan folders and files - good to go !.

(Beware : This is a very powerful capability - be careful not to restore over the top of any folders you want to keep !)

admin

Quote from: admin on December 19, 2018, 04:13:40 PM
https://eatonplan.wixsite.com/katanaman

Support Forum
https://eatonplan.wixsite.com/katanaman/forum

https://eatonplan.wixsite.com/katanaman/forum/katanaman/katanaman-pro-is-there-a-method-to-assign-a-folder-on-my-internal-sd-card-storage-area-to-store-katanaman-patch-data-using-lg-v20

-------
QuoteHi Steve,
KatanaMan creates it's 'home' folder in the root of the 'Download' folder on your device. It also creates a 'SharedPatches' folder in it's 'home' directory (ie ../Download/KatanaMan/SharedPatches). You can use any file manager to create other (sub)folders you may require. Within KatanaMan you can navigate through a folder hierachy, and save your patches in any folder you wish.

When using the 'SetList' functionality, KatanaMan always looks for the patch related to a song, in the SharedPatches folder. However, if you are simply loading patch files (ie not using set lists), you can load/save them in any sub folder.

If you connect your Android device to a PC say, you can use a file explorer to access your patch folders/files.

At this point, KatanaMan does not permit you to navigate "above" (ie out of) the KatanaMan home folder.

So all KatanaMan patch storage must occur on internal Flash memory

Nicko453

Quote from: vit3k on December 19, 2018, 01:13:53 AM

Yes - KatanaMan supports all of the Reverb and Delay types and parameters.

Cheers,
N