Help, need the GR-50 Tone Chart Please

Started by Yohanes, April 03, 2017, 01:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yohanes

I am a new GR-50 user and excited about programming it. I have the manual book, Patch Setting Chart, & a Roland GR-50 Tutorial.doc. But I missed the Tones Chart, anybody have the RG-50 Tones Chart and please do me a favor to scan or take a picture of the tone Chart please?

I have recreated the Tone Chart in Excel file by browsing my GR-50 one by one the preset tones, but only the tone name, not be able to find a simple way to find out its Partial number to put in the Partial column, so anybody willing to help? I will share the Excel file.

Thanks.
Yamaha Pacifica 510V
Roland G-707
Godin Freeway SA
Boss GP-10
Roland GR-50

chrish

The 'tones chart' only states the number (how many 1 to 4) of partials that are used for a particular tone.

It doesn't state what those partials (pcm #) are the way tones are defined on the 'patch setting chart'.

for example:
a Group [Preset Tones]
No. Tone Name  #of Partials
01 acoustic piano1   3
02 acoustic piano2   2
03 touch piano        3
04 synth piano        3

Yohanes

Yes, but at least give a picture for new users or users who want to learn more about programming the GR-50 tone like me. I am uploading the Tone Chart that I want to do. I also have tutorial and owner manual in docs and pdf about GR-50 if you need, hope can be useful for GR-50 owner.

I also have (downloaded from various internet sites) Roland D-10, D-20, D-110 manual books, they have the same synth structure with GR-50, the D-50/550 manual books can help although slightly different with GR-50 (more LFO/effects, but only have 7 Partial Structures).

I hope GR-50 users will re-live their synth once more here (I hope I am not the last person so excited about GR-50), cheers.
Yamaha Pacifica 510V
Roland G-707
Godin Freeway SA
Boss GP-10
Roland GR-50

alexmcginness

I have a D-110 and a GR-50. The easiest way to program these things is with a dedicated editor. There were some great ones for the Atari that worked perfect. Midiquest is the only one I can think of these days that sorta work. If you dont have an editor then youre stuck with the little window and a lot of button pushing.
I use to own one of these that I used for a while before I got an editor for the Atari.

Just found this site that may help.

http://llamamusic.com/d110/d-110_utils.html
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

jcaman

Quote from: Yohanes on April 03, 2017, 10:54:22 PM
...(I hope I am not the last person so excited about GR-50), cheers.

You are not the last person excited about the GR50 my friend.
I picked up a VG99 and a week later a GR50 and haven't touched the VG99 since.
it's not that I don't like the VG99, see my excited posts about it, it's just that the GR50 tones mesh better with my guitar sound.
I run my guitar into a pedalboard full of effects and then into a couple of amps in stereo and the GK into the GR into a mixer and a PA.
hours of inspiration.
I don't know if i have the tone chart you're looking for but I'll check. I remember mine came with the original manual and inside was a loose chart of something.
didn't pay too much attention to it but I'll look for it tomorrow and let you know.

chrish

Quote from: Yohanes on April 03, 2017, 10:54:22 PM
Yes, but at least give a picture for new users or users who want to learn more about programming the GR-50 tone like me. I am uploading the Tone Chart that I want to do. I also have tutorial and owner manual in docs and pdf about GR-50 if you need, hope can be useful for GR-50 owner.

I also have (downloaded from various internet sites) Roland D-10, D-20, D-110 manual books, they have the same synth structure with GR-50, the D-50/550 manual books can help although slightly different with GR-50 (more LFO/effects, but only have 7 Partial Structures).

I hope GR-50 users will re-live their synth once more here (I hope I am not the last person so excited about GR-50), cheers.

The tone chart is not much use for programming. I'd send a pic but i'm not set up for home internet except on a flip phone.

my advice, select a patch and dive right in with the button pushes to alter the patch parameters and see what effect they have on the sound.

if you like the result, save the patch and repeat above.

or invest in the midiquest software editor. You'll need a computer with a 5 pin midi in/out and compatable with the software.

and/or keep checking ebay and reverb.com for a used pg-10 hardware programmer.

Good luck.

jcaman

Quote from: chrish on April 05, 2017, 09:15:13 PM...my advice, select a patch and dive right in with the button pushes to alter the patch parameters and see what effect they have on the sound.

if you like the result, save the patch and repeat above...

This is what I've been doing and it's very rewarding. Coming up with some really cool sounds.

Yohanes

Yes, I dive right in with the buttons, and that's why I like synthesizer  :)

New to this GR-50, I would like to have a patch list and the tone list for me to map the sound to something I can see. When auditioning many GR-50 sounds, I can 'link it' with the chart so when I see the chart I can 'imaging' the sound or vice versa even away from the GR-50, It's like make a memory connection in my brain between the tone and the list (help to memorize it). Maybe after months or years of tinkering I will grab it and don't need any chart anymore because it will inside my head.

I found the blank charts in page 154 - 158 of the GR-50 manual is very useful.

I also got this tutorial document very helpful  especially for a beginner like me and would like to share it here, I am not sure if this is OK to post here, but if not please forum admin remove it.

And thanks again for all of your attention and comments.

Cheers.
Yamaha Pacifica 510V
Roland G-707
Godin Freeway SA
Boss GP-10
Roland GR-50