Using the SuperEgo+ as a Hot-Rodded MIDI Sustain Pedal

Started by Rhcole, June 24, 2018, 04:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

This technique uses MIDI Guitar 2 to output guitar MIDI data. It shouldn't work, but instead it works great and is very powerful.
The star of this technique is not the SE+, but instead MG2. MG2 has the ability to make surprisingly intelligent decisions about what is a trustworthy note, and what isn't. Generally speaking, if it doesn't know what to play, it plays nothing- as long as you have turned the sensitivity down far enough to eliminate spurious triggers. And it latches quickly onto new notes with chord and key changes. It's very clever.

In practice: you run the guitar into the SE+, with all FX OFF, thank you. You set the SE+ at a desirable blend and sustain level, or you hook up the Exp pedal and really go to town. Patch this into a device running MG2.
Don't run your guitar through your device (iPad, etc.), use it only for synths. Split the guitar into the SY-300 or some other pedal.
When you play synths with the SE+ engaged, it can give you sustain pedal effects or even infinite sustain. And you can set it for anything in-between.
It really works GREAT.

In fact, this is far superior to actual MIDI sus pedals I have used with the GR-55, Axon, etc. in the past. And that is because it isn't either on or off. It can handle a range of settings well.

Limitations: Obviously, this could be odd with really fast lead playing. Remember, MG2 introduces latency and so does the SE+. So if you need really fast notes, make sure to blend in the unaltered guitar in the SE+.

Man alive, though, for textural ambient tone colors or whatever, this is the BOMB.
Your ol' buddy RHC recommends that you check it out.

carlb

Was hoping the MG2 was a box, but I see it's a laptop with a plugin. Darn. I just don't want a laptop built into my gig-rig.

"Dammit Jim! I'm just a country doctor!"
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

admin

Quote from: carlb on July 04, 2018, 10:26:56 AM
Was hoping the MG2 was a box, but I see it's a laptop with a plugin. Darn. I just don't want a laptop built into my gig-rig.

"Dammit Jim! I'm just a country doctor!"

That why i use the iPad /iPhone version

carlb

OK, have an iPad I take to gigs for iRealbook or iGigPro+ or whatever those chord chart apps are ...

Uses Bluetooth? Otherwise guessing I'd have to unplug the GP-10 from the MIDX-20, and there would go the foot controller in my rig. Or get a compact A/D converter?

Can you point me to thread or threads that discuss the hardware setup for for doing this? Needs a A/D somewhere and thinking take iPad headphones out into the aux in on the GP-10?
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Rhcole

Not very complicated. You use an audio interface through the Lightening connector (camera adapter) with a guitar in. For volume etc. controls use MIDI or just outboard pedals.

iPads have plenty of horsepower and sound great.

Rhcole

CarlB, you could even run the guitar out of the GP-10 into this. It whoops butt on the Osc synth.

admin

Quote from: carlb on July 04, 2018, 11:35:29 AM
OK, have an iPad I take to gigs for iRealbook or iGigPro+ or whatever those chord chart apps are ...

Uses Bluetooth? Otherwise guessing I'd have to unplug the GP-10 from the MIDX-20, and there would go the foot controller in my rig. Or get a compact A/D converter?

Can you point me to thread or threads that discuss the hardware setup for for doing this? Needs a A/D somewhere and thinking take iPad headphones out into the aux in on the GP-10?

IOS Audio / MIDI I/O
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=212.0

IOS: Connecting USB Class Compliant MIDI / Audio (Battery Power)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9581.0