Katana AIR - Stereo, Battery powered, Wireless Instrument connection

Started by gumtown, January 08, 2018, 01:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Quote from: keenblade on August 08, 2018, 10:53:12 AM
I hope katana will sound as good as vox. 

Katana AIR is about 1/2 the decibel output level of ADIO GT

The Fender Mustang GT 40 should be reevaluated when the Firmware 2.0 arrives in October 2018,

keenblade

Quote from: admin
Katana AIR is about 1/2 the decibel output level of ADIO GT
Do you think katana air has enough volume to be heard at the beach?
No life is too small to save.

admin

Quote from:  keenblade on August 08, 2018, 11:00:41 AM
Do you think katana air has enough volume to be heard at the beach?

depends on the size of the waves, and competing noise

If you need high volume  / battery power

look at Roland Cube Street EX - but its WYSIWYG -  no bluetooth / no wireless / no smartphone editor
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11600.0

keenblade

I guess, Roland Cube Street EX is great for big waves and a concert in front of the crowd. But it's heavy (7,4 kg), big and not something I want to carry to a beach with a few friends. Katana air is the winner with the size and weight (2.2 kg). Also the wireless action is a dream for me.

keenblade

Hello. A quick update. Katana air has arrived. I've experimented a bit with it. Here are my first impressions. Tones are nice, convincing. İt is smaller more portable. It is easier to carry around and the handle (and overall) design is better than vox adio gt. It is totally wireless. Just plug in and in 3 seconds you are on air. It is super practical, so no excuse for laziness :)

And I miss somethings about vox adio air gt. Like the really high volume level. As admin said output volume of Katana air is half the level of Adio Gt. It is very quiet and not much use in outdoors with some noise. Vox is a dream like amp for the greatly adjustable both high and low volume levels. Also for katana air, there is no pc software. It has just a phone app using bluetooth connection. Both of them work like charm as a audio interface. I wonder why boss does not adapt the pc software of other katana amp models for katana air.

The bass response is ok for both unit with vox being a bit better. But my IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitör is far more superior about bass (and all frequency) response, reproduction. I think if IK Multimedia makes a guitar amp using their iLoud Micro Monitör as a reference, they will blow out all other amps and brands. Using just my quad-capture audio interface and iLoud Micro Monitör (and some software for amp and effects) it is better than all the mini amps I have ever heard. Also using it with my helix floor or helix native (software helix) it is incredibly fun to play. But it is not as practical as katana and vox. You have to use pc, wait for it to boot, open a DAW or some software, configure them, etc. It takes time.

It is not easy to save and recall a preset for katana air. You use a phone app. Maybe I could not figured how to do it (someone please shed a light on me).  Vox was better with pc software. But both of them need to evolve. Also no bluetooth midi pedal board connectivity is disappointing. To change the tone you have to stop playing and fiddle with some tiny buttons and then finally continue to play. Lol, not good.
So far I am happy to have Katana air for home and outdoor practice. You can't really go wrong with either unit.

As a side not before my vox adio gt got broken, after a few days, it gave signals by increasing the volume one second and then back to normal level with pulses. I thought it was some effect but disabling all effects did not worked. Then last day it start to turn off in a few seconds (15 sec and decreasing) abruptly.  Then total silence has come.

admin

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24060.msg175444#msg175444
keenblade wrote>
Katana AIR Review:

Hello. A quick update. Katana air has arrived. I've experimented a bit with it. Here are my first impressions. Tones are nice, convincing. İt is smaller more portable. It is easier to carry around and the handle (and overall) design is better than vox adio gt. It is totally wireless. Just plug in and in 3 seconds you are on air. It is super practical, so no excuse for laziness :)

And I miss somethings about vox adio air gt. Like the really high volume level. As admin said output volume of Katana air is half the level of Adio Gt. It is very quiet and not much use in outdoors with some noise. Vox is a dream like amp for the greatly adjustable both high and low volume levels. Also for katana air, there is no pc software. It has just a phone app with bluetooth connection issues. Both of them work like charm as a audio interface. I wonder why boss do not adapt the pc software of other katana amp models for katana air.

The bass response is ok for both unit with vox being a bit better. But my IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitör is far more superior about bass (and all frequency) response, reproduction. I think if IK Multimedia makes a guitar amp using their iLoud Micro Monitör as a reference, they will blow out all other amps and brands. Using just my quad-capture audio interface and iLoud Micro Monitör (and some software for amp and effects) it is better than all the mini amps I have ever heard. Also using it with my helix floor or helix native (software helix) it is incredibly fun to play. But it is not as practical as katana and vox. You have to use pc, wait for it to boot, open a DAW or some software, configure them, etc. It takes time.

It is not easy to save and recall a preset for katana air. You use a phone app. Maybe I could not figured how to do it (someone please shed a light on me).  Vox was better with pc software. But both of them need to evolve. Also no bluetooth midi pedal board connectivity is disappointing. To change the tone you have to stop playing and fiddle with some tiny buttons and then finally continue to play. Lol, not good.
So far I am happy to have Katana air for home and outdoor practice. You can't really go wrong with either unit.

As a side not before my vox adio gt got broken, after a few days, it gave signals by increasing the volume one second and then back to normal level with pulses. I thought it was some effect but disabling all effects did not worked. Then last day it start to turn off in a few seconds (15 sec and decreasing) abruptly.  Then total silence has come.

admin

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24060.msg175444#msg175444

keenblade wrote>

And I miss somethings about vox adio air gt. Like the really high volume level. As admin said output volume of Katana air is half the level of Adio Gt. It is very quiet and not much use in outdoors with some noise. Vox is a dream like amp for the greatly adjustable both high and low volume levels. Also for katana air, there is no pc software. It has just a phone app using bluetooth connection. Both of them work like charm as a audio interface. I wonder why boss does not adapt the pc software of other katana amp models for katana air.

alancarl

Quote from: admin on January 08, 2018, 07:58:09 AM
So even worse than a Katana 50
No footswich jack at all (fail)

I do feel your frustration with the lack of wired control of this amp:-0
However if Boss would open the USB driver up to MIDI communication we might be able to use a couple of ways to get control over this little amp for an actual live performance scenario.
I can't say enough how I find the wireless/app crap only route to handle mission critical functions...worse is trying to mix over WiFi... I guess they are cute at that age but I digress:-)

I believe the Katana Air could have a useful place because of its size as a travel front end Katana DNA rig.
Maybe Boss can see the wisdom of a different vision with regards to their proprietary USB drivers.
That could solve a lot of things...

Anybody have a current line on who at Roland to talk with.?
Thanks
Al

Elantric

New Katana AIR EX
https://www.boss.info/global/products/katana-air_ex/

Larger speakers, compatible with optional rechargeable battery pack

But at $599 MSRP USA , and no CAB IR , only 2 channels ,
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KataAirEX--boss-katana-air-ex-20-35-watt-wireless-guitar-desktop-amp

and $199 optional rechargable battery
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BTY-NIMHA--roland-bty-nimh-a-rechargeable-amp-power-pack

its a bit outclassed by the NUX Mighty Space with 7 channels , cab IR, and works as a 50 watt Amp head to drive larger speaker cabs and has USB Class Compliant 48kHz 24 bit stereo USB AUDIO and USB MIDI , bluetooth audio, BLE wireless Editors , and jam track apps ( Mightier Amp app