MIDX-10 Its here!

Started by Bill Ruppert, November 14, 2015, 06:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ruppert

My MIDX-10 is here!
Fantastic work Robert.
You are a genius and your work is so pro.
Thank you.
Bill

CodeSmart

Thank you Bill,
You got serial #001 with the LED holes not very well aligned just to prove its hand made ;D
I know your GKPX-14 is also serial #001, so it's a rare pair you got there.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

JoBoss

Gosh !! me waiting wide-eyed for mine to appear on the horizon... ::)..chking mail umpteen times waiting for the coveted piece ???....maybe its waiting for Xmas to happen ...that will be befitting..... ;D

Snow Black

Mine arrived today, thanks Robert. Quickly hooked it up to my GP-10 and iPad Air, via Griffin Studio Connect, and it all worked a treat! So far I've only tried Animoog (very responsive) and Mellotron (M3000 HD) apps (great combined with the GP-10 acoustic guitar for reliving a few early King Crimson moments).

Great job, Robert, and worth every penny!

Stefan
Moog Guitar Paul Vo Collectors Edition, Fernandes with sustainer & GK3, Fender Strat with sustainer & GK3, Brian Moore i9-13, Variax transplant & Firehawk FX, Fretless guitar with ATG luthier kit, SY-1000, GP-10, SY-300, VG-99, FC-300, GR-55, VG-8ex, US-20, GX-2, Roland Street Cube EX, Tech 21 PE

mchad

Quote from: spjnowak on November 17, 2015, 03:37:24 AM
Mine arrived today, thanks Robert. Quickly hooked it up to my GP-10 and iPad Air, via Griffin Studio Connect, and it all worked a treat! So far I've only tried Animoog (very responsive) and Mellotron (M3000 HD) apps (great combined with the GP-10 acoustic guitar for reliving a few early King Crimson moments).

Great job, Robert, and worth every penny!

Stefan

Mine is on the way Down Under. I am looking forward to some handmade awesomeness. Thanks Robert.

My current thinking is to use the GP10 as an amp engine room and a pitch to midi provider into an iPad. There are some killer IOS synths. Indeed some awesome IOS effects. Are there any vids around that show hex pup guitar driving iPad synths?

Stefan how are you going with your set up?

CodeSmart

Quote from: mchad on November 20, 2015, 04:21:25 PM
My current thinking is to use the GP10 as an amp engine room and a pitch to midi provider into an iPad. There are some killer IOS synths. Indeed some awesome IOS effects. Are there any vids around that show hex pup guitar driving iPad synths?

Well mchad I only have Garageband in my iPad but the piano responds pretty well. This makes me rethink my own rig.

CodeSmart

Anyone plugged a FTP into MIDX-10 yet (Elantric) ?
Does it work?

OldGuitarDude

Quote from: CodeSmart on November 25, 2015, 03:05:23 PM
Does it work?

I was wondering the same thing.... haven't had time to try it yet! I will reverse the polarity on one of my wall adapters tomorrow and test it. The FTP USB receiver is just a little too close to the 5v phone charger connection, so an external power supply or maybe a powered hub will be necessary to make it work. It may even be possible to shave down the plastic on one side of the micro-usb connector.... will give it a go asap.

Thanks again Robert! Fantastic work!

Slide58

Does it work?

I just checked. FTP into MIDX-10 >iConnectMIDI 4+>>iPad running Animoog. Works !!respons real well.  Thanks  CodeSmart

CodeSmart

Quote from: Slide58 on November 26, 2015, 08:15:54 AM
I just checked. FTP into MIDX-10 >iConnectMIDI 4+>>iPad running Animoog. Works !!respons real well.  Thanks  CodeSmart

Nice to hear 8)
Thanks for sharing.

Elantric

FTP works with most USB Host port devices -except Apogee.

I typically just use iPad & Apple USB Camera Adapter and plug in the FTP USB Receiver.

Or just use iPad & Apple USB Camera Adapter and connect to a powered USB Hub -then plug in the FTP USB Receiver and USB Audio interface (IK Irig Duo, Line-6 Sonicport VX, or my latest favorite -the built in 24 but Audio USB Interface in the Fender Tripleplay Strat)

The main attraction of MIDX-10 is finally being able to control GP-10 with a KMI Sorftstep-2 or Helix or other MFX Unit with MIDI I/O (GT-100, Hd500)

Too bad the Kemper + Kemper Remote remains crippled as a MIDI Controller for third party gear.

whippinpost91850

Have to agree about the Kemper remote. can still only send PCs and that just sucks for a $600 controller

mchad

Quote from: CodeSmart on November 21, 2015, 06:22:28 AM
Well mchad I only have Garageband in my iPad but the piano responds pretty well. This makes me rethink my own rig.

Thanks Robert. I got my MIDX10 today too. Looks beautiful. Now looking at your iPad set-up photo I have all those things except a CCK. What I will eventually want to have on a board is the GP10 (for amp tones mainly plus any other great sounds, an iPad (for more great sounds) and a midi foot controller to call up patches on both. I'm pretty much nearly there aren't I? Sorry for the basic questions but I've never used an iPad for sounds.

CodeSmart

Quote from: mchad on November 26, 2015, 07:48:23 PM
What I will eventually want to have on a board is the GP10 (for amp tones mainly plus any other great sounds, an iPad (for more great sounds) and a midi foot controller to call up patches on both. I'm pretty much nearly there aren't I? Sorry for the basic questions but I've never used an iPad for sounds.

I never used iPad before either, I just did a quick test with it. In the band I run  a combo of GR-55 for synth and GP-10 for guitar.

Yes you can control both. You just need to get your MIDI controller talking 5-pin MIDI.
(If the controller only has USB connector, get a Roland UM-ONE or any other std. USB to 5pin MIDI converter)

So: MIDI controller 5-pin (directly or converted to 5-pin using UM-ONE) connects to MIDI IN of MIDX-10 and MIDI OUT connects to (another) UM-ONE any goes into CCK iPAD. Plus of course a USB cable to GP-10.

So in worst case with a USB only MIDI controller you need two UM-ONE (or similar) converters plus the MIDX-10. :P

CodeSmart

Quote from:  sec6
My thought is to hook up RC300 to MIDX-10 input and the output to the Blofeld with the merge function on to enable clock messages from RC300 to the Blofeld.

First try with the Merge OFF because the GP-10 might do the THRU trick for you.

mchad

Fluke

Got a proper sit down with my MIDX-10 (#11) over the past few days.
All I initially wanted was simple foot control to add bank capability to the GP10, my old GT10 is working brilliantly for this, while I look for a more compact controller.

However, I'm hooked now on the other possibilities that are possible with the MIDX.
I must say also, that the unit is beautifully made, perfectly sized and looks great next to my GP10 :)

Thanks so much Robert!

mchad

Quote from: CodeSmart on November 26, 2015, 08:54:13 PM
I never used iPad before either, I just did a quick test with it. In the band I run  a combo of GR-55 for synth and GP-10 for guitar.

Yes you can control both. You just need to get your MIDI controller talking 5-pin MIDI.
(If the controller only has USB connector, get a Roland UM-ONE or any other std. USB to 5pin MIDI converter)

So: MIDI controller 5-pin (directly or converted to 5-pin using UM-ONE) connects to MIDI IN of MIDX-10 and MIDI OUT connects to (another) UM-ONE any goes into CCK iPAD. Plus of course a USB cable to GP-10.

So in worst case with a USB only MIDI controller you need two UM-ONE (or similar) converters plus the MIDX-10. :P

Thanks Robert. I hooked up the GP10 to the MIDX10 then to an IPad4. Had to reinstall drivers for GP10 and UM-1. I then opened up a synth app called Magellan. Wow! Very cool sounds. Also apps called iPiano and iOrchestra are very good quality.

mchad

Just an aside to the above. The iPad doesn't like the UM-1. I have a UM-1 EX. When you first plug everything in the iPad complains that it doesn't recognise the UM-1. Anyways after unplugging and replugging and flicking switches it seems to work. Not the best scenario from a live perspective though.

On the other hand the MIDX10 is cruising.  :)

CodeSmart

Quote from: mchad on November 29, 2015, 05:34:32 PM
Just an aside to the above. The iPad doesn't like the UM-1. I have a UM-1 EX. When you first plug everything in the iPad complains that it doesn't recognise the UM-1. Anyways after unplugging and replugging and flicking switches it seems to work. Not the best scenario from a live perspective though.

On the other the MIDX10 is cruising.  :)

It, (UM) may have a very small switch, ADV Driver: ON/OFF. Set it to OFF.

Elantric

We only recommend the newer UM -ONE MKII

mchad

Quote from: CodeSmart on November 29, 2015, 05:43:46 PM
It, (UM) may have a very small switch, ADV Driver: ON/OFF. Set it to OFF.

It does. I will. Thanks!

mchad

alexmcginness

Got a quick question. Can I use my MIDX-10 to send patch changes to two GP 10s at the same time?
Is there a Y USB cable to do this with?
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

gumtown

No, you can't Y split a USB cable,
only power will be shared, but the data will not split,
as you can't daisy chain USB devices to one host port.

What you need is a MIDX-20, which has two USB ports.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/