iPad PRO (USB-C) Music rigs

Started by Elantric, September 02, 2015, 12:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Codeseven

I agree with Elantric, 'currently' the Pro is not ready to be a substitute for an OS X device. That will change with iOS updates and 'pro' level apps I'm sure in the near future. The hardware is already there, the rest has to catch up.

I would sorely love to put my aging and heavy 2008 MBP, and 16Gb iPad Air 1 aside for an iPP, and I think that will eventually be the case.

aliensporebomb

Friend just bought one saturday and bought the Logitech keyboard/case unit making it look like a small laptop. 

Seems very nice but as expensive as a laptop in some regards.

He bought the one with the cellular functionality built-in and it left the iPad2 I have in the dust speed wise.  Very fast.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Codeseven

Quote from: admsustainiac on November 17, 2015, 11:54:19 AM
http://recode.net/2015/11/17/the-ipad-pro-the-start-of-something-new/

Excellent article, thanks. I agree with the author.

My gen X niece (I'm 56) who has grown up in the mobile computing environment and lives, along with her friends, with an iPhone to her head while feverishly tapping away on an iPad, asked me just other day when I was going to join the 21st Century and get rid 'of that bulky museum piece' on my lap, my beloved 2008 MBP. At first I thought, she does't know what she's talking about. Later I realized, maybe she does actually does know what she's talking about. Is she living the future of computing while I'm clinging to a fading past?

admin

It would be nice if iPad Pro acted like graphic tablet for a Mac computer.

It can. AstroPad app.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/astropad-graphics-tablet/id934510730?mt=8

The #1 app for turning your iPad into a drawing tablet for Mac!
Get the high-end experience of a Wacom pen display at a fraction of the price with Astropad.

** Requires a Mac **
The Mac companion app is free and is available on http://astropad.com.

• "Wow!" - swissmiss
• "In short: it actually works." - The Verge
• "If you're a digital artist with an iPad, you need to give Astropad a try." - iMore
• "I found performance instantaneous with no lag time whatsoever." - The Next Web
• "Astropad's execution is much better...mirroring the display with zero lag and total reliability." - Gizmodo
• "Somebody should really go to Wacom HQ and make sure everyone's okay." - Uncrate

Astropad transforms your iPad into a professional graphics tablet for your Mac. Use your iPad to draw directly into Photoshop and any other Mac creative tools you know & love.

Finally, you can use your iPad as a drawing tablet for your favorite Mac tools including: Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, Corel Painter, Manga Studio, Pixelmator, Mischief and any other Mac app you like! Whether you are a professional digital artist or a hobbyist, Astropad offers the most powerful way to draw on your Mac using your iPad.

Built for the needs of creative professionals, Astropad is true to your source material with color corrected output and retina resolution. What you see on your iPad is the same as on your Mac.

Astropad features breakthrough network technology that keeps up with you even when wirelessly drawing. It really works, allowing you to work from your desk or the sofa.

Watch our demo video at: http://astropad.com

Features:
• Provides a natural drawing experience
• Works with any Mac app
• Delivers unprecedented image quality, no compression artifacts
• Blazing fast, keeps up with your drawing
• Bursts to 60 FPS even over Wi-Fi
• Works wirelessly or over USB
• Supports all iOS styluses
• Pressure sensitive
• Customizable shortcuts
• True Retina resolution
• Accurate palm rejection
• Pinch to zoom and pan in your Mac apps

Great for:
• Illustration
• Sketching
• Painting
• Photo editing

Supported Styluses:
• Apple Pencil
• Pencil by FiftyThree
• Adonit
• Wacom
• Adobe Ink
• Pogo Connect
• Hex3

Creating Astropad required innovative new technology we call LIQUID. We tried existing technologies but none of them delivered the performance we demanded. So we developed LIQUID and we are now able to deliver incredible performance and image quality well beyond existing tools

Powered by LIQUID technology
• 2x faster than AirPlay
• Better than the highest quality JPEG
• Designed specifically for Wi-Fi

Devices supported:
All iPads with iOS 8
All Macs with 10.9 (Mavericks) or later

What our users are saying:

"It's completely revolutionized the way I animate in Flash and Photoshop." - Ronny K.

"I levitated out of my seat when I saw Astropad, having frequently lusted after a Wacom Cintiq for years but unable to afford it. Thank you much for developing this breakthrough app." - Mark G.

"Great, great, great. Need I say more?" - Sherri Nielsen

" I'm in love it's exactly what I've wanted my iPad to be able to do since I bought it four years ago." - Morgan D.

"​This is a fantastic app. I can't recommend it highly enough. If you already have a pressure sensitive stylus and want the Cintiq experience on an iPad there is quite simply no better way. If you don't have a pressure sensitive stylus this app will make you go out and buy one." - David Green

"OHMYGODILOVEYOU!" - Wayne Johnson

Astro HQ Web SiteAstropad Graphics Tablet Support
What's New in Version 1.4.2
• Bug fix for when USB failed to connect after iPad wake
• Support for Apple Pencil on 9.7" iPad Pro
• Smarter, simpler manual Wifi connections:

Elantric

Elantric

Elantric

jassy

Just purchased an Ipad 9.7" pro 128gb to update my Ipad air 1.
Just installed Cubasis 2 in both Ipad and tried some demo songs to know the performance gain I have adquired with the ipad pro and to my suprise the Cubasis cpu meter in the Ipad pro shows almost double CPU usage and not only that the cpu meter jumps much more than in the Air 1.
Both Ipad are in airplane mode, so I dont know what more I can do to improve the Ipad performance.
Anyone with an Ipad 9.7" pro  can confirm this bad performance?

admin

What is your audio interface?

What version IOS?

One hurdle of the 9.7" IPad Pro, it has half the RAM (2GB) compared to the 12.9" iPad Pro (4gb)

More RAM is important for IOS Music Apps , so the 12.9" iPad Pro remains the top choice for music creation

https://www.google.com/amp/appleinsider.com/articles/16/04/08/apples-97-ipad-pro-vs-129-ipad-pro-which-choice-is-right-for-you/amp/?client=safari

QuoteIf you have the need for speed, go with the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. Though both models run the same A9X chip, it's clocked faster for both basic CPU horsepower as well as graphics processing on the larger model. The 12.9-inch model also has double the RAM, at 4 gigabytes.

The 12.9-inch variant also has the distinction of being the only iOS device from Apple to feature a high-speed USB 3 Lightning port. The 9.7-inch model features the same standard USB 2-speed Lightning port as all other devices.

jassy

Quote from: admsustainiac on October 18, 2016, 07:43:41 AM
What is your audio interface?

What version IOS?

One hurdle of the 9.7" IPad Pro, it has half the RAM (2GB) compared to the 12.9" iPad Pro (4gb)

More RAM is important for IOS Music Apps , so the 12.9" iPad Pro remains the top choice for music creation

https://www.google.com/amp/appleinsider.com/articles/16/04/08/apples-97-ipad-pro-vs-129-ipad-pro-which-choice-is-right-for-you/amp/?client=safari
IOS 9.3 in the iPad pro and 8 in the Air 1. Thats probably the key (?!).
The audio interface is the Sonic Port.
Yeah I know the 12.9" has more ram, but I dont like that size in a tablet. And the cpu speed is the same acording to anandtech.
Im comparing it with my Air 1, I was expecting at least twice the power, not half. Not sure whats happening here.

Elantric

jassy

Quote from: Elantric on October 18, 2016, 09:13:42 AM
newer IOS has more bloat
Yeah, but that much? dont know if is simply how cubasis meter behave in different IOS. I need to forget the cubasis meter and test it.
What Im discovering is that even with the most advanced Ipad to date, is not possible to manage a decent guitar setup (guitar effects+midiguitar+synth), as it lacks seriously cpu power (I find it funny that many media say that the Ipad pro was more powerful than many laptops or desktop computers, and its not even remotely close to the power of my laptop) and its a system very unreliable for playing live (trying to use a setup with some synths and guitar effects inside Cubasis or AUM and the "plugins" are constantly crahsing, losing sound, not recalling, and a large etc of problems) an windows laptop was considered a "not relieable thing" but this is one of the most immature things I've seen.

Elantric

QuoteWhat Im discovering is that even with the most advanced Ipad to date, is not possible to manage a decent guitar setup (guitar effects+midiguitar+synth), as it lacks seriously cpu power (I find it funny that many media say that the Ipad pro was more powerful than many laptops or desktop computers, and its not even remotely close to the power of my laptop) .

matches my real world experience as well

iPads work fine for a singular task, ( Gutar Amp FX/Sim - or MIDI Synth  or DAW recorder (Cubasis, Arturia)

i'm amazed when I see folks running several IOS Music apps at same time with AUM mixer and Jam origin MIDI Guitar and Sampletank 2 .

If i try to run all that, it always locks up or crashes for me

admin

admin

https://www.cultofmac.com/617166/kingston-nucleum-best-usb-c-hub-for-ipad-pro/
This may be the best USB-C hub you can buy for your iPad Pro
BY CHARLIE SORREL • 11:00 AM, APRIL 4, 2019

Ever since I got a 2018 iPad Pro last year, I've gone through a drawerful of USB-C hubs. And finally, I've found one that works. Or rather, one that works without any odd, annoying or inexplicable behavior. It's the Kingston Nucleum, it doesn't have quite enough ports, and it's just great.

This post contains affiliate links. Cult of Mac may earn a commission when you use our links to buy items. Read our reviews policy.

All USB-C hubs are not equal

Photo: Vava
In theory, any USB-C hub will work with the iPad Pro. But in practice, some hubs are more equal than others. My first attempt — the Vava 8-in-1 — didn't even work. It would pass power, but it wouldn't let me hook up a regular USB audio interface to its USB-A ports. I returned it.
Maybe? The Anker USB-C hub had a tail that was too short.
Maybe?

The second one was a cheap Anker hub, which had a too-short USB-C tail and hung from the side of my iPad. I replaced it with an i-tec dock that seemed almost perfect. It was the previous version of this model.

The i-tec hub was almost perfect. Almost.

A dock like this is a great option for an iPad Pro, because you can leave it on the desk, hooked up to all your accessories, and just connect the iPad to it when needed. It also has a USB-C port for connecting to the computer instead of a hard-wired cable like smaller hubs. This means you can use a wire long enough to reach the iPad.

Jack attack
So, what was wrong with it? The headphone jack. I use my iPad to record audio — music, podcasts — and I use a USB audio interface for that. But the i-tec dock kept stealing the audio connection away from my audio interface.

iOS only recognizes one audio input/output device. If you are using one, and you plug in another, then the most-recently connected one takes over. That's usually fine, but the i-tec hub would glitch, losing the connection to the iPad. Then, its own audio jack would take over. This never happened in the middle of recording, but it often happened between takes, which is almost as bad. Worse, my iPad would often fail to see my connected USB mixer until I restarted the mixer, and perhaps the hub, and maybe even the iPad.

Anker

Next I decided to go back to the Anker, but I'd already lent it to a friend, who had decided to keep it. I ordered another Anker hub, this one with its USB-C input hole at the opposite end from the output cable. That keeps the cables nice and tidy.

It worked, and best of all it would connect to the USB mixer 100 percent of the time. I could live with it hanging off the side of the iPad if it was reliable.

But then it started to act weird. My iPad would connect and disconnect from the hub while sleeping. The iPad screen would wake up, and the icon that shows USB-C connections would appear. Worse, the iPad would reboot itself while connected.

Around this time, I was also looking at a hub that would work with the OP-Z synthesizer, so I could connect it to a keyboard, say, without running down the battery. The OP-Z is fickle about what hubs it can work with. I wondered, if I bought one of the compatible hubs, might it also work properly with the iPad? The list actually contains a single powered USB-C hub, the Kingston Nucleum.

Kingston Nucleum
Yes! The Kingston Nucleum USB-C hub just works.
Yes!

I bought it, and it works. Not only does it connect an OP-Z to a USB-C keyboard, it also connects the iPad reliably to all my USB accessories. The only downside is that the Nucleum only has two USB-A ports. Most hubs this size offer three. On the upside, the Nucleum packs a USB-C port instead. That means you can plug in an extra USB-C device and charge it. You can even daisy-chain another USB-C hub to the Nucleum. I'm doing that right now, typing this on a clicky USB keyboard hooked up to a daisy-chained hub.

Best USB-C hub for iPad Pro: Kingston Nucleum
So, if you're looking for a USB-C hub for your iPad Pro, and you don't want one with a headphone jack built in, get the Kingston Nucleum. It costs the same as comparable hubs, and it works better than any other USB-C hub I tried.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076BGJXTG
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/39849/ipad-pro-usb-c-hub-what-is-the-best-at-this-point-in-time-july-2020
https://www.cultofmac.com/592222/is-this-just-fantasy-queens-brian-may-hates-apples-usb-c-cables/

admin