Line 6 Variax apparent high failure rate

Started by Leevc5, October 08, 2016, 10:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevc5

Please let me introduce myself as and owner past and present of a Spider IV 75W, Variaxe 300, AmpliFi 30 and JTV 69.  I am not a Line 6 basher, the amplifiers performed above expectations.  The Variax 300 failed and by searching the internet found that this was a common problem that could be remedied by replacing the main board (coffin module).  I bought this part for $120 from Full Compass switched out the modules with no problem in a short amount of time and was rewarded with a fully functional 300 that I was completely pleased with.

Now I have a JTV 69 and it has failed (modeling sounds are garbled, switches tuning erratically and the volume control works intermittently).  I have working with Line 6 customer service, who have been as helpful as policy allows, for about three weeks regarding this problem and we cannot come to an agreeable solution.

My point is that based on the volume of posts I have seen on the internet the Line 6 Variaxe is a piece of equipment that is prone to failure.  Buying guitar equipment and consumer electronics the vast majority of products usually work until you are tired of them or something better comes out that you replace it with the new an improved.  This does not seem to be the case with the Variaxe.  If it was not an issue not only would you not find the large number of reported failures on various forums nor would you find a company like Full Compass carrying a broad range of replacement parts.  Does Fender or Gibson or Apple etc...have a high volume of complaints about their hardware failing or have companies carrying replacement components (not upgrades or mods but replacement parts for original parts that fail)?  From what I have seen the answer to this is no they don't.

I believe that the Variaxe has either design problems, manufacturing process problems or a bit of both.  The result is here I set with a $700 piece of fire wood.

In conclusion I think that Line 6 should stand fully behind the complex Variaxe guitars and offer to repair these guitars that fail for a minimal charge.

admin

Variax has less failure rate than one of these:

Be thankful Full Compass sells spare parts to keep Variaxes running
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9688.0

Can't say that for most Gibson High Tech guitars that are also 10 years old, but replacement parts are unobtainium

vtgearhead

One would assume your guitar is not under warranty, correct?  Have they quoted you any numbers on a repair? 

Trying to equate reliability of the JTV Variax to a conventional passive guitar doesn't make sense.  The Variax is conceptually closer to a mass produced consumer grade computer.  That said, what I'm seeing of Line6's response to non-warranty problems on their forum is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.  If the failure rate of Variax electronics is as low as they'd like us to believe, then they should bend over backwards to accommodate folks in your situation.  That doesn't necessarily mean free service, but it also doesn't mean gouging you for a large portion of the guitar's cost. 

In a previous life I ran a professional audio retail business.  Our number one line at the time was Electro-Voice (EV).  They are slightly diminished today, but in the late 80s / early 90s EV was a major player in everything from microphones, through processing and mixing equipment and, of course, speakers.  Their components may not have always been best-of-breed, but one thing that made them stand out was the degree to which they stood by their products.  Over the years we sent them microphones that looked like they had been run over by a truck and speakers with toasted voice coils.  It was rare to ever be charged for repairs beyond return shipping costs.  I don't recall ever having a warranty claim disputed.  Their primary goal was customer satisfaction.  And, it worked.  We sold lots of their gear and folks that bought it returned for more.  That type of reputation is worth its weight in gold. 

Perhaps the times have changed to the point where no one really cares anymore, but one would think this should be the primary goal of every vendor.  I know this post sounds like a "..when I was your age I walked to school 5 miles - uphill both ways.." type of rant, but consumer behavior is sort of a constant.  Treat your customers like gold and have them come back, or treat them like crap and reap the consequences. 

vxboogie

My experience has been very different. I bought a 700T in 2003 and a 300 as a backup a few years later. The only issue I ever had was one of the piezo saddles became "chimey". Line 6 sent me a couple without charge even though  they were probably 6-8 years out of warranty. I installed it myself. I used them as my main guitars(I had 3 other electrics) until the JTVs came out and I bought a JTV69S and a year later bought a JTV69 as a backup and gave the 300 & 700T away to players that needed a better guitar. To my knowledge, they are still being put to good use. Even though I have a PRS Custom 24 now, the JTVs get plenty of playing time due to their versatility and switching capabilities when using VDI to my Helix(used to be a HD500).

jamsden

I've had good experience with my JTV69-S as well. I gigged regularly with it for the last four years and never had a problem. I use the VDI cable into Helix. I have replaced the neck and pickups, but that wasn't because there was anything wrong, just personal preference. It's now my workhorse guitar. I bring a backup/second guitar (Strat, Tele, Les Paul, Sheraton Pro in rotation), but have great confidence in the JTV.

admin

Quote from: jamsden on January 12, 2020, 08:26:01 AM
I've had good experience with my JTV69-S as well. I gigged regularly with it for the last four years and never had a problem. I use the VDI cable into Helix. I have replaced the neck and pickups, but that wasn't because there was anything wrong, just personal preference. It's now my workhorse guitar. I bring a backup/second guitar (Strat, Tele, Les Paul, Sheraton Pro in rotation), but have great confidence in the JTV.

Same here - in fact all my variaxs still work - be sure to remove the battery during storage

AlakaLazlo

Same here.  Originally had a 700 and a PodXT Live, then upgraded to a JTV69s and a Helix. Extensively modified the Variax (for my taste, not to fix any defects) and its been rock solid.  (I did have a bad tuner switch on the Helix about a year ago that they fixed under warranty.  No problems since then)
Hexstainocaster, Fender Strat and Electric XII, Godin ACS, Axon AX50 - Moog One, IIP and Mini, SEM, Dot.Com/Moon/STG/FSFX 110, Cubase Pro, 2xMR816, HR824, NS10M, Komplete, Omnisphere/RMX/Trilian, Z3ta+, Analog Lab, Slate MTi2, ML1 and Everything Bundle, Social Entropy Engine, ESQ1, DX7, Lavalamp.