GP-10 USB audio on linux

Started by cjb, August 09, 2015, 02:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjb

Hi all,

I know that some of you have managed to use jack to connect to the GP-10 for midi purposes.
But is it possible to run audio through the GP-10 in linux? I tried with jack, and something is wrong as it throws me an error when following the exact instructions I found on other posts.

did anyone manage to get the audio interface running on linux?
(btw, I am using arch)

thanks!

Elantric

So far Ive not been able to get Jack audio to work with Boss Gear

Only the Roland UA-22 in "Tab" mode ( Class Compliant Mode ) works

Follow progress  / status here
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/hardware_support

http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10104

USB

Most USB 1.1 devices are 'class compliant', i.e. they conform to a standard that is supported in Linux, but this may not support all the features of the device. Generally 48kHz/16 bit stereo I/O will work (24 bit support?). Some devices have dedicated ALSA support for advanced features.

Many USB 2.0 devices require proprietary drivers and so will not work on Linux. Info required on class compliant devices, if any.

Alesis iO2 Express - 2×2 24-bit 48kHz interface with phantom power
Alesis iO4 - 4×4 interface with pre-amps and MIDI
Edirol UA-25EX (and UA-25) - 2×2 interface with pre-amps and MIDI
Focusrite Forte - May or may not work on Linux
Focusrite Scarlett - Range of interfaces with preamps
Komplete Audio 6 - 6×6 (4 analogue, 2 digital) USB 2.0 class compliant interface with 2 preamps
Lexicon Alpha - 2×2 interface with instrument, mic and line inputs
Lexicon Omega - 8x4x2 interface with MIDI
M-Audio Audiophile USB - 2×2 interface with MIDI
M-Audio Fast Track - 2×2 interface. One microphone, one instrument input
M-Audio Fast Track Pro - 4×4 interface with pre-amps and MIDI
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra - 8×8 interface with pre-amps and MIDI
M-Audio Fast Track C400/C600 - USB2.0 interfaces
M-Audio MobilePre USB - 2 x 2 16-bit/48kHz analog I/O w/ preamps
Mackie Onyx Blackjack - 2×2 with pre-amps
MOTU Microbook - Not supported on Linux
PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL 18×18 USB 2.0 interface
Prism Sound Lyra - USB 2.0 interfaces
RME Babyface - USB 2.0 2×4 (analog) plus ADAT, optical SPDIF, and MIDI
RME Fireface UCX USB/Firewire 18×18 (8 analog) and MIDI
Samson C01U - USB Studio Condenser microphone
Sound Devices USBPre 2 - 2×2 interface with pre-amps
Tascam US-800 - USB 2.0 8×6 interface
Zoom H4 - Handheld audio recorder that also works as an interface

gumtown

Have you tried the Linux ALSA audio/midi system?
Some Boss gear works with that.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

QuoteHave you tried the Linux ALSA audio/midi system?
Some Boss gear works with that.
No luck with ALSA Driver here.

The Linux  ALSA Driver was the referenced multi page discussion thread at LinuxMusician here

http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10104

admin

Aggraef wrote>

----
Hi all,

I've been lurking for quite some time here already, as I'm interested in all kinds of hex pickup and guitar to MIDI systems (I have a couple of those, the earliest one being a Korg Z3 from the 1980s), and obviously this forum is an invaluable resource on this topic. I recently grabbed a GP-10 before they go completely out of stock, and that's why I finally have something to contribute here myself. ;)

I'm running Linux, so I quickly found out that while USB MIDI works in Linux (apparently has been for a while), USB audio (i.e., the 24 bit 44.1 8x8 interface built into the device) wasn't, so I set out to fix it. Like various other Roland and Boss devices, the GP-10 audio interface isn't USB class compliant, but it's possible to make it work by adjusting the USB audio kernel driver. As luck would have it, Keith Milner had already contributed the necessary adjustments for various other similar Boss devices (like the GT-001). As of 5.11, this is already in the official Linux kernel. So in the end my task was actually quite easily to just add a corresponding device entry for the GP-10 to the right table (which has since been moved to sound/usb/implicit.c in the kernel source tree). I reported this change to Keith, who in turn kindly reported it to Takashi Iwai, the head ALSA developer, and I'm happy to report that Takashi already committed the change to his stable kernel tree in this commit.

Presumably that change will be in kernel 5.12, at which point the GP-10 will finally work OOTB in Linux, both MIDI and audio, yay! ;D That is, all 8x8 input and output channels are readily available in Linux, so that you can record all the strings separately in your DAW, do re-amping, etc., via the GP-10's built-in USB audio interface.

For those of you who know how to patch your Linux kernel and recompile it, you can make it work it right away by just applying the following patch to the source of the 5.11 kernel (the most recent stable version at the time of this writing):

diff --git a/sound/usb/implicit.c b/sound/usb/implicit.c
index e7216d0b860d8..11a85e66aa96d 100644
--- a/sound/usb/implicit.c
+++ b/sound/usb/implicit.c
@@ -73,6 +73,7 @@ static const struct snd_usb_implicit_fb_match playback_implicit_fb_quirks[] = {
/* No quirk for playback but with capture quirk (see below) */
IMPLICIT_FB_SKIP_DEV(0x0582, 0x0130), /* BOSS BR-80 */
IMPLICIT_FB_SKIP_DEV(0x0582, 0x0171),   /* BOSS RC-505 */
+ IMPLICIT_FB_SKIP_DEV(0x0582, 0x0185), /* BOSS GP-10 */
IMPLICIT_FB_SKIP_DEV(0x0582, 0x0189), /* BOSS GT-100v2 */
IMPLICIT_FB_SKIP_DEV(0x0582, 0x01d6), /* BOSS GT-1 */
IMPLICIT_FB_SKIP_DEV(0x0582, 0x01d8), /* BOSS Katana */
@@ -86,6 +87,7 @@ static const struct snd_usb_implicit_fb_match playback_implicit_fb_quirks[] = {
static const struct snd_usb_implicit_fb_match capture_implicit_fb_quirks[] = {
IMPLICIT_FB_FIXED_DEV(0x0582, 0x0130, 0x0d, 0x01), /* BOSS BR-80 */
IMPLICIT_FB_FIXED_DEV(0x0582, 0x0171, 0x0d, 0x01), /* BOSS RC-505 */
+ IMPLICIT_FB_FIXED_DEV(0x0582, 0x0185, 0x0d, 0x01), /* BOSS GP-10 */
IMPLICIT_FB_FIXED_DEV(0x0582, 0x0189, 0x0d, 0x01), /* BOSS GT-100v2 */
IMPLICIT_FB_FIXED_DEV(0x0582, 0x01d6, 0x0d, 0x01), /* BOSS GT-1 */
IMPLICIT_FB_FIXED_DEV(0x0582, 0x01d8, 0x0d, 0x01), /* BOSS Katana */

Please note that this patch will only work with Linux kernel 5.11, not 5.10 or earlier, as it relies on some changes that were just added very recently to the kernel.

I'm planning to do some computer music stuff using Pd (Pure Data)  with this amazing little device in the near future. My own software is all open-source and can be found through my personal GitHub page. Right now there's nothing specifically for the GP-10 there yet, but if you're interested in that kind of somewhat experimental computer science-y music stuff then you might want to watch that space for future developments. ;) (E.g., I already have a Pd patch for the Yamaha EZ-AG MIDI guitar from the 1990s there, which also works great with the GP-10 MIDI input.)

Best,
Albert Gräf
JGU Mainz, Germany

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30086.msg220065#msg220065

Learn PD ( Pure Data)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8726.msg62602#msg62602

pasha811

Recently I have connected GP10 to Raspberry Pi 4 with 8 GB RAM and Ardour was showing 8 audio tracks, it was 6 strings plus a stereo take. I have some issues with the DAW stability but midi and audio popped up without me doing anything in particular.
I guess that on an intel Linux box, you should be able to do the same. That works for me with raspberry os and Ubuntu for Raspberry with the latter with better results. I was also able to run Ubuntu from an USB3 port. Not ideal but way better than booting and working from an SD card. 8) Amazing little box.
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/