GT1000 version of my talk box patch

Started by Smash, September 11, 2018, 11:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

Rebuilt this from vg99 to gt1000 and added some stuff - extra growl

--
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bossgt1000/permalink/330627417690828/
Heal Talk Box patch

NOTE: I think I saved the patch in auto mode (by mistake) - use CTL1 to switch to manual and back.

This is my attempt at recreating the classic Heil Talk Box (hence the play on words name!). The video starts with bridge humbucker and the second part uses Strat bridge and neck.

CAVEATS - this patch needs to go through a FULL RANGE SPEAKER. The real thing uses a compression driver with frequency response up to 18khz - way beyond an amp speaker range. And whilst your mouth will damp the top end some of it still gets through. you really need up to 8/9khz as far as I can tell. Remember the mouthed sound was piped straight into full range PA.

USAGE:

CTRL1 - switches between manual and auto mode.

In manual mode use EXP1 to fully control the vowel sounds

Auto mode cycles through the sweet spot based on the BPM

CTL2 - tap tempo for auto mode

Auto mode actually works really, really well for playing solos and I wish I had programmed it before doing the video for some bits. It's not good for chords - manual mode is best here and of course for ultimate Joe Walsh stuff (I'm not mentioning Bon Jovi!) manual is king.

About the patch: I'm using EXP1 to control the manual setting in the Humanizer which allows you to sweep from vowel 1 to vowel 2 and any point in between. I've chosen vowels U and A after a lot of experimenting. You'll see that the depth control is 0 - this lets us use the manual control to do the sweep without the GT interfering.

I've used a relatively clean amp and stuck a full range distortion in front (X Dist) becasue we want those top end frequencies.

Next point the talk box has no low end to speak of - nothing below about 1khz. I did try cutting this high but it didn't sound as good to my ears so I've gone at 500hz but used 2 low cuts in succesion as the Boss are filters are very gentle.

On the cab out although I've used a speaker - the smallest available 8" - I've stuck a lot of direct in. Again it's about getting that full range.

I've used top cuts at around 8khz and again stacked them because of the gentleness of the BOSS roll offs. I've also homed in on some pesky ear bleed/harsh frequencies and you'll see some dramatic cuts in the EQ

The final special ingredient is a Flanger which i'm using as a comb filter. It's in a set position - so zero rate - I've tuned the manual control to give extra "growl" and blended it in. It does add a nice something - try turning it on and off to see what it does.

Auto mode is achieved using the wave pedal feature in control assigns - the speed is set to a division of the set bpm. You'll see I've set the range in a narrow area around the low mid sweep of the Harmonizer manual control - this was just what sounded good to my ear. I used a Sine wave rather than triangle wave cycle sweep as it sounded more real to me.

I've stuck very little verb on the patch because every talk box I've heard has been largely bone dry.

That's it - complicated explanation for simple patch - enjoy!

As ever, tweak as required

Demo video:

Brak(E)man

Sounds great, I never wanted a talk box until now.
To much dental work required afterwards
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Smash

Brak(E)man

One of the big disadvantages with severe hyperacusis ,
is there's no way to numb the pain, apart from going under :-Z
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

roachone

D28boy

mchad

ricmus

Hello,

very nice patch. I think I am going to play Bom Jovi with it.

Best wishes.

alexmcginness

Holy freakin sh.... seems I said that before about this patch. When this was first done for the 99 I was blown away.   Nice work!
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Smash

TubeGuy

Quote from: Smash on September 11, 2018, 11:50:22 PMRebuilt this from vg99 to gt1000 and added some stuff - extra growl

--
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bossgt1000/permalink/330627417690828/
Heal Talk Box patch

Sadly, this Facebook group no longer responds to join requests (I've been trying for 3 weeks). Any chance of posting a link to your patch here? Thanks