Helix VDI port to charge Ipad

Started by utensil, May 01, 2018, 08:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

utensil

Enjoying my new helix very much, is an upgrade to the Gp-10 to me as I traded out modeling guitar sounds for easy interface and class compliance and using my iPad for synth sounds.

One irritation is at having to always make sure it's charged. Using the new CCK it can charge at the same time but I want to avoid bulky power strips and was thinking to instead take the 7V power from the VDI and use a buck converter to bring it to 5V and charge the IOS device. This way I only need to connect the single Helix power cable.

Any thoughts or caveats with this line of thinking? (don't want to implode my new helix)

admin

Quote from: utensil on May 01, 2018, 08:16:15 AM
Enjoying my new helix very much, is an upgrade to the Gp-10 to me as I traded out modeling guitar sounds for easy interface and class compliance and using my iPad for synth sounds.

One irritation is at having to always make sure it's charged. Using the new CCK it can charge at the same time but I want to avoid bulky power strips and was thinking to instead take the 7V power from the VDI and use a buck converter to bring it to 5V and charge the IOS device. This way I only need to connect the single Helix power cable.

Any thoughts or caveats with this line of thinking? (don't want to implode my new helix)

Bad idea

The VDI power out has internal overcurrent protection and is a not capable of delivering the 2.1 amp current required to charge an ipad

Helix already is locked to requiring AC Mains power (IEC AC Mains socket 18 inches away from the VDI input jack)

Get a separate USB charger for iPad and save your Helix from repair.