GR-55 - Capo?

Started by TayzGpa, November 04, 2018, 01:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TayzGpa

Is it possible to emulate a capo using the GR55? Have tried the Alt Tuning but doesnt work.  Thanks.

RedSand

I am sure you could do it, by going to the "User" setting for tuning and saving it there. You just need to do the math, by how many semi-tones you would need to change the normal tuning. Each step is one semitone, but I am sure you know that already. Each semi-tone basically would be one movement on the frets with the capo. Hope that works for you.

mooncaine

It only works if you're using a GK-compatible pickup. Are you?

TayzGpa

DreamTheory

It works. You may need to use hearphones to block the string sound in the room. Lots of open tuning patches available on the exchange. Don't forget to try baritone guitar, totally new experience. I made a ukulele tuning- with palm mute and nylon model, you can get surprisingly close.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

kenact

Quote from: TayzGpa on November 04, 2018, 01:53:32 PM
Is it possible to emulate a capo using the GR55? Have tried the Alt Tuning but doesnt work.  Thanks.

Just to be clear, it does work, but only on the signal from the hex pickup. It doesn't do anything to the signal from the standard pickups.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

TayzGpa

So are you guys using the Alternate tuning section (I'm using Floorboard) and changing it there?

DreamTheory

Either the floorboard or the physical controls work. Everyone except me seems to prefer the floorboard software. I think floorboard is brilliant, but I don't mind dialing right into the unit, so for me it's simpler to do that.  Either way is the same.

Edit > navigate over to the model and hit Enter > scroll down to line to adjust pitch > dial in + or minus value. Each number = one half step or fret, just like a capo.

It gets better. You can go into negative values. Or set values individually per string.

Note: if you engage 12 String mode, the Alt tuning is not possible, you must do either one or the other. But you can tweak the detune of the secondary strings.

You can adjust pitch on PCM tones too.

If you are still stuck or this is unclear, ask again and I'll try again.

It's all in the manual, which you can download from Roland. Read "top things to know" on this site.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

TayzGpa

Super! Thank you very much. I was trying to do it in the wrong place.

mooncaine

Isn't it great? Glad you got it working!

Regarding Dream_Theory's warning about being unable to use 12-string with an alt tuning: such a bummer. I rely on that feature on the VG-99, esp. with non-guitar-like sounds.

TayzGpa

Well, I guess I'm just not getting it.  I tried what has been suggested but it still is not working for me.
I have attached 2 mp3 files.  WithCapo is straight guitar with a capo on fret 2.  When I play an open G (at fret 5) it sounds fine.
WithoutCapo is how it sounds if I removed the capo, use the GR55, change the pitch to +2 and play an open G at fret 5.
It does the same thing if I go into Master/Alternate Tuning/Alt Tune and change it there.

DreamTheory

Re: mooncaine,

"Regarding Dream_Theory's warning about being unable to use 12-string with an alt tuning: such a bummer. I rely on that feature on the VG-99, esp. with non-guitar-like sounds."

Workaround- Use Alt Tuning and add in a low volume, high octave PCM sound to create 12 string (ish) patch. Not gonna sound anything like a real 12 string, but might be interesting.

DreamTheory

Quote from: TayzGpa on August 05, 2019, 12:06:14 PM
WithoutCapo is how it sounds if I removed the capo, use the GR55, change the pitch to +2 and play an open G at fret 5.
It does the same thing if I go into Master/Alternate Tuning/Alt Tune and change it there.

That sounds odd. Did you silence the Normal Pickups? Press Edit, navigate to the square box to the left of the normal PU and use the Enter key to "uncheck" it. If there is a PCM tone enabled, be sure to tune it the same as the Model.

TayzGpa

Yes, normal pickup is disabled and there are no pcm synths enabled.
I can tell no difference between using Alt Tuning under Master setting and changing the pitch step under modeling.
Neither sounds correct if I remove the physical capo.

Again, if I put the capo on fret 2 and play an open G at fret 5 it sounds fine (as if I am playing an "A" cord at fret 5).
Remove the capo, adjust the pitch step to +2 (under Modeling), play an open G at fret 5 it sounds terrible.
I'll keep playing around with it but I don't hold much hope.

admin

Use headphones on GR-55 only
Make a recording  - no mics, only GR-55 output direct

Many get confused because the un-amplified normal string vibrations emit a conflicting pitch

For all DSP generated Alt Tuned systems ( Variax, Antares ATG, VG-99, GP-10, GR-55, etc) 
Must use a speaker which is played loud   - to overwhelm and drown out the un-amplified normal string vibrations

DreamTheory

Quote from: TayzGpa on August 07, 2019, 12:06:29 PM

, play an open G at fret 5 it sounds terrible.
I'll keep playing around with it but I don't hold much hope.
Wait a minute I think I know what's going on here. You don't have to play that G chord on the 5th fret. The magic of the alternate tuning is that your nut is now the equivalent of that Capo. If you play the G chord in the first position and compare it to a tuner or a piano or some other source you will see that it is now playing an A chord because you raised it plus 2. It's working and you didn't even realize it. Try strumming a chord and spinning the jog wheel to change the pitch and you will actually hear it raising in real time.

PS, don't give up. There is an answer. If this isn't it,   then you're one step closer. Often time solutions only look simple after they are found.

TayzGpa

Yes, that indeed is what's happening. Awesome.
Thanks so much for your tips.