PRIMOVA - GKFX-21 - Enhanced Subsonic Filter with many other features

Started by CodeSmart, July 22, 2015, 03:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeSmart

Quote from: maan108 on September 15, 2015, 12:42:19 AM
Hello !
I'm interested to this product but I didn't found info about it on Primovasound site (price, order, payment method etc.). Can you address me for these info ?
Many thanks !
Maan108
I'm lazy and only update the homepage when there's leftovers not found their way home to nice people here on the forum.
Drop me a mail at sound@primova.se and I'll put you in the list  8)
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

hoaithang

Quote from: CodeSmart on September 06, 2015, 03:04:34 PM
Just put together the first eight. I'm always a little bit proud of my small babies.
Everything is hand-made with hearth, soul, love and affection.
I hate to see them go away  :-[ 
But soon I have to let them go, just going to test each of them thoroughly 100%.

Looking very good

hoaithang

Quote from: hoaithang on September 15, 2015, 05:04:44 PM

Looking very good
Quote from: CodeSmart on September 06, 2015, 03:04:34 PM
Just put together the first eight. I'm always a little bit proud of my small babies.
Everything is hand-made with hearth, soul, love and affection.
I hate to see them go away  :-[ 
But soon I have to let them go, just going to test each of them thoroughly 100%.

bigdough

Question for CodeSmart and for all the geeks hanging around: would this GKFX-21 do any good if used with the GP-10? I'm asking because, if I remember well, it has been said that the GP-10 doesn't need a subsonic filter...
I'm just wondering if the box could help to solve these:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16324.0 or these: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16000.0 kind of problems.
I have a Parker Fly equipped with a custom RMC, so piezo plus wommy bar, also have a VG-99 and a GP-10; now, there's a patch I love on the 99 which is basically a compressed hi pitch 12 string with a bass sound on the two bottom strings, so I recreated a similar patch on the GP-10 and it goes wildly out of tune specially on the third and forth strings, so first of all I wonder if we're talking about the same thing of the links above. I even checked with another unit and it behave exacly the same way, so there's nothing wrong with the unit itself, on the other hand my VG (which stays perfectly in tune with exactly the same guitar/setup) is equipped with the RMC filter...
Hope I managed to make myself clear enough; anyway, if the answer is yes then I'll have to order this other little box of wonder...
Very best to you all!

CodeSmart

Quote from: bigdough on October 01, 2015, 08:22:27 AM
Question for CodeSmart and for all the geeks hanging around: would this GKFX-21 do any good if used with the GP-10? I'm asking because, if I remember well, it has been said that the GP-10 doesn't need a subsonic filter...
I'm just wondering if the box could help to solve these:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16324.0 or these: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16000.0 kind of problems.
I have a Parker Fly equipped with a custom RMC, so piezo plus wommy bar, also have a VG-99 and a GP-10; now, there's a patch I love on the 99 which is basically a compressed hi pitch 12 string with a bass sound on the two bottom strings, so I recreated a similar patch on the GP-10 and it goes wildly out of tune specially on the third and forth strings, so first of all I wonder if we're talking about the same thing of the links above. I even checked with another unit and it behave exacly the same way, so there's nothing wrong with the unit itself, on the other hand my VG (which stays perfectly in tune with exactly the same guitar/setup) is equipped with the RMC filter...
Hope I managed to make myself clear enough; anyway, if the answer is yes then I'll have to order this other little box of wonder...
Very best to you all!

Have you tried a GK-3 guitar with these patches?

bigdough

Quote from: CodeSmart on October 01, 2015, 11:13:40 PM
Have you tried a GK-3 guitar with these patches?
Nope, don't have one. But I just checked it again more attentively and found that the phenomenon occurs on the fourth string (D) only when played together with the fifth one: it might well be that the D saddle gets vibration from the string above as there's no more complete insulation between the piezo signal of the two, and D string gets crazy...
Nothing you can notice with any of the COSM modeling but with Alt tunings, which gets even magnified if 12 string switch is also on.
Then, everything's fine with the 99, but that's a different machine, a different world, after all.
I'll go deeper with it and let you know.

CodeSmart

Quote from: bigdough on October 02, 2015, 01:17:08 AM
Nope, don't have one. But I just checked it again more attentively and found that the phenomenon occurs on the fourth string (D) only when played together with the fifth one: it might well be that the D saddle gets vibration from the string above as there's no more complete insulation between the piezo signal of the two, and D string gets crazy...
Nothing you can notice with any of the COSM modeling but with Alt tunings, which gets even magnified if 12 string switch is also on.
Then, everything's fine with the 99, but that's a different machine, a different world, after all.
I'll go deeper with it and let you know.

I can borrow you a Filter to try, later when I have shipped to the guys on the list...

bigdough

Wow! That's very generous from you, CodeSmart! Meanwhile I'll do more tests, it's now clear that the malfunctioning happens only with the D string and only if played in a double stop with the string above it, I suspect it's something related with the piezo... More soon then, and thank you.

CodeSmart

Shipping a GKFX-21 from my remote area in Sweden over the Atlantic ocean to New York City took 2 days.
My customer lives 3 miles from USPS NYC postal facility 34'th street...took almost two weeks before he received it in a terrible state.
I'm not very impressed....

vtgearhead

gumbo

I'm convinced that Australia Post has somewhere in their system (?) a two-inch high slot which everything passes through..and ahead of that, a machine that makes sure everything is able to pass through the slot...

..my personal record was ..London,UK to Melbourne,Australia..5 days   ...Melbourne to Adelaide,Australia (about another 500 miles), a further 10 days..

...and now our postal system is wanting to put all their prices up because they are making a loss..   ::)

..sigh!
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

JeffTronics

Hi CodeSmart. Just wanted to thank you for keeping me on the list - I received your email and I sent my payment via PayPal as instructed. Looking forward to your great product. JeffTronics

CodeSmart

Quote from: JeffTronics on October 14, 2015, 01:32:08 AM
Hi CodeSmart. Just wanted to thank you for keeping me on the list - I received your email and I sent my payment via PayPal as instructed. Looking forward to your great product. JeffTronics
No worries it will posted tomorrow morning. Check your e-mail.
I've been building 16 units and there's still people on the list  :P
Also the list for GKPX-14 and MIDX-10 is a challenge. When can I take a rest? Love you guys, keeping me excited and going.
I also have a few new ideas for new products popping up...

Headless68

CodeSmart

JeffTronics

@CodeSmart...Yesterday was a good day for me! I received my GKFX-21. Thank you. I will admit, I had no idea what I've been missing because I previously did not have a buffer. So, this device as made a world of difference for me. The mixer opens up additional possibilities for me.

The packaged arrived in great shape.

Thanks,

Jeff

CodeSmart

Quote from: JeffTronics on October 20, 2015, 08:18:15 AM
@CodeSmart...Yesterday was a good day for me! I received my GKFX-21. Thank you. I will admit, I had no idea what I've been missing because I previously did not have a buffer. So, this device as made a world of difference for me. The mixer opens up additional possibilities for me.

Thanks Jeff. Guys like you make the thinking, designing and soldering worth the time spent :)

GuitarBuilder

I just got mine today in the mail after an 8,800 km journey.  It looks fantastic, Robert!  I cannot emphasize enough what a great service and range of products you provide.  You are awesome!
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

JeffTronics

Hello. Just sharing an experience I had; I was still having ghost note issues with my Godin even when using the GKFX filter buffer. It works great on my Strat using the GK pickup. I have a Godin, LGX-SA, with LR Baggs pickup, made in 2000. I noticed even with the filter buffer, if I just tapped the guitar, it would trigger notes.

I realize even on this forum everything there is to know about the GR-55 setup is probably already written somewhere but perhaps in my case (late bloomer with guitar synth), this is will worth sharing/repeating.

Following a recommendation to check my string Sensitivity settings. At first I didn't give this thought because I thought the higher the better. Not so. I set each string to zero and noticed an immediate improvement, especially with the Piano patches. I increased each string's sensitivity to achieve a good balance but nowhere near the 50 percent level they were previously at. I then did an A/B comparison with the GKFX-21 filter and noticed even better tracking with it.

All is good, and CodeSmart, thanks again for a great product.

CodeSmart

The GKFX-21 combining a subsonic filter with various jacks and mixer stage allowing regular guitar into GR-55 has been very popular. For the first time I have had a company factory-mount the SMD components to reducera my working hours. I still do the hole-thru 13-pin connectors and the I/O guitar jacks manually. This is the fourth revision of the board and I hope to receive them soon. New enclosures are also in the pipe.

I've realized my time is limited and that the product is "mature", hence I went ahead with pre-fab'd boards. I hope to be able to provide a larger and sufficient number of units to clear the waiting list early 2016.

Yesterday I also added the GFX-21 and MIDX-10 to my homepage http://www.primovasound.com

Thanks for all positive feedback I have received  :)

Autana

My GKFX-21 is already on the way! thanks Rob.  Maybe not on time under the Xmas tree, but doubtless the wait will be worth it.  I'll use it mainly for cure my XTSA (RMC piezo old Polytone-X ) subsonic issue with GR-55. 
Maybe I will test it too in my GP-10, but fortunately, and I must admit unexpectedly, my Godin XTSA is performing so well on synths like or GR-300 patchs with my GP-10, no false triggering or ghost notes, at least a lot less than the mess on GR-55! ...wondering improved filtering in GP-10 over GR-55?
Below a little test from each playing GR-300 patch with my XTSA (this test will be complete on arrive of GKFX-21)

GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

CodeSmart

Incredible, they sent the boards from China on Friday and today Monday they are here.
My first boards produced elsewhere and they look very tidy. I just have to solder the connectors myself  ;D
I certainly hope they work well. I will do a full frequency response analysis a.s.a.p.

CodeSmart

Wow, the frequency response  is perfect and as expected with this type of Butterworth filter and components.
Just picked a random board from the box  ;D

For you guys wondering what the heck you see, is that low frequency stuff (rumble, low frequency noise, palm mute stuff etc.) lower than 75, 50 and 25 Hz (depending on guitar string) will be removed from the hex signals.

Frequency is on the X-axis and magnitude is on the Y-axis. There are only three basic curves because E and A share a similar filter, D and G share a similar filter and H and E share the same filter type. Each pair is so close in characteristic that they overwrite themselves on the shown plot.

Ha-Ha !!!

CodeSmart

Quote from: Autana on December 20, 2015, 03:31:18 PM
Maybe I will test it too in my GP-10, but fortunately, and I must admit unexpectedly, my Godin XTSA is performing so well on synths like or GR-300 patchs with my GP-10, no false triggering or ghost notes, at least a lot less than the mess on GR-55! ...wondering improved filtering in GP-10 over GR-55?
Below a little test from each playing GR-300 patch with my XTSA (this test will be complete on arrive of GKFX-21)

Autana, your samples where really worth listening to. What a huge difference between GR-55 and GP-10!!! It will be really interesting to know if the GKFX-21 makes any difference. I don't have a XTSA myself so I have never had a chance to hear the stuff. I only have GK guitars. However when I made a  filter that was programmable ( it's in the pipe for an upcoming project ) I actually could improve piano tracking on my GR-55 even with a GK by highering the cut cut-off frequency on the lower strings compare to the GKFX-21. I guess the GP-10 already have some software or hardware filter on the hex input, so I'm not expecting you to get much better than you just showed on that one. We'll see  :)