New - Boss DD-500 Digital Delay

Started by mchad, July 08, 2015, 02:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchad

I don't know about you guys but digital delay is just about my desert island effect.

Boss are continuing to ramp it up.

Boss DD-500 Digital Delay
http://www.bossus.com/products/dd-500/

Studio-level stereo sound with 32-bit/96 kHz processing throughout
12 versatile delay modes from vintage to modern deliver unlimited creative possibilities
Unrivaled real-time expression with customizable control settings for onboard and external switches
Graphic LCD for easy, intuitive operation while performing and editing
Onboard patch memories and hands-on controls
Equipped with a built-in Phrase Looper, MIDI, USB, and more
Selectable buffered or true-bypass operation
Runs on four AA-size batteries or PSA-series AC adapter

Twelve Versatile Delay Modes and Deep Editing Options

With the DD-500's 12 delay modes, you can create any delay sound you can imagine, and then some. Everything you need is here, from warm, gritty vintage delays and tape echo to complex modern delay lines that employ pitch shifting, filtering, and other unique processing. With the hands-on knobs, it's easy to shape essential parameters and create great sounds immediately. Each delay type also includes a semi-parametric four-band EQ, modulation, ducking, and many other parameters, allowing you to dive deep and refine tones with maximum precision.

Unparalleled Sound Quality

In the DD-500, every delay mode has been carefully crafted for a unique sonic personality and highly musical tones at every setting, realized by 32-bit/96 kHz processing throughout. And while the DD-500's delay effects are high-end digital, your straight guitar tone remains 100-percent analog at all times, with your choice of buffered or true-bypass operation. In addition to strengthening the analog dry signal, buffered bypass has the added benefit of enabling carryover, so delay trails are not cut off unnaturally when the effect is switched.

Advanced Features for Stage and Studio Use

In the world of sophisticated delay stomps, the DD-500 stands alone in practical usability. The large, integrated LCD fully supports the pedal's immense capabilities, giving you clear visibility of delay time, patch ID, and more on one screen, plus sane navigation for detailed parameter tweaks, naming, and system management. And via USB, it's simple to connect to your computer for patch backup and MIDI I/O opens up many additional control options with advanced setups such as a pedal board incorporating BOSS Effect Switching System ES-8.

Intensive Real-Time Control

With its freely assignable controls, the DD-500 delivers unmatched creative expression and performance flexibility. By default, the A, B, and TAP/CTL switches offer intuitive control for two patches, bypass, bank selection, tap tempo, and more. However, they can be customized to operate in alternate ways, such as providing top-level access to three different delay patches, or allowing you to use two patches at once for layered delay sounds. Instead of tap tempo, you're able to assign the TAP/CTL switch to various real-time functions like Warp or Twist for a wide range of expressive effects. Even more parameters can be manipulated via an optional expression pedal or external switches, and MIDI I/O opens up many additional control options with advanced setups.

DD-500 Delay Modes

•Standard—Clear digital delay.
•Analog—Emulates classic analog "BBD" delays like the BOSS DM series.
•Tape—Emulates the warm sound of tape-based delay units, including the Maestro Echoplex and legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo.
•Vintage Digital—Emulations of early digital delays from the 1980s, including Roland's famous SDE-2000 and SDE-3000 rack units and the BOSS DD-2, the original stompbox digital delay.
•Dual—Two different delay lines that can be connected in series or parallel.
•Pattern—Sixteen different delay lines that can be set independently for all types of unique rhythmic effects.
•Reverse—Backwards delay for cool psychedelic effects and other unique tones.
•SFX—"Special effects" delay with a highly unique sound character.
•Shimmer—Pitch-shifted delays for lush, heavenly textures.
•Filter—Delay with a sweeping filter.
•Slow Attack—Ethereal delays that fade in with playing dynamics.
•Tera Echo—Spacious, animated ambience effect derived from the innovative BOSS TE-2 pedal.

DD-500 Assignable Control Functions

The following functions can be assigned to the DD-500's onboard TAP/CTL switch and/or optional external footswitches. These assignments are stored as part of a patch.

•Tap—Set the delay in time with a song's tempo.
•Hold—The delay's feedback is held continuously while the switch is pressed.
•Warp—Increases the delay's feedback and level simultaneously for powerful expressive effects.
•Twist—Adjusts multiple delay parameters with a single press, creating wild sounds similar to twisting the panel knobs in real time.
•Moment—Outputs the delay sound only when you hold down the switch.
•Roll 1/2—Cuts the delay time to 1/2 of the current setting when you hold down the switch.
•Roll 1/4—Cuts the delay time to 1/4 of the current setting when you hold down the switch.
•Roll 1/8—Cuts the delay time to 1/8 of the current setting when you hold down the switch.
•Fade In—Fades in the delay sound.
•Fade Out—Fades out the delay sound.
•Assign 1-8—Allows you to assign and control up to eight different delay parameters at once.

SPECIFICATIONS
Sampling Frequency96 kHz
AD/DA Conversion32 bits
Processing 32-bit floating point

Delay Modes12 modes
STANDARD
ANALOG
TAPE
VINTAGE DIGITAL
DUAL
PATTERN
REVERSE
TERA ECHO
SLOW ATTACK
FILTER
SHIMMER
SFX
Maximum delay time10 sec.(depends on delay mode)
Phrase loop 60 sec. (96 kHz/MONO, 48 kHz/STEREO) 120 sec. (48 kHz/MONO) Delay can be applied.

Patches 198 (99 banks x 2 [ A ] [ B ]), 297 (99 banks x 3 [ A ] [ B ] [ C ])
Pedals Foot switch x 3 [ A ][ B ][TAP/CTL]
Knobs
MODE
TIME/VALUE
FEEDBACK
E.LEVEL
TONE
MOD DEPTH
DisplayGraphic LCD (128 x 62 dots, backlit LCD) x 1
Nominal Input Level INPUT A/MONO, B: -10 dBu
Maximum Input LevelINPUT A/MONO, B: +8 dBu
Input Impedance INPUT A/MONO, B: 1 M ohm
Nominal Output Level OUTPUT A/MONO, B: -10 dBu
Maximum Output Level OUTPUT A/MONO, B: +8 dBu
Output Impedance OUTPUT A/MONO, B: 2 k ohms
Recommended Load Impedance OUTPUT A/MONO, B: 20 k ohms or greater
Bypass Buffered bypass or True bypass (with relays)
Connectors INPUT A/MONO, B jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
OUTPUT A/MONO, B jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
CTL 1,2/EXP jack: 1/4-inch TSR phone type
USB COMPUTER port: USB type B USB-MIDI
MIDI (IN, OUT) connectors
DC IN jack
Power Supply Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4
AC adaptor Current Draw200 mA
Expected battery life under continuous use (These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.)Alkaline: Approx. 7 hours
Accessories Owner's manual
Leaflet "USING THE UNIT SAFELY"
Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4Options (sold separately)
AC adaptor: PSA series
Footswitch: BOSS FS-5U, FS-5L
Dual Footswitch: BOSS FS-6, FS-7
Expression Pedal: BOSS FV-500H, FV-500L, Roland EV-5
SIZE AND WEIGHT Width 170 mm
6-3/4 inches Depth 138 mm
5-7/16 inches Height 62 mm
2-1/2 inches Weight(excluding AC Adaptor) 1.0 g
2 lbs 4 oz.

imerkat

Well they have my attention! now it's all about the price point.

Jim Williams

They have also released a new reverb pedal the RV6 and it has some great new Reverb sounds.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

thebrushwithin

New generation of advanced delay pedal with exceptional sound quality and immense creativity.

All sound is recorded with the DD-500. (except drums and bass tracks.)

DD-500 delay modes and functions used in the track.

1. Dual (Analog Mod) 00:00
2. Dual (Tape) 00:14
3. Tera Echo (on the E-Bow melody) 00:29
4. Analog (with Warp control) 00:43
5. Vintage Digital SDE-3000 (hard panned) 00:51
6. Pattern (with Roll control) 01:13
7. Pattern (with Twist control) 01:42

Composed by Madarász Gábor

http://www.boss.info/products/dd-500/

Elantric

If only the USB Port was 24bit Audio USB CLASS COMPLIANT - then this could double as an Ipad Audio /MIDI interface for BIAS FX !

but not holding my breath!

Boss DD-500 Owners Manual
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/DD-500_e01_W.pdf

Boss DD-500 MIDI IMPLEMENTATION
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/DD-500_MIDI_Imple_e01_W.pdf

Boss DD-500 Added Parameters Owners Manual
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/DD-500_l_add_je01_W.pdf

Boss DD-500 USB Drivers / Firmware
https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/dd-500/updates_drivers/

mchad

Quote from: imerkat on July 08, 2015, 04:41:50 AM
Well they have my attention! now it's all about the price point.

Music Radar's news grab was quoting 285 UK pounds. 

I had my eye on a Pigtronix Echolution 2 Deluxe but I might wait and see on this DD500.

Elantric

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boss-rv-6-and-dd-550.1595591/page-4

QuoteSweetwater rep just emailed to say they expect them in October 7, 2015.

My Sweetwater rep confirmed the October shipping date. He said their in house Roland / Boss rep wasn't aware of any dealers getting these before October.

Elantric

Elantric

Quote$299USD Not bad at all.

Agreed - (which upsets the UK/EU  / OZ folks who must pay 35% more

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/boss-dd-500-digital-delay-pedal-guitar-effects-pedal

£259.00 =  $397.82 USD
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS441US441&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=1 USD to GBP

slooky

sounds really nice from the video, wonder what the shimmer is like? hmmm ;D

mchad

Elantric

GuitarBuilder

Looks impressive - I wonder how it stacks up against TC Electronic Flashback 4, Visual Sound Dual Tap Delay, Eventide TimeFactor, and Hardwire Supernatural pedals.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Elantric

Spider

I have one. It can be true bypass or DSP bypass with spilover (on/off inside patch, with settings of fade time).
I will try USB tonight.

Elantric

When Poland gets all the new high tech guitar toys a month before we can here in the USA   - I swear this verifies I live in a third world country ;)

Spider

Spider

USB: only MIDI but it works in two modes Vendor or Generic = USB Class Complaint.
Very very interesting and creative are Boss "as always" 8 assignments with sources like usual (wave pedal too) and Input too -- lower input trigger something/ higher trigger sth different.

Every algorithm has ducking settings, modulation settings, EQ section (could be OFF), wet and dry pan.

Elantric

QuoteUSB: only MIDI but it works in two modes Vendor or Generic =USB Class Complaint.

FINALLY!!!  :)

Now we can hack an iPad controller for the DD500 , and use it with a USB Powered Hub with other MIDI over USB gear - like Eventide H9,  Sonuus Volum, Zoom G3, Zoom MS-50, MS-80

Time to revisit the Raspberry PI as basis for a Pedal board

polaris20

My review of the DD-500; unfortunately I didn't have recording gear with me at the time for clips, but I really dug it.

DD-500

Elantric

Any news of the actual shipping date for DD500 yet?

polaris20

Quote from: Elantric on September 02, 2015, 12:32:33 PM
Any news of the actual shipping date for DD500 yet?

My shop already has one. They're definitely trickling out.

Now_And_Then

Boss DD-500 Manual: http://1drv.ms/1i2Awj5  (I looked but I don't think that anyone has posted this link or anything similar here.)

(This was originally uploaded and the link originally posted by "Guitarist1969" at The Gear Page, on http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boss-dd-500-questions-tips-tricks-and-solutions.1614316/page-2 - so big thanks to him.)

I was very interested in this until I looked at the manual and (as far as I can tell) saw that the LFO waveshape had only sine, triangle, saw. I am still interested but the lack of a square wave, like the Korg SDD3000 or Pigtronix Echolution 2, is a problem.  (Edit: the "square wave" in the Echolution 2 is not actually a square wave. I don't what kind of waveform it is, but I know what it isn't, and it isn't a square wave. This is very unfortunate, as far as I am concerned.)

Kind of disappointing. I will still be looking into this, though. It still seems to be very capable, and reasonably priced.