GP-10- Windows 10 driver

Started by jazzstudent, August 06, 2015, 08:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazzstudent

Has anyone seen a GP-10 driver for Windows 10?

Elantric

Rev_M

According to Roland/BOSS, they are investigating/testing/wondering what to do. I.E. There is no Windows 10 driver yet.

I installed Windows 10 and, not surprisingly, connectivity to the GP-10 disappeared. I then uninstalled the existing driver (used under Windows 7) and have tried to reinstall the GP-10 drivers for Windows 7 & 8. The Windows 7 driver does not install. The Windows 8 driver installs up to the point where it asks to have the GP-10 plugged in and turned on. It is supposed to detect the device (which Win 10 sees and id's) and continue the driver installation. Instead, the process hangs.

It looks like those of us on the bleeding edge will have to wait for Roland/BOSS to release a GP-10 driver for Windows 10.

...Back to programming from the front panel (reminds me of my 1st computer programming experience almost 40 years ago).

Cheers...

Elantric

Don't Upgrade to Windows 10 unless you want a 2 month vacation from making music.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9763.msg112488#msg112488

Rev_M

I fired off an email to BOSS customer support for whatever it's worth to grouse about the Windows 10 incompatibility.  If everyone with a stake did the same. . . ?

gumbo

Quote from: Rev_M on August 08, 2015, 01:18:52 AM
I fired off an email to BOSS customer support for whatever it's worth to grouse about the Windows 10 incompatibility.  If everyone with a stake did the same. . . ?

...they would probably STILL ignore it..      :P
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Elantric

Agreed, Roland ships no updates "until it's time" traditionally this has been 3-6 months after major Windows updates - just do a search here for

"VG-99 USB Driver for Win7"

It took a year for Roland to release a working USB driver

Which raises another point. Don't be surprised if Roland leaves discontinued gear (VG-99 /VB-99 ) without updated USB Drivers or compatible updated VG-99 Librarian /Editor.

I have a perfectly good Roland Juno G keyboard that is now useless with modern Win /OSX.

It's typical for MUSIC gear to become "non usable", simply  due to lack of USB Driver for today's flavor of Windows or OSX. , which now have shorter shelf live / lifespan. It's a given that Every Summer brings a new version of OSX.

Im confident Microsoft wants to follow Apples path, i. e. annual OS version updates from now on, I bet we hear Microsoft wants us all to upgrade to Windows 11 in 2017.

MichiganMike

I can see two sides of this coin.

Boss/Roland Development group don't even start looking to update drivers due to an OS change, until the OS manufacturer has released a RTM version, and there's a prioritization. While that *may* be the actual scenario, in all likelihood that's just part of it.

From the user perspective, I don't want to be held up by OEMs who don't want to update their drivers in a timely (to users) manner. Of course digital media enthusiasts and professionals are at the bleeding edge, and it's very perplexing why music device manufactures are not. (I could wax lyrical on this point but wont).

Ultimately, its a choice of the OEM to update their drivers and they (BOSS/Roland specifically) do not prioritize these updates when Beta or RTM versions are available. They *appear* to wait.

Well guess what BOSS/Roland ... it's not working for those of us who keep you in business.

----
私は、

このコインの 2 つの側面を見ることができます。

BOSS/Roland 開発グループは、OS のメーカーは、RTM ソフトウェアのバージョンをリリースしました、優先順位付けまで OS の変更のためのドライバーの更新をも起動しないでください。中にいる * 5 月 * する実際のシナリオでは、だけは、すべての可能性でそれの一部。

ユーザーの観点から、(ユーザー) にタイムリーに、ドライバーを更新したくない OEM によって保持するしたくないです。もちろんデジタル メディア愛好家や専門家、出血エッジとデバイス メーカーが音楽ではない理由、それは非常にややこしい。(私が叙情詩であるこのポイントが文句を言わない)。

最終的には、それは、ドライバーと彼らを更新する OEM の選択 (BOSS/Roland 具体的) ベータ版や RTM バージョンが利用できる場合、これらの更新プログラムを優先しないでください。彼ら * 表示 * を待ちます。

どのようなBOSS/Roland... まあビジネスを維持する人逹のために働いていません。
Godin xtSA, 1978 Fender Telecaster, Martin XC1T, Gibson Dobro, Trailwood Acoustic Bass
TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Antares ATG-1, Boss GP-10, BeatBuddy,  Focusrite, MOTU, FL-Studio Producer (all licenses)

Elantric

Be aware with Windows 10, there remain serious issues for pro audio users   - as reported by Steinberg here

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=226&t=83587&start=75
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=226&t=83587

QuoteRe: Windows 10 - please do not upgrade! Discussion
Postby sonicstate » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:05 pm
Ed Doll wrote:
We discovered a serious issue for Audio/MIDI applications on Windows 10. After some time (a few seconds or a few minutes) audio recording or playback will contain noise (drop outs).
Steinberg Cubase 8 application shows this usually after a few seconds.

During our analysis we discovered the following behaviour of Windows 10:
The Windows MMCSS services will get disabled for any audio application when the user interacts with the computer. As a result the audio processing/streaming threads get suddenly the same importance as non time critical programs. Frequent audio drop outs will start to happen. We observed that moving windows and switching between running applications will result in this issue.

We currently work with Microsoft to investigate and hopefully soon resolve the issue.

Yes, now I noticed something similar on my setup. When I start cubase, all runs smooth as long as focus stays on cubase. Then if I switch to another window (like file explorer), and back to cubase, I get spikes even if I just move mouse over the project. Restarting cubase helps. Or opening empty project in parallel, activating it and the reactivating previous project - VST performance meter is back to normal. It is annoyance, I hope it is fixed soon.
Otherwise win10 works great, much smoother than win7 before. Cubase UI is also better, no borders around windows, so you can stack windows to each other without those ugly thick lines. Win10 fells so much better than win7, that I will not go back to win7 although there is above described annoyance.

These issues with Windows 10 persist, regardless what type ASIO Audio interface is being employed ( Yamaha, Roland, RME, Focusrite, Presonus, MOTU) 

MichiganMike

Yet, Image-Line anticipated this and had a fix out the day after Window 10 was "formally released". I agree, not apples-to-apples, but darn close enough. I use MOTO, ASIO4ALL, Focusrite (USB 2 products) and all work just fine in Windows 10 as does Adobe Audition, Adobe Prelude, FL-Studio. The TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3 & Extreme drivers work in Windows 10.

Roland/Boss drivers it seems, have an issue with Windows 10 ... as do other OEMs ... and to what end, who knows for sure? It simply doesn't make sense when all of the technical changes to the Windows 10 audio processing layers were available to OEMs over a year ago to start working on creating W10 compatible drivers.

In my mind, the problem isn't with Windows 10. I put the responsibility square on the shoulders of the OEMs who haven't done enough yet. Indeed, upgrading to Windows 10 will cause an issue as discussed here, but don't blame MS (although I blame them a lot for poor execution), in this case everyone had ample access to the technical aspects of Windows 10 and if the willingness were there, all of this BS could have been avoided.
Godin xtSA, 1978 Fender Telecaster, Martin XC1T, Gibson Dobro, Trailwood Acoustic Bass
TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Antares ATG-1, Boss GP-10, BeatBuddy,  Focusrite, MOTU, FL-Studio Producer (all licenses)

MichiganMike

Workaround - I have a no-longer-used Laptop that I'm staging right now with Windows 8.1. This may cause me to stop complaining :-)

Jim Williams

Here is a driver that I have edited to work with Windows 10 with ideas from other members on this forum. Use it at your own risk I have not tried it yet! If you are brave enough to try it and you wish to be the guinea pig please let me know how it goes.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

MichiganMike

Jim,

That's very "stand-up"  of you to give it a whirl.
I tried it and unfortunately, it won't install on Windows 10 x64 Build 10240, and instructs to uninstall.

Thanks,
Mike

Jim Williams

try installing the original unaffected driver and it should run the uninstall program. If you have any trouble do a restore....

slooky

surprised to see the Roland Duo-Capture EX has updated to Windows 10

Jim Williams

I think before diving into you read the user agreement very carefully. It will shock you how much of your right to privacy will be taken away from you just by checking "I agree". Don't worry about drivers, worry about Windows 10.

beluga

Ok, I found the forum yday since I was looking how to run my GP-10 on W10 and registered to be able to download the patch above. I solved the issue before getting approved and since there seem to be some issues maybe this is of help to someone :)
I will not post files so there is no risk of virus etc. It is fairly straight forward but of course do this at your own risk and please don't blame me if something goes wrong...

1. Get the driver from here: http://www.bossus.com/products/gp-10/downloads/
2. Uncompress the archive...
3. Locate the file 'RDIF1147.INF' in a path along the lines of: '...\gp10_wind_v100\Files\Win881\Files\64bit\Files' (select 32 bit if that's the Windows you are using)
4. Open this file with Notepad or Wordpad and look for the line '[Roland.NTamd64.7]' towards the top. It should have an entry 'not supported' underneath.
5. Now replace the 'not supported' line with the one from '[Roland.NTamd64.6.2]' just above. It should be something like '%RDID0147DeviceDesc%=RDID0147Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_0185 ; GP-10'
6. Save the file.

Ok what you did so far is ENABLING Windows 10+ support in the driver installer, which Roland deliberately disabled for some reason... We are good in theory, however the file has been digitally signed (to protect you) and since we messed around with it Windows will refuse to install it. Therefore you need to do an advanced Restart while Disabling Driver Signing. Please follow this illustrated guide how to do that: http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/ (in case the link goes bad, google for 'windows 10 disable driver signing')

7. Once you are restarted with driver signing disabled find the 'RDIF1147.INF. file again.
8. Right click and Select 'Install'

It should now install and your GP-10 should work just fine. Mine got recognized by the patch editor and as an ASIO sound device.

It might be a good idea to Restart once again and Re-Enable Driver signing to make it harder for malicious code to take over your system.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Elantric

Welcome to the forum- thanks -(been mentioned before here)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9763.msg113318#msg113318

However the good news is that work around is no longer required, The official Roland/Boss USB Drivers for Windows 10 installation procedure is now working  - read the latest news below
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11568.msg114547#msg114547

beluga

Well, since it didn't show up in my previous searches, the Roland thing didn't work as of yday, and this wasted lots of my time maybe it saves someone the trouble anyway ;)

Jim Williams

OK, we have Windows 10 drivers for the GP-10 and the GR-55. first uninstall the old drivers. Next update to Windows 10. Then plug in your device and the new driver will install from update. There is no more going to Roland for the driver download Windows 10 does it all for you. If you have already updated to Windows 10 just connect your device to USB and Windows will do the rest.

jazzstudent

Problems installing the Windows 10 driver for the GP10.  When I try to uninstall the old driver, I get a message that

"The operating system you are using is not supported.  Please check the supported operating systems. The program has been terminated."

I have been running Windows 10 since it was released.  Does anyone know how to uninstall the old GP-10 drivers so that I can get the new ones installed?

Thanks for your help,
Bill

Jim Williams

I don't think you need to uninstall, Windows should do all the work for you. I am not sure you may have to run the uninstaller from the setup folder or the add/remove programs. I waited until Roland had drivers and uninstalled before I upgraded.

DJW

I know that this is an older post (and I'm new to this forum) but  . . .
I just got a new GP-10.  I spent my entire Saturday and then till 1:00 am trying to get connected to either my Mac (with Yosemite 10.10.5) or with my Laptop (with Windows 10).  I have an older 64 bit computer with Windows 7 and I got it work with that (so I got to upload some great patches), but  . . . Can't get it to work in my studio where all my music stuff is!  (Wanting to set it up to use it live).  Don't know if it's me being stupid or what.   thought I got it to work for a few minutes on the Mac (downloaded the driver for 10.10.5 and it installed).  Seemed to work for a few minutes then said no driver.  I was ready to start throwing stuff through the window!  I've read everything that Boss/Roland has to say and none of it works.  Very, very, very frustrated.  Extra frustrated with the Mac as well because those things are supposed to work with everything and be brainless.  Not so. 

I also have a GR-55, GI-10 with JV-1080 with 4 X Expansion (that old thing is great!)
GP-10, GR-55, Old JV1080 w/4X Expansion, GI-10, GK-3's, GK-2's

admin

Roland does provide a download link to a detailed instruction manual suggest read it and follow the Windows 10  driver manual installation procedure detailed there

A copy is here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11568.msg114548#msg114548

MountainCraft

This is apparently still an issue, regardless of BOSS?Roland's claims to the contrary on their website...

Doesn't automatically install the drivers when GP-10 is connected, nor when the UM ONE is connected..

Anyone ever find any drivers that can be installed manually to allow W10 to communicate with the GP-10 or UM ONE?
(I think they're the same driver)