GT-1000 - Report Bugs Here

Started by Danelectro, June 08, 2018, 10:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danelectro

GT-1000 - I discovered a firmware bug with the CURNUM feature

I'm not sure who to report this to, so I thought I'd start here.

I've been going bonkers trying to change the LED colors on my GT-1000.  The LEDs would change to colors other than what I had set them to, or else they would just go out and I couldn't get them on again.  After a couple hours of futzing with the unit, I'm pretty certain that its due to a firmware bug. 

First, let me describe what I set out to accomplish.  On my old GT-100 I had the system setting "curnum" set to "A/B SOLO", such that pressing the active patch switch a second time would turn on the SOLO function of the current amp.  I've found this to be a useful feature for boosting the volume when needed without engaging an overdrive pedal.   

On the GT-1000, the curnum setting can be set to either "AMP-1 SOLO" or "AMP-2 SOLO", but not both amps as it was on the GT-100.  No big deal, I would primarily use it on AMP-1 anyway.  The GT-1000 does not give a visual indication when the SOLO feature is engaged as the GT-100 did, but I recalled reading a post that said you can have the LED change color when the CURNUM is active.  Perfect!  I figured I'd make the active patch LED white, and then have it change to red when I press the switch a second time to activate the SOLO boost. 

I set curnum to AMP-1 SOLO and checked to verify the it kicked the SOLO switch on and off on AMP1, which it did.

Here's where things got really screwy.  Just to test the dual color LED idea, I set the LEDs for button "1" to change from white to red.  It worked as expected, but the setting wasn't retained unless I saved the patch after setting the colors.  This was strange because buttons 1-5 are set to SYSTEM not PATCH.  I then realized that buttons 2-4 no longer illuminated when I pressed them or else they changed to random colors.  Even though the LEDs for buttons 1-5 were set to AUTO BLUE, the LEDs were either off, or a random color. 

I spent a couple hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong and I was beginning to think that I was just an idiot, until I changed the CURNUM setting to a different effect (TUNER), and all of the sudden buttons 1-5 came back to their normal blue color when pressed.  I started testing the other options for the CURNUM setting and I've found that when various effects are selected, the LEDs for buttons 1-5 either turn off, or they may change to a random color.  For instance, if I set CURNUM to NS1, buttons 1-5 all change to green (even though they're set to AUTO BLUE).  If I set it to DS2, they all change to orange.   

Before I discovered that CURNUM was the source of the problem, I tried many steps just trying to get buttons 1-5 back to the default blue color, including reverting the firmware from 1.11 to 1.10 (and then back again). 

Anyway, could somebody else check this out on their unit to see if they can duplicate the problem?  It should be as simple as setting CURNUM to AMP-1 SOLO, and then cycle through buttons 1-5 to see if the LED colors are screwed up.  As I mentioned its not just AMP-1 SOLO, the majority of the CURNUM settings on my unit will either change the colors of the LEDs, or shut them off altogether.   I would like to know if the problem can be duplicated, because if not, my GT may be screwed up.

Thanks!

-   Dan
===

Okay, this is really driving me nuts, and I'm convinced that either there's a firmware flaw in the way the LED colors are set, or else my GT-1000 is defective.  Can somebody with a GT-1000 please check to see if your unit reacts the same way as my unit does?  To start out with, here is the way my unit is configured:

- The bottom row of buttons are programmed to select patches 1 thru 5, and the color of each button is set to "AUTO (BLUE)".   When patch 1 is selected, its LED is blue and the other patches 2-4 are not illuminated.  If I select patch 2, its LED illuminates in blue and all the other bottom row LEDs are out. I don't recall for certain, but I believe this is the factory configuration.

- I want to program the patch select buttons such that when the current patch button is pressed a second time, it activates the solo boost on the amp model.  This is the same way that I've had my GT-100 programmed for years.  When I set "CUR NUM" to "AMP-1 SOLO" at the "SYSTEM" level, the desired functionality is achieved (SOLO boost is activated when the current patch is selected a second time), however the blue LED that indicates the active patch is no longer illuminated.  Not only that, but the LEDs will not illuminate for any of the other 499 patches on the unit.  The only indication you have of the current patch number is the LCD display.

Here you can see that the #2 LED is no longer illuminated. The LEDS for buttons 1, 3, 4, and 5 no longer illuminate either when they're pressed.

I want the CUR NUM set to AMP-1 SOLO at the SYSTEM level so that it activates the solo on any patch I create.  Just to see what would happen, I tried setting it at the PATCH level.  I found that this disables the LED for that patch only, however since the boost function is something I would want built into every patch I use, the same problem of not having an LED indicator of the active patch would still exist.  I've tried numerous different LED settings, such as specifying specific colors rather than using the AUTO setting, but the functionality is illogical in any configuration. 

I can't imagine any reason why this would be intended functionality.  It makes no sense, and it renders the unit difficult to use.

Actually, being able to activate the solo boost is only half of what I had hoped to accomplish.  Unlike the GT-100 (and even the GT-10), the GT-1000 does not give any visual indication whatsoever that the SOLO BOOST is active. Since its possible to program two different LED colors for the ON and OFF states of each button, I thought that a clever solution would be to set the current patch LED to BLUE when the patch is activated, and then when the button is selected a second time to activate the BOOST, the LED would change to RED. I tried numerous ways to accomplish this, but unfortunately its not possible. 

I've had my GT-1000 for several months now, and I think it sounds fantastic.  The tones are way better than the GT-100, as well as the Helix in my opinion, however I'm still not using it in a live situation because I haven't figured out a way to get it configured iin a way that I can see and know what's going on when I'm pressing buttons.  For a live situation, the LCD doesn't give you any information other than the patch name and number.  If the LEDs don't illuminate either, then its going to be very easy to end up on the wrong patch or effect in the middle of a performance.       

On a related subject, something that really hate about the GT-1000 interface is that the CTL buttons are located on the top row.  On certain songs, I have patches that require toggling a CTL button on and off up to 10 or 15 times over the course of the song.  On every other pedalboard I've owned, the control button was on the bottom row, which means that I can keep my heel planted on the floor and toggle the button on and off without looking at it.  With the GT-1000, I must hover my toe over the CTL button while standing on one foot and watch what I'm doing so that I don't hit the wrong button.  Its not possible to flip-flop the functions of the top and bottom rows, so my solution is to add an FS-6 switch for the CTL functions, which sucks because I'd rather have just the pedalboard on the floor and not worry having a battery-powered footswitch dangling off to the side..  This problem could easily be solved by allowing the user to program the top row of buttons to be patches 1-5.     

It seems that Boss put a lot of effort into improving the tones of the GT-1000, but very little attention was given to the user interface, which in many respects is less intuitive than the GT-100.  The Helix has a rather incredible user interface, and considering its been out for several years for Boss to do competitive evaluation, I'm surprised that they missed the mark by so far.  Its been over 6 years since the GT-100 was introduced , so they had plenty of time to plan out how the next gen unit would function.  I think its a shame that it wasn't better thought out.  Hopefully bugs will be ironed out and features improved upon, however over a six year span of the GT-100, there was only one semi-significant firmware enhancement, so I'm not going to hold my breath.  With competitors like Helix who sponsor a user forum, they listen to their customers, and they make regular and significant firmware enhancements, Boss really needs to step it up if they want to stay in the game.

wilkinsi

I have messed with these settings. You can alter the LED colour for both status ON and OFF of any assigned effect block. If your delay on FS2 is set to auto when on, but set to --- in off mode, those are default settings. If you change BANK UP's ON as RED and leave its OFF as ---, then it will remain off all the time. So I set both ON and OFF for BANK UP as RED, so the LED is on RED all the time. For CT1,2 and 3, I leave the OFF mode as --- (no colour). I have probably worded all that badly. It was my first attempt.

Smash

You can set the bottom row footswitches as ctls no problem in the control assign. Use all 5 if you want. I tend to use the full blown control assign section.

Be aware though that to change patches you then have to use bank buttons to reactivate patch selection or alternatively set ctrl 1 and 2 as patch up/down

Danelectro

Thank you to the Admin for posting this here as a sticky.  Its a good idea to collect bug reports within a single thread that won't drift off the bottom of the list.

Quote from: Smash on September 19, 2018, 10:33:14 PM
You can set the bottom row footswitches as ctls no problem in the control assign. Use all 5 if you want. I tend to use the full blown control assign section.

Be aware though that to change patches you then have to use bank buttons to reactivate patch selection or alternatively set ctrl 1 and 2 as patch up/down

Holy crap!  :D  Thank you for posting about this method of setting up the pedals.  This is a game-changing idea that resolves the problem I had regarding the CTL pedals being on the upper row.  I was unaware the the bottom row of buttons were dual-use and can be used for both patch selection, and stompbox mode.   This opens up an entirely new method of how I will go about setting up my pedalboard.

I had already considered assigning CTL1 and CTL2 to be PATCH UP and PATCH DOWN buttons, which would enable me to use the bottom row for effects selection, but the issue (or what I thought was an issue) is that it would mean a lot of pedal dancing to get to patches (I'll have 40-50 custom patches once I'm fully programmed).  Also I thought it meant that I wouldn't be able to use the "wait" mode to select patches.  I've always used the wait-mode of my GT-100 such that towards the end of a song, I'll navigate through the banks to the patch I need for the upcoming song, then I can select the that patch with a single click as soon as the current song ends.  This wouldn't be possible using just the PATCH UP and PATCH DOWN buttons, but now that I know that I can select patches using the 1-5 buttons (even though they're assigned to CTL functions), this unit has just become way more useful to me.  Thanks again for the tip!  :)

Now that I know I have five CTL buttons available on the bottom row, I'll need to decide upon how best to use them.  The CURNUM feature is no longer available which I intened to use as a solo boost, but I can accomplish the same same action by dedicating a number button to EQ4, which I'll use within each of my patches to bump up the level and mids for about a 3db boost.  That leaves four more buttons, two of which I think I'll dedicate at the system level to DIV1 (amp switch) and a Distortion pedal.  The two remaining buttons will be used for patch-specific effects.

admin

QuoteHere's where things got really screwy.  Just to test the dual color LED idea, I set the LEDs for button "1" to change from white to red.  It worked as expected, but the setting wasn't retained unless I saved the patch after setting the colors.  This was strange because buttons 1-5 are set to SYSTEM not PATCH.  I then realized that buttons 2-4 no longer illuminated when I pressed them or else they changed to random colors.  Even though the LEDs for buttons 1-5 were set to AUTO BLUE, the LEDs were either off, or a random color. 

I just got  a reply from Roland/Boss that they are looking into this

Danelectro

Quote from: admin on September 20, 2018, 09:10:49 AM
I just got  a reply from Roland/Boss that they are looking into this

Awesome!

Although not a bug per se, something Boss really needs to fix is the size of the font for the patch number on the display.  The LCD homepage which displays the functions assigned to each button is the most useful of the four different homepage choices.  The problem is that the patch number and name are in characters measuring 1.5mm tall, which is impossible to see from a standing position with the unit on the floor. 

They characters don't need to be in large-print as they are in the first two screens, but if they were bumped up to be about 4mm or so tall, it would be a huge improvement.  There's plenty of room to shift the button graphics down to make room for larger characters.  Something along the lines of this this...

Current:

Proposed:

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27257566/

QuoteMadala said: ↑
Anyone else having this issue or have a fix for it? Would like to be able to assign different SPEAKER Types to the Main and the Sub and/or be able to change both to a new SP Type. Right now I can only change the SP Type on the Main.

QuoteIt works for me if I set SP Type on the Main Outputs on the Gt 1000 itself.

But the Boss Tone Studio for GT-1000  - has a bug I get what you get in Tone Studio on my Mac

Confirmed - I can change the GT-10000 Sub Speaker type on the device but not with the Boss TOne Studio software. Thanks for pointing that out.

admin

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10217236677898225&set=g.181817955905109&type=1&theater&ifg=1

Bad things with the 1.2 update: happened many times since yesterday, I put my delay, reverb, FX and send/ret between speaker and jack output and all sounds good. Then when I switch off the unit, next time i find things "out of the box" as you can see in the picture. Very disappointed, we need a fix soon.

Quote from: admin on October 03, 2018, 02:07:43 PM
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27257566/

Confirmed - I can change the GT-10000 Sub Speaker type on the device but not with the Boss TOne Studio software. Thanks for pointing that out.

I have contacted Boss US with this "bug" in Boss Tone Studio for GT-1000

Bug Report: Oct 2, 2018 " Can not change the GT-1000 Speaker type on the SUB Output using  Boss Tone Studio for GT-1000"

---
QuoteWe'll check it.

Yoshi
----------
Yoshi Ikegami / BOSS

Dhallowell

I like Reverb after the speaker - and was glad to see I could move it there, between the Main Speaker and the a Main 1/4" outs.  Trouble is, after powering down and restarting  - the reverb has 'disappeared.'   Look in the chain and it's been moved to just AFTER the 1/4" outs - so it's out of the audible chain.
Bad bug.
How do I make sure that Boss engineers note this?

admin

Quote from: Dhallowell on October 15, 2018, 07:54:00 AM
I like Reverb after the speaker - and was glad to see I could move it there, between the Main Speaker and the a Main 1/4" outs.  Trouble is, after powering down and restarting  - the reverb has 'disappeared.'   Look in the chain and it's been moved to just AFTER the 1/4" outs - so it's out of the audible chain.
Bad bug.
How do I make sure that Boss engineers note this?

Use the latest GT-1000 update 1.21 addresses this specific issue

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24477.0

GT-1000- New firmware version V1.21
https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/gt-1000/updates_drivers/ae439604-290c-43a5-8465-fc59acfce18c/

Update history
[ Ver.1.21 ] OCT 2018
Bug Fix
The following bug was fixed.

The effects block placed between MAIN/SUB SP.SIMULATOR block and MAIN/SUB OUT block reverted to previous location when the units's main power was rebooted.

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27596070/
Quote from: alp, post: 27596070, member: 18570Hi all,

Sorry if this has been discussed before but i couldn't find it by myself. I updated to the latest version of all Boss GT-1000, BTS and the USB drivers. The problem is, i can't change the Cab Models on the Sub Outs (XLR) even i selected the AIRD mode to recording. Main outs let me chose whatever cab model i want but subs are locked to my last chosen cab models before the update. Any help will be highly appreciated!

EDIT: I found out that i can change the Cab Model at the Sub Out on the GT-1000 itself but can't change on the BTS, altough when i change the Cab model on the GT-1000, BTS follows the changes but can't change Cab models on the BTS for some reason.
Same here - I believe its a remaining bug in BTS for GT-1000

roachone

It is still a bug in BTS. See Boss is busy updating their $150 amps with no time to mess with this 1k thing..... :o

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27681610/

guitarrob wrote>

One BTS bug I've recently found is this:

When using Boss Tone Studio, in control assign, when I try to assign a momentary switch assignment to one of the upper footswitches, it does not work properly. However, when I make the same assignment directly on the GT-1000 itself, it works fine. Specifically, I was trying to assign a momentary flanger to the bank down switch. Has anybody else experienced this bug/quirk?

Overall, I find Boss Tone Studio also a bit frustrating because it responds so slowly. Hopefully, there will be another update soon.

xuoham

Win7 here.

Yes, i have a similar problem since yesterday, probably after a java kit install, (which i uninstalled since then) and/or windows 7 update.
I made sure Avast antivirus is not blocking BTS and i did a registry cleaning.

BTS loads the patch that was selected on the GT1000 but ignores the assigns though they work on the GT and are correctly displayed.
Also, the editor page stays on the patch even when i change patches on the GT.

Anyway, this BTS is yummy looking, easy to use, but yes, it is sluggish in some ways.

Un-Re-installed BTS, in vain.

Also, it became impossible to save. I get a communication failure message.
:::::::::

xuoham

Problem solved. There was nothing wrong with the BTS software by itself, it's just that the patch i was working on was actually corrupt.
Initializing the slot and recreating the patch from scratch solved the behavior problem.
I didn't think a patch could go corrupt ...
:::::::::

loac

hello all of us,
When copying a patch to another patch, the Led assignation doesn't   follow the patch copied : is it a bug ?
Thanks for your advice

Sinistry

Hi
This could be a bug. Or a big failure from Boss or myself.
The metronome doesnt update with bpm changes. It just defaults to the master bpm set in every patch.

I have set ctl3 to turn The metronome on/off and set cur num to bpm tap.

The metronome starts and stops and I can change bpm value with the button for current patch. But The metronome doesnt follow the bpm changes. It is fixed.

If there is a workaround to get the metronome working then please help.

I tried it on firmware 2.0 as well.

Kind regards

bagers323

Hi guys,

after update to version 3.0.0 or 3.0.1 sending liveset to gt-1000 unit doesnt work. Its freeze.

Danelectro

BUG WITH THE DIVIDER / MIXER

When you set a DIVIDER to DUAL mode with the A/B balance set equally (100:100), there is a significant boost in the overall output volume. 

I discovered this issue when I was experimenting with putting the REVERB and a DELAY in parallel with each other rather than in series.  I inserted a DIVIDER into my chain with the REVERB on the A channel and a DELAY on the B channel.  I set the DIVIDER to DUAL mode, and the MIXER balance was set to 100:100 so that the guitar signal would be split equally between each leg of the DIViDER.  The result is that the overall volume increased a very noticeable amount.  I turned off both the REVERB and DELAY effects, and the volume boost was still present.  I found that even if there are no effects inserted between the DIVIDER and the MIXER, there is a 6dB volume increase. 

I can't imagine that this would be intended functionality.  The volume on the output side (MIXER) should match the volume on the input side (DIVIDER), regardless of the balance setting between A and B.

My workaround was to insert an EQ block after the MIXER and set it to -6dB.  This brought the volume level back to where it was before inserting the DIVIDER, however this step really shouldn't be necessary.

Thegators

Don't know if anyone has posted this before but my gt1000 doesn't seem to have a bluetooth switch to turn on.  I have tried to go to menu and other but in other there is no switch to turn on knob 5 (knob 4 is the last one).  I am updated to latest firmware (3.02) Any ideas anyone?

PAH

Quote from: Danelectro on July 14, 2019, 11:11:14 AM
BUG WITH THE DIVIDER / MIXER

When you set a DIVIDER to DUAL mode with the A/B balance set equally (100:100), there is a significant boost in the overall output volume. 

I discovered this issue when I was experimenting with putting the REVERB and a DELAY in parallel with each other rather than in series.  I inserted a DIVIDER into my chain with the REVERB on the A channel and a DELAY on the B channel.  I set the DIVIDER to DUAL mode, and the MIXER balance was set to 100:100 so that the guitar signal would be split equally between each leg of the DIViDER.  The result is that the overall volume increased a very noticeable amount.  I turned off both the REVERB and DELAY effects, and the volume boost was still present.  I found that even if there are no effects inserted between the DIVIDER and the MIXER, there is a 6dB volume increase. 

I can't imagine that this would be intended functionality.  The volume on the output side (MIXER) should match the volume on the input side (DIVIDER), regardless of the balance setting between A and B.

My workaround was to insert an EQ block after the MIXER and set it to -6dB.  This brought the volume level back to where it was before inserting the DIVIDER, however this step really shouldn't be necessary.

Not a bug at all.  With nothing on either path, your guitar signal splits to both channels unaltered.  Then when the two get mixed together, they are still unaltered.  But that is adding two identical and in phase signals together which will double the amplitude, which is a 6db boost.

PAH

Quote from: Thegators on July 16, 2019, 09:40:25 AM
Don't know if anyone has posted this before but my gt1000 doesn't seem to have a bluetooth switch to turn on.  I have tried to go to menu and other but in other there is no switch to turn on knob 5 (knob 4 is the last one).  I am updated to latest firmware (3.02) Any ideas anyone?

Menu -> Hardware Settings (knob 4) -> Other (knob 6) -> Bluetooth SW (knob 5)

roachone

Quote from: Thegators on July 16, 2019, 09:40:25 AM
What country do you live? In some countries the GT 1000 don't have bluetooth. Sad, but true

micdim

I noticed today that when I'm using the GT-1000 v3 for iPad the Control Mode is greyed out? I can't get it back unless in restart GT-1000 Guitar Processor?

Anyone else having this issue? Any update/fixes

Thx everyone!

sonagiovi

I don't know if this qualifies as a bug and I've found a solution, but on mine, to get delay spillover to work when you turn on the unit, you have to change bank first, then the trails are there on patch changes. Unless you recall another bank and then go back to where you started the spillover won't work.
I'd like to have one thing less to have to think about when using the GTK, such as remembering the last used screen view...  :-\