13-PIN PLUG & SOCKET DUST COVERS

Started by billbax, June 24, 2016, 11:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbax

Thanks guys for reviewing the covers. 

The big question is, will the dust covers slow up the need to buy new 13-P cables?  I'm hoping the covers go some way towards breaking the nasty purchase cycle - only time will tell.

Cheers, Bill

Elantric

I find value in using a semi hard case for transporting GK-13 cables , it prevents them getting crushed

One of these headphones cases work to store and transport a few GK cables

Headless68

This is a great idea - I notice that even kept in the house 13 pin cable ends get oxidisation after a while ( I tend to use my old planet waves cable and the roland ones just sit there as spares

frummox

Worked great, thanks Bill. I had fabric covers made for my units but I think your socket covers will do a better job.

billbax

Thanks frummox for reviewing the 13-pin covers. Your photo shows how simple it is protecting those precious plugs and sockets.

Spent the past few days working on the 13-Pin covers DIY movie, and hope it gives v-guitar forum members a basic insight.

13-PIN PLUG AND SOCKET DUST COVERS

Thanks,  Bill

http://www.separate-strings.co.uk/13pinprotection.html

frummox

Bill, Mr. Dust and Mr. Dirt seem to have a British accent. Who knew (pesky foreigners!) ;D

Frank

I recently received my 13 pin dust covers.
They are doing an excellent job in keeping the dust at bay from both the sockets and the plugs for all my 13 pin gear.
I have to say it never really occurred to me previously that there would be such a quick build up of dust.
After a few weeks of use though, I'm glad I've got a set now.

Thanks Bill.

rocks_are_stupid

I got some dust covers from Bill after one of my GP-10's started malfunctioning due to dust buildup, this happened in the middle of a studio session (I eventually fixed it by using DeOxit)

Now that I have the dust covers I don't have to worry about this issue happening again on stage or during a recording. I use to be pretty careless, leaving the cables exposed for months, now I have the covers to make sure the equipment won't be faulty when I return to it.

Original Music/Videos using only the Vguitar
-
www.YouTube.com/YourNewEmpire
www.Instagram.com/Your_New_Empire
www.Facebook.com/YourNewEmpire

billbax

Hi All,

You would never think it possible to update a simple 13-pin plug and socket dust cover?

Improvements.

* White & Yellow - much easier to see/find at the gig or studio floor, and no more misplaced dust covers.

* Thicker walled dust covers, leading to an improved and tighter fit.

* Improved manufacturing with uniform finish.

Mr. Dirt & Mr. Dust surrounded...not looking too good for them. I need a good speech-bubble caption for Mr. Dirt on the left?
First answer gets a free 20-pack new White/Yellow dust covers bag. mooncaine gets the free bag of dust covers, and big thanks for making our little mates more scary. I won't be able to sleep tonight ;D

White glossy dust cover with 100% 13-pin coverage.

Yellow 13-pin socket dust cover. A thicker dust cover wall equals a tighter fit.

A yellow 13-pin socket dust cover is also compatible with a standard 5-pin MIDI socket. A USB 'clear' dust cover photobombs the frame.

Thanks for viewing.

Bill

www.separate-strings.co.uk

P.S.  Thanks to 'rocks_are_stupid' for your review. Preventative maintenance is very important !

mooncaine

"Let's bag this. It's a coverup."

billbax

OK mooncaine, you win !

I'll get them off in the post this coming Monday 23rd.

Bill

mooncaine

I meant to attach this idea. I think Misters Dirt and Dust should be scarier, or angry... angry that they can't get into my 13-pin gear.

gumbo

Yeah...surprising they weren't more scary...
...particularly if you've ever actually seen Bill....   :o
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

billbax

Hi Guys,

PM me if you want a 20-pack of the new 13-pin Plug & Socket dust covers. Or email me through the website.

Prices including shipping:

UK - £7.00GBP. Normally takes a day 1st class.

US - $12.21USD. 5-7 Working days.

EUROPE - 9.68EUR. 3-5 Working days.

ELSEWHERE - $12.41USD 7-10 Working days.

20-Pack of 13-pin plug & socket dust covers

Clear type 13-pin plug dust cover

Clear type 13-pin socket dust cover

Thanks for viewing.

Bill

rocks_are_stupid

Billbax, your production quality on the promotional pics/gif are amazing, Are you in the media/marketing industry? You have put so much thought into every aspect of this, I applaud you.
Original Music/Videos using only the Vguitar
-
www.YouTube.com/YourNewEmpire
www.Instagram.com/Your_New_Empire
www.Facebook.com/YourNewEmpire

mooncaine

Makes good covers, too. They fit!
My cables have white covers now, and my VGs got the yellow ones. Way easier for me to see.

billbax

Hi rocks_are_stupid,

QuoteBillbax, your production quality on the promotional pics/gif are amazing, Are you in the media/marketing industry? You have put so much thought into every aspect of this, I applaud you.

No, not in the media/marketing industry, and my media skills are generally average. The energy and motivation behind the 13-pin plug and socket dust covers, is the continuing horror stories posted here at the forum and elsewhere. If I had the money and time, I would happily supply the entire v-guitar forum membership with a free bag of 13-pin plug and socket covers.

Motivation pic 1

Motivation pic 2

Simple preventative solution.

New 20/13-Pin plug & socket dust covers @ £5 GBP.

Thanks,

Bill

P.S. Thanks also to mooncaine for his comment and appreciation. mooncaine, I hope your 13-pin cable buying days are severely reduced!

CodeSmart

Quote from: billbax on August 06, 2018, 04:03:03 PM
If I had the money and time, I would happily supply the entire v-guitar forum membership with a free bag of 13-pin plug and socket covers.
Bill, I thank you for my bag.
They preserve my seldom used gear for the future (VG99 and GR33).
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

ffata

Bill,
I received mine and have been using them a few days, this is a brilliant product and idea!
You do give instructions to DIY. But sometimes it's easier to just purchase. (no borrowing of the wife's hair dryer!!)
I also agree with the brighter white and yellow.

Thanks again for providing this service,
Fred

billbax

Hi guys,

Big thanks to codesmart and Fred for your posts.

Fred, those photos are excellent and show how the new bright covers do not blend into the background. If those were the old type, black and clear, you might be looking on the floor for five minutes. Thanks !

Quote(no borrowing of the wife's hair dryer!!)

Wise words that will keep you out of trouble. Tit-for-tat...she can't dry her hair using my hot air gun either - it works both ways  ;D

Bill

gumbo

Quote from: ffata on August 07, 2018, 03:32:57 PM
Bill,
I received mine and have been using them a few days, this is a brilliant product and idea!
You do give instructions to DIY. But sometimes it's easier to just purchase. (no borrowing of the wife's hair dryer!!)
I also agree with the brighter white and yellow.

Thanks again for providing this service,
Fred

A great product, for sure !!!

...watch for important news coming soon on the Synth-Linx Thread.... ;D

Now all we have to do is find someone to make plastic 1/4" jackplugs to keep the cr@p out of those up-turned input jacks on Roland Cube amps....

...believe me, I'm thinking about that...   ::)    ....how much time have you got, Bill ?

Cheers
Peter

gumbo

Quote from: billbax on August 07, 2018, 06:38:30 PM
Hi guys,

Wise words that will keep you out of trouble. Tit-for-tat...she's can't dry her hair using my hot air gun either - it works both ways  ;D

Bill

...funny, I couldn't remember you telling me that your wife wore glasses, Bill..

billbax

Hi Everyone,

A new 13-pin right-angled red dust cover is born, and compliments the existing 13-pin plug and socket covers. All three dust covers are now available in a new handy 24-pack, supplied with eight of each type. A 'pick 'n' mix' custom option is also available for those who want different amounts.

13-pin is alive and kicking! 8)

Bill

All three 13-pin dust covers.

NEW RIGHT-ANGLED DUST COVER
ESTIMATED PROTECTION:
* Dust, Dirt & Debris = Very Good.
* Oxidation & Moisture = Good.
* Tarnish Prevention = Very Good.
* Pin Protection = Good.
* Shell Protection = Good.

13-PIN STRAIGHT DUST COVER
ESTIMATED PROTECTION:
* Dust, Dirt & Debris = 100% Coverage.
* Oxidation & Moisture = Excellent.
* Tarnish Prevention = Excellent.
* Pin Protection = Good.
* Shell Protection = Good.

13-PIN V-SYNTH SOCKET DUST COVER
ESTIMATED PROTECTION:
* Dust, Dirt & Debris = Excellent.
* Oxidation & Moisture = Very Good.
* Tarnish Prevention = Excellent.
* Pin Protection = 100% Coverage.
* Socket Protection = Very good.

mooncaine

I love these since you switched to bright colors. Reading this just reminded me to unplug and cover up.

jazzkid74

After having used these dust covers for a few months now in the humid and salty air in west Norway.
It has not been necessary to clean pins and sockets with DeOxit on any of my guitars or V-gear.
It has also given me piece and mind, knowing that dust or debris are not going to be a problem while travelling to rehearsals and gigs.
There is a PDF guide on http://separate-strings.co.uk/13pinprotection.html on how to make them yourself, but at the price he's asking for a bag of 20, why bother.