Boss WL Series Wireless Instrument Audio

Started by admin, June 15, 2018, 05:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

https://www.boss.info/us/categories/wireless/

Enjoy Pro Tone with Zero Hassle Using BOSS's New "Virtual Cable" Technology

Equipped with lightning-fast wireless technology newly developed by BOSS, the WL series delivers premium audio performance with ultra-low latency and rock-solid stability. Providing a plug-and-play experience with no aggravation or guesswork, the WL series makes it easy for players to bring wireless freedom to home, rehearsal, and small stage rigs.

Find more information at:

WL-20/WL-20L Wireless Freedom Made Easy

WL-50 Wireless Freedom for Pedalboard
https://www.boss.info/global/products/wl-50/

WL-T Wireless Transmitter
https://www.boss.info/global/products/wl-t/

http://SPARE TRANSMITTER FOR THE WL SERIES AND KATANA-AIR
The WL-T Wireless Transmitter is compatible with WL-series wireless systems and the Katana-Air wireless guitar amp, providing a spare to use if your original transmitter is lost or damaged. When pre-charged, it also functions as a backup transmitter for live performances. To charge the WL-T's built-in battery and establish a connection to your BOSS wireless receiver, simply follow the same procedures used with the original transmitter included with your system.

The WL-T works with the following BOSS wireless products:
WL-20, WL-20L, WL-50 and KATANA-AIR[

WIRELESS FREEDOM MADE EASY
Have you always dreamed about going wireless with your instrument, but were put off by the complicated setup, tone loss, and bulky adds-ons? If so, the WL-20 series is for you! Driven by new lightning-fast BOSS tech, these ultra-compact music tools deliver premium sound and plug-and-play operation that completely eliminates all the hassles normally associated with wireless systems.

Once you experience the easy wireless independence provided by the WL-20 series, you'll never go back to using a standard cable again! With no worries about cable management, you're able to move about freely while playing at home, jamming with friends, and performing on stage. During sound check at a gig, you can listen to your tone out front and dial in the best sound for your audience. And with the ability to roam and interact with other musicians, your live shows will be more dynamic and entertaining than ever.

WL-20/WL-20LFeatures   

SPECIFICATIONS (RECEIVER)
Wireless Format BOSS proprietary digital audio format
Wireless carrier frequency2.4 GHz Compatible Channels14
(May vary due to local conditions)
Transmission Range50 feet line-of-sight
(May vary due to local conditions)
Latency2.3 ms
Dynamic Range110 dB or greater
Frequency Response20 Hz--20 kHz
Nominal Output Level-10 dBu
Output Impedance 1 k ohm
Recommended Load Impedance 10 k ohms or greater
Indicators POWER RECEIVE

Connectors
Output plug: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
TRANSMITTER jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
DC IN 5 V port: USB Micro-B type
Power Supply Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Supplied from the DC IN 5 V port
Current Draw During wireless operation: 60 mA  While charging: 500mA
Battery charging time Charging only the receiver: Approximately 3 hours
Charging simultaneously with the transmitter: Approximately 4 hours

Expected battery life under continuous use
  Approximately 10 hours
* These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.

Accessories
Owner's Manual
Leaflet USING THE UNIT SAFELY

Transmitter
Micro USB cable for charging (*1)
*1: Use a standard USB AC adaptor (5 V/over 0.5 A) for charging.

SIZE AND WEIGHT(RECEIVER)
Width87 mm 3-7/16 inches
Depth25 mm 1 inches
Height38 mm1-1/2 inches
Weight 60 g  3 oz

SPECIFICATIONS (TRANSMITTER (WL-T))
Nominal Input Level-10 dBu (1 M ohm)
Indicator BATTERY
Connectors
Input plug: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
DC IN 5 V port: USB Micro-B type
Power Supply Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Supplied from the DC IN 5 V port
Current Draw 350mA
Battery charging time Approximately 3 hours
Expected battery life under continuous use Approximately 12 hours
* These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.

SIZE AND WEIGHT (TRANSMITTER (WL-T))
Width87 mm 3-7/16 inches

Depth22 mm 7/8 inches
Height36 mm 1-7/16 inches

Weight  43 g 2 oz

* 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms*The specifications are subject to change without notice.

--

https://www.boss.info/us/products/wl-50/
Plug-and-play wireless system in a stompbox-size format for pedalboards
Optimum wireless connection set automatically, with no complicated setup required
Newly developed BOSS technology delivers premium audio performance with rock-solid stability, ultra-low latency (2.3 ms), and 65-foot/20-meter range (line-of-sight propagation)*
Built-in rechargeable battery in transmitter provides up to 12 hours of continuous playing time
Plug the transmitter into the receiver's docking port for charging and automatic wireless setup**
Selectable cable tone simulation options: short, long, and bypass
Receiver powered by optional PSA-S adaptor or two AA batteries
With PSA-S adaptor power, the receiver's DC output can distribute power to one or more pedals using an optional PCS-20A daisy-chain cable
Spare WL-T Transmitter available separately

* The transmission range may vary due to local conditions.
** To charge the transmitter, the receiver must be powered via a BOSS PSA-S adaptor. It's also possible to directly charge the transmitter with a standard USB adaptor (5 V/500 mA or higher).
Lightning-Fast BOSS Wireless Technology
Equipped with high-performance BOSS wireless technology that debuted in the Katana-Air wireless guitar amp, the WL-50 delivers exceptional sound quality with wide dynamic range. Working in the 2.4 GHz frequency band, the system automatically accesses the optimum channel to ensure rock-solid audio performance with absolutely no drop-outs. And with ultra-low latency of just 2.3 ms, you'll always enjoy great playing feel with no lag whatsoever. Up to 14 BOSS wireless systems can be used simultaneously in one space, allowing multiple musicians to enjoy wireless freedom at the same time.*

*Environmental conditions may affect the actual number of simultaneous systems available.

Just Another Pedal on Your Board
The WL-50 has a slightly smaller footprint than a standard BOSS compact pedal and can be powered just like your other stomps, making it an easy addition to any pedalboard setup. Simply place it at the beginning of your chain and connect the receiver's output to the first pedal. The receiver is also equipped with a regular ¼-inch input jack, so you can always use a traditional guitar cable in a pinch.

Integrated Transmitter Dock
The WL-50 features a built-in dock that's used to charge the transmitter and establish the wireless connection. The system's streamlined profile is maintained even when the transmitter is docked, with a total height that's about the same as a normal BOSS stomp.

Plug In and Rock
Once you've installed the WL-50 on your board and charged the transmitter, it's literally as simple to use as a standard guitar cable. Just dock the transmitter in the receiver, wait about 10 seconds, and then plug the transmitter into your instrument. That's it! The optimum wireless connection is set automatically during docking, with no other user operation required.

Cable Tone Simulation
The WL-50 includes two selectable cable tone simulation options that reproduce the natural capacitive effect that's introduced when using a guitar cable with standard passive pickups. You can also bypass the effect when cable tone simulation is not desirable, such as when using an acoustic/electric guitar with an onboard preamp or an instrument with active pickups.

Pedal Power Distribution
When the receiver is powered via a BOSS PSA-S adaptor, it becomes a power distribution center for other stomps on your board. By using an optional PCS-20A daisy-chain cable, you're able to power a number of BOSS compact pedals at the same time.

Battery-Powered Operation for Mobile Gigging
At street gigs and other mobile performance situations, running your pedals on battery power is often the best choice. The WL-50 receiver can run for up to ten hours on two AA batteries, allowing you to take your wireless setup with you! While running on battery power, the receiver is unable to charge the transmitter. But don't worry—you can still charge it using a common USB adaptor (5 V/500 mA or higher), the same type used with most smartphones and tablets.

BladesToyShop

What I would love to see is a GK-13 version of this technology, but in the 5GHz Wi-Fi band, rather than where it currently is.

mooncaine

Seriously.

admin

Elantric

pasha811

I am new to wireless audio.
I have gone through the website for both WL20 and WL50 but I still got a question that sure gurus her can answer.
Although the WL series has been thought to be used from Guitar to AMP or Guitar to Pedal Chain, can it be used from VG99 / GP10 to PA or to powered speakers?

Thanks a lot
Cheers
Pasha
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

mooncaine

Good question! As a guitar player, I often forget that some of my gear puts out, or is capable of putting out, a line level signal instead of an instrument level signal.
I'd be curious to know the answer to your question, too.

On a related note, I recently got an Eventide H9 (birthday gift from family contributions -- yay!) and I really, really wanted to explore it and play through in the house... but my bedroom guitar gear doesn't have effect loop inserts. I was lucky that the pedal will put out whatever signal you need to drive my nice headphones. It does! I use an adapter cord to combine the L and R outputs into a single stereo 1/4" jack. Lush stereo sound, plenty of loudness. I didn't expect it to work. It could be because the Eventide pedal does something special to adapt to the output level my headphones need. I admit I'm still unclear about how that works.

Shingles

Quote from:  mooncaine on August 26, 2018, 11:26:51 AM
On a related note, I recently got an Eventide H9 (birthday gift from family contributions -- yay!) and I really, really wanted to explore it and play through in the house... but my bedroom guitar gear doesn't have effect loop inserts. I was lucky that the pedal will put out whatever signal you need to drive my nice headphones. It does! I use an adapter cord to combine the L and R outputs into a single stereo 1/4" jack. Lush stereo sound, plenty of loudness. I didn't expect it to work. It could be because the Eventide pedal does something special to adapt to the output level my headphones need. I admit I'm still unclear about how that works.

Speaking as an electronics engineer, this depends as much on the headphones as it does on the output stages in the H9.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

pasha811

Quote from:  mooncaine on August 26, 2018, 11:26:51 AM
Good question! As a guitar player, I often forget that some of my gear puts out, or is capable of putting out, a line level signal instead of an instrument level signal.
I'd be curious to know the answer to your question, too.

I feed the VG99 output or GP10 output into a Mixer so that I have speakers connected there and I can use headphones as well (from the mixer), while using the AUX to send line signal to Audio Card into Ableton Live. If the WL20/50 could let me go wireless from VG99 / GP10 to mixer or directly to Behringer Powered Speakers that would be great. As it's described it looks like the Transmitter expects a Guitar output while the Receiver can go into a pedal chain or an Amp. The line outputs from VG99 or GP10 can be the weak point in the chain as if the transmitter expects for a guitar output and gets a line it won't work or it can be distorted. Maybe a DI Box could help here? I simply do not know but it's intriguing because it's the cables between your GK Gear and the mixer / PA  that you might want to get rid of! :-)

admin

Seek a  wireless system which supports transmit / receive of analog Line Level signals

Need to review each systems specifications for the unit under review's allowable signal level range.

Bulk of wireless instrument systems only support -20dB instrument level signals

the Boss WL-50 is capable of working with -10dBu audio signals - so should work with the 1/4" -10dB output level on GP-10 / GR-55 / VG-99

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/best-wireless-systems-guitar/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/971482-REG/teachlogic_ar_960d_airlink_router_system.html

pasha811

Quote from:  admin on August 27, 2018, 09:28:04 AM
Seek a  wireless system which supports transmit / receive of analog Line Level signals

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/971482-REG/teachlogic_ar_960d_airlink_router_system.html

Thanks. So that's end of my hopes with WL series used a little out of scope I suppose.  ;D

cags12

The Line 6 Relay G10 will partially allow you to do this. It does take instrument level input (you can conf the GP10) on the transmitter side and the receiver has two outputs, Instrument level 1/4" and a separate XLR Line Level.

gumtown

If you are DIY handy (and budget conscious), these stereo wireless modules could be an answer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4G-NRF24L01-Wireless-Digital-Audio-Transceiver-Module/111415944025

or these
https://www.tomtop.com/p-c4355us.html?currency=NZD&Warehouse=CN&aid=gplanzcd&mid=10000016504&utm_source=SEM&utm_medium=Google+PLA&utm_campaign=TT_PLA_NZ_CD&utm_content=3707&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyND_46-O3QIVTq6WCh1S_wXmEAQYASABEgIB0fD_BwE

otherwise search for wireless stereo extender, but avoid the Bluetooth variety, good old analog VHF/UHF is getting hard to find.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27424996/

MBENIGNI Review

QuoteSpeaking of rolls of the device: I replaced my G10 wireless with a Boss WL-20 to better suit this whole minimalist vibe, and can report: unless you are obsessed with form-factor, you don't want to do the same. I never had them side by side, but I'm pretty confident the G10 sounded much better than the WL-20 - stronger output, better clarity. I never noticed any compromise going from cable to G10, but I absolutely do when I plug in the WL-20. Live and learn.

cags12

Quote from: Elantric on November 01, 2018, 07:35:00 AM
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27424996/

MBENIGNI Review

I was just researching days ago about the same and found some reviews that the G10 sounds way better. I myself do not notice the difference of using a cable and the G10. Hopefully L6 will release a v2 of the G10 with minimal footprint.

Beirne

Quote from: admin on June 22, 2018, 12:18:15 PM

Use one of these right angle adapters if you play a JazzMaster

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/252320-REG/Hosa_Technology_GPP_151_GPP151_Angled_Male_Phone.html
That jack adapter doesn't hold the plug on the wireless tight enough to keep the tiny power switch bump engaged.
www.intangiblesny.com
www.facebook.com/intangiblesband

admin

https://www.boss.info/us/products/wl-60/

WIRELESS FREEDOM, EASY VISUAL SET UP
Offering great tone, ultra-low latency, and effortless set up, BOSS's revolutionary WL series has made it easier than ever for musicians to go wireless. The WL-60 system is a great fit for serious stage performers, bridging plug-and-play simplicity with fast user-guided control. The compact receiver is tailor-made for pedalboards, and features a large visual display and direct-access buttons to quickly scan and select the best wireless channel. Rounding out the system is a rugged bodypack transmitter, which is compatible with nearly any instrument and runs for up to 25 hours on regular alkaline batteries.

Premium audio performance with lightning-fast BOSS wireless technology
Automatic 14-channel scanning makes set up quick and uncomplicated
Large LCD shows channel status, wireless strength, battery life, and more
Stompbox-size receiver fits easily on your pedalboard
Bodypack transmitter works with nearly any instrument and runs for up to 25 hours on two AA alkaline batteries
Transmission range: 20 meters/65 feet line of sight (may vary due to local conditions)
Short high-quality cable included for connecting the transmitter to a guitar or bass
Receiver powered by AC adaptor or two AA alkaline batteries
Convenient DC output on receiver for powering other pedals (when using AC adaptor)
Instrument input for using a standard cable without removing the receiver from a pedalboard
Included WL-60T Transmitter also available separately for backup and outfitting additional stage instruments
Lightning-Fast BOSS Wireless Performance
Equipped with BOSS's acclaimed high-performance wireless technology, the WL-60 delivers exceptional sound quality with wide dynamic range. The system provides rock-solid audio performance with absolutely no drop-outs, while class-leading low latency of just 2.3 ms delivers great playing feel with no lag whatsoever. Up to 14 WL series systems can be used simultaneously in one space, allowing multiple musicians to enjoy wireless freedom at the same time.*

*Environmental conditions may affect the actual number of simultaneous systems available.

Visual Feedback Puts You in Control
With the WL-60's automatic scanning feature and informative display, the channel-selection process is virtually effortless, eliminating the complicated procedures required with other systems. All 14 channels are shown at one time during the scan process, giving you a complete overview of the current wireless conditions. This makes it simple to optimize performance for any stage situation, ensuring that you always have the very best tone. And when one or more bandmates are also using WL-60 systems, it's quick and easy to assign each one to its own unique channel.

Ready to Play in Seconds
Using the receiver's large LCD and dedicated panel buttons, setting up the WL-60 to play is amazingly fast and efficient. Simply press the Scan button, then wait for a moment as the 14 wireless channels are automatically scanned and the clearest are indicated. Next, select the desired channel on the receiver, power on the transmitter and match the channel, and then you're ready to rock! In addition to making set up a breeze, the WL-60's LCD also provides constant visual feedback on channel selection, wireless strength, and other parameters.

Rugged Bodypack Transmitter Works with Any Guitar or Bass
Compact, lightweight, and durable, the included WL-60T Transmitter mounts easily on your belt or instrument strap. Up to 25 hours of runtime is provided with two alkaline AA batteries, which can be swapped out in seconds during the heat of a gig. Using the display and selector buttons, you're able to adjust the operation channel from your playing position. And since the WL-60T connects to your instrument via a short standard cable (included), it works with nearly any guitar or bass. It's also possible to purchase additional WL-60T units for backup or outfitting multiple stage instruments

Just Another Pedal on Your Board
The receiver in the WL-60 system is the same size as a standard BOSS compact pedal and can be powered just like your other stomps, making it an easy addition to any pedalboard setup. Simply place it at the beginning of your chain and connect the receiver's output to the first pedal. And thanks to the regular ¼-inch input jack, you can always connect via a traditional guitar cable when needed without having to re-patch or remove the receiver from your board.

Cable Tone Simulation
The WL-60 includes two selectable cable tone simulation options that reproduce the natural capacitive effect that's introduced when using a guitar cable with standard passive pickups. You can also bypass the effect when cable tone simulation is not desirable, such as when using an acoustic/electric guitar with an onboard preamp or an instrument with active pickups.

Pedal Power Distribution
When the WL-60 receiver is powered via a BOSS PSA-S adaptor, it becomes a power distribution center for other stomps on your board. By using an optional PCS-20A daisy-chain cable, you're able to power a number of BOSS compact pedals at the same time.

Battery-Powered Operation for Mobile Gigging
When performing on the street or playing gigs that require quick set up and teardown, running your pedals on battery power is often the best way to fly. The WL-60 lets you go wireless as well, with the receiver providing clear, cable-free operation for up to ten hours on two AA alkaline batteries.