Kill Switch for a GK system?

Started by gron, July 01, 2018, 12:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gron

I'm soon to install an internal GK bass Kit into a Reverend Wattplower Bass.

I'm thinking it would be neat to have a kill switch installed - to kill all signals, GK and mags simultaneously from output.

Is this viable/easy/crazy?

I'm capable of doing the installation just fine (at least I've done it before) but my electronics experience is pretty much limited to soldering and following instructions.

FWIW I'm actually looking to not have any other switches or buttons on there asides from the existing guitar knobs. I will have the bass permanently in GK+mags mode and trade in the mags tone knob for the GK volume essentially locking the tone at 100%.

thanks
Reverend Wattplower Frankenbass with internal custom 4-string GK-3B + killswitch
Fender Jaguar Frankenbass, StatusGraphite neck, Graphtec ghost bridge+ built in iphone
Boss SY-1000 :: Kemper Rack  :: Roland VB-99 (+RMC subfilter)  :: Sansamp Rack  ::  BillBaxBreakout  :: FC-300 :: Roland MX-1 + Mor

cags12

You could wire the GK switch in such way that when pulling a push/pull DPDT switch it selects "mag only" in one of the poles. While on the other pole you can short the magnetic signal to ground effectively muting all sound. You could also disconnect power for the GK but I anticipate pop's in the audio when reconnecting.

I am pretty sure other might be able to suggest something better.

mooncaine

Give this question a few days or a week, so that experienced members here will have a chance to see it. Their advice might prevent you from killing an expensive piece of kit. Maybe there's no danger, but if you don't know, then let's see what the veterans can tell us before you start work on it.

gumtown

If you are using the GR-55 with it, the generic GR-55 setup leaves the "Guitar" (or bass in this case) position of the GK switch as a mute.

I use the GK Volume as my master volume, so turning it down kills all outputs.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Quote from: gron on July 01, 2018, 12:58:16 PM
I'm soon to install an internal GK bass Kit into a Reverend Wattplower Bass.

I'm thinking it would be neat to have a kill switch installed - to kill all signals, GK and mags simultaneously from output.

Is this viable/easy/crazy?

I'm capable of doing the installation just fine (at least I've done it before) but my electronics experience is pretty much limited to soldering and following instructions.

FWIW I'm actually looking to not have any other switches or buttons on there asides from the existing guitar knobs. I will have the bass permanently in GK+mags mode and trade in the mags tone knob for the GK volume essentially locking the tone at 100%.

thanks

get a Double Pole Normally Open Momentary switch

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-AC-125V-3A-8mm-DPDT-2NO-2NC-6-Pin-Momentary-Push-Button-Switch-/321514614931?hash=item4adbc3b093
wire it with each separate center pole of the Double Pole Normally Open Momentary switch connected to each side of the  GK/Mix/Synth three way (On)-Off-(On) switch on Internal GK-KIT-GT3  and tie the two  "Normally Open" connections on Double Pole Normally Open Momentary switch to Ground  = a momentary kill switch for James Honeyman Scott  / Steve Stevens stutter action

gron

Thanks everyone for the great responses! :)

And Elantric, thanks for the ebay link. I've been digging about to see if I can match those specs on a button that suits the bass design better and may offer a better-streamlined experience when in use for speedy push/release stutters. This is the closest I've come up with ...

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Waterproof-Momentary-Stainless-Recognized/dp/B06XR81XGL/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9Z9M1TMFV6BYHNJ8TPDD&dpID=41sVECL%252BvLL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

The illuminating factor is unnecessary but you tell me if the variance in voltage and amps would still be compatible for the project or if I risk tearing the fabric of space-time or somesuch? :-\

Reverend Wattplower Frankenbass with internal custom 4-string GK-3B + killswitch
Fender Jaguar Frankenbass, StatusGraphite neck, Graphtec ghost bridge+ built in iphone
Boss SY-1000 :: Kemper Rack  :: Roland VB-99 (+RMC subfilter)  :: Sansamp Rack  ::  BillBaxBreakout  :: FC-300 :: Roland MX-1 + Mor

admin

Quote from: gron on July 05, 2018, 10:35:36 AM
Thanks everyone for the great responses! :)

And Elantric, thanks for the ebay link. I've been digging about to see if I can match those specs on a button that suits the bass design better and may offer a better-streamlined experience when in use for speedy push/release stutters. This is the closest I've come up with ...

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Waterproof-Momentary-Stainless-Recognized/dp/B06XR81XGL/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9Z9M1TMFV6BYHNJ8TPDD&dpID=41sVECL%252BvLL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

The illuminating factor is unnecessary but you tell me if the variance in voltage and amps would still be compatible for the project or if I risk tearing the fabric of space-time or somesuch? :-\

That AMAZON switch should be OK  - a bit large at nearly 21.8mm ( nearly 7/8" )

gron

Quote from: admin on July 05, 2018, 10:42:01 AM
That ebay switch should be OK  - a bit large at nearly 21.8mm ( nearly 7/8" )

Cheers Elantric!

Yep, not little @ 22mm but it works for me!

admin

Quote from: gron on July 05, 2018, 12:46:29 PM
Cheers.

I believe you mean the amazon one, not the ebay one (which was originally from Elantric).

EBAY VERSION
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC24V-Red-LED-Light-22mm-Thread-Dia-6Pin-DPST-NO-NC-Momentary-Push-Button-Switch/322254329562

gumbo

Quote from: gron on July 05, 2018, 12:46:29 PM
Cheers.

I believe you mean the amazon one, not the ebay one (which was originally from Elantric).

FWIW, admin / Elantric = same person.... ;)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

gron

Thanks Elantric and everyone else for the help. Am pleased to report this mission was a success!  :)

It turned out just great (and I am pleased with the size of the button).
I did a few other unusual things with the install, no switch between Hex/mags/both, just both all the time.

Completely replaced the plug with the 13pin socket.
Double stacked volume pots for one master volume.
And no select up/down switch.

This is all in keeping with how I've used my other hex bass over the last few years so I've done away with the stuff I don't use.

This image also features a 3D printed a cover for my trimmed down GK-Kit3B pickup I just shared here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2617.msg176888#msg176888

gumtown

Looks nice how the chopped down GK-3B and new cover looks like a Jazz styled pickup.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

HecticArt

Nice work!

The Wattplower looks awesome. It's great to see Reverend represented.

gron

Yep, I'm incredibly impressed by the playability of the Wattplower.

gearhound22

Hi all!

Working on a project guitar and saw this thread

I was hoping to use a single killswitch for both electric guitar signal and the GK output. (I will be using the regular guitar output not via the GK )
For guitar short signal to ground on one contact no worries....
For the GK....I have an internal kit.
I didn't really plan on using the S1/S2 buttons in this guitar or the synth/mix/guitar switch...just the synth vol
Would I be able to use the same Killswitch to kill the GK output? I'm assuming wiring it somehow to switch between synth/mix & guitar would do the trick

https://www.ebay.com/p/Dc24v-Red-LED-Light-22mm-Thread-Dia-6pin-DPST-No-nc-Momentary-Push-Button-Switch/1083480090?iid=322254329562

gearhound22

Quote from: Elantric on July 01, 2018, 08:53:17 PM
get a Double Pole Normally Open Momentary switch

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-AC-125V-3A-8mm-DPDT-2NO-2NC-6-Pin-Momentary-Push-Button-Switch-/321514614931?hash=item4adbc3b093
wire it with each separate center pole of the Double Pole Normally Open Momentary switch connected to each side of the  GK/Mix/Synth three way (On)-Off-(On) switch on Internal GK-KIT-GT3  and tie the two  "Normally Open" connections on Double Pole Normally Open Momentary switch to Ground  = a momentary kill switch for James Honeyman Scott  / Steve Stevens stutter action

Once i get my sustainiac sorted was looking to do this too :)
Will this method kill the guitar sound on the 1/4" output too or only the GK 13pin?

admin

Quote from: gearhound22 on January 31, 2020, 07:28:32 PM
Once i get my sustainiac sorted was looking to do this too :)
Will this method kill the guitar sound on the 1/4" output too or only the GK 13pin?

^ That momentary kill switch implementation above would only impact the GK 13 pin signals- and not the 1/4" output

But it can be adapted as desired

Below is the schematic for my preferred GK-KIT-GT3 implementation  - which is clone of Fender GC-1 wiring , which isolates and removes the entire GK preamp out of the Normal Guitar circuit anytime the 1/4" Guitar Output jack is occupied with a normal 1/"4  guitar cable. 

gearhound22

Quote from: admin on January 31, 2020, 09:23:01 PM
^ That momentary kill switch implementation above would only impact the GK 13 pin signals- and not the 1/4" output

But it can be adapted as desired

Below is the schematic for my preferred GK-KIT-GT3 implementation  - which is clone of Fender GC-1 wiring , which isolates and removes the entire GK preamp out of the Normal Guitar circuit anytime the 1/4" Guitar Output jack is occupied with a normal 1/"4  guitar cable. 

I know for doing mag killswitch its just using a NO and shorting the hot to ground if I wanted to kill the GK synth sound would it be possible with the other no/nc contact?
The GK 3 way switch is kinda funky how it does the selection on how to kill the synth only

admin

Quote from: gearhound22 on January 31, 2020, 11:28:35 PM
I know for doing mag killswitch its just using a NO and shorting the hot to ground if I wanted to kill the GK synth sound would it be possible with the other no/nc contact?
The GK 3 way switch is kinda funky how it does the selection on how to kill the synth only

Sure  - put the Normally Open Momentary Kill Switch on the SY Vol Pot output ( GK Pin 8 ) signal to Ground

gearhound22

plexified

This place is insane !!! Thank you Elantric, You know I've been listening to a lot of Buckethead and this is next level.

Let me recap here.

So far, the forum has not only led me to a live looping solo gig for fun, but an entire film production support studio and a drone. Now, I was installing a GK onboard kit, learned about the sustainiac and that was just over the top. Then I wanted a kill switch and thought, no, your pushing it too far , NO!!!! Now you just magically answered my question. This is just off the chain. I'll share the results in time here. I designed and built a guitar as a result of this forum. And the next incarnation is fretless, I can't even play this stuff yet. YET. I mean for real, you have expanded my brain, let alone my music aptitude. Its blowing my mind every day, I cannot keep up at this point !!! simply amazing. Thank you Elantric !

admin

Quote from: plexified on February 01, 2020, 10:41:06 PM
This place is insane !!! Thank you Elantric, You know I've been listening to a lot of Buckethead and this is next level.

Let me recap here.

So far, the forum has not only led me to a live looping solo gig for fun, but an entire film production support studio and a drone. Now, I was installing a GK onboard kit, learned about the sustainiac and that was just over the top. Then I wanted a kill switch and thought, no, your pushing it too far , NO!!!! Now you just magically answered my question. This is just off the chain. I'll share the results in time here. I designed and built a guitar as a result of this forum. And the next incarnation is fretless, I can't even play this stuff yet. YET. I mean for real, you have expanded my brain, let alone my music aptitude. Its blowing my mind every day, I cannot keep up at this point !!! simply amazing. Thank you Elantric !

You welcome -

I have a brain possessing much GK 13 pin Knowledge that simply desires to be set free and shared with the world!

gearhound22

Quote from: gron on September 25, 2018, 07:41:12 PM

Question for admin/Elantic!

I have a very similar (if not the same killswitch) as the above.

What would be the chances of using the wiring from the GK red light to power the killswitch led?

Some killswitches say 24v some say 9v (9v battery did light mine up)...just don't want smoke!

As far as my guitar goes....I hope to post some pictures very soon! Still have some strange things with it (working better now!)

admin

Quote from: gearhound22 on February 14, 2020, 01:37:35 AM
Question for admin/Elantic!

I have a very similar (if not the same killswitch) as the above.

What would be the chances of using the wiring from the GK red light to power the killswitch led?

Some killswitches say 24v some say 9v (9v battery did light mine up)...just don't want smoke!

As far as my guitar goes....I hope to post some pictures very soon! Still have some strange things with it (working better now!)

^ not recommended  = and I know of no "kill switch that requires 24V
Killswitches work on the normal guitar audio signal path and the 0-5 VDC control voltage of the GK Volume audio signal on Pin #8

Since the DPST Kill Switch is a Normally Open Momentary switch and is not active until held down, who needs an LED?

I dont install the GK LED  -neither Fender GC1 or Godin RMC guitar implement this) and your suggestion  will not work in practice unless you get a custom three pole momentary switch to add another leg just for the LED on/off.

what third party Kill Switch uses 24 Volts? - perhaps you are mistaking for the Ace Frehley Rocket launcher circuit

gearhound22

Hi Admin,

I set mine up to short the guitar signal to ground on one NO contact and then to short the white wire on the GK volume to ground on another NO.

Here was one I got that says 24V
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Momentary-Metal-Push-Button-Switch-22mm-Mounting-Dia-DPDT-2NO-2NC-24V-Blue-LED/323745300898?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Heres another that mentions 24V (but in a picture it mentions 12V)
https://www.amazon.com/Momentary-URTONE-Stainless-Suitable-Mounting/dp/B077PHGXZR?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2

I got 3 switches to try for size but settled on this one in the end for size and feel but it doesn't mention a voltage for this one but when I very briefly put 9V on it illuminated
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06XR81XGL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With the Led I'd just leave it powered all the time, I wouldn't use the contacts with it, I don't use the Roland GK red light but thought this could be a cool way to use it! (As long as I don't fry it!)