GT-100 input calibration patch

Started by gumtown, August 27, 2014, 02:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

Here is a patch originally written by Ricig from GT Central Forums days.
It uses the Assigns input level to measure the peak threshold needed to trigger on the FV (Exp pedal led) effect.

You select the patch and then go to your system setting for "input level" and strum/pick has hard as you would play,
and set the input level of the GT-100 low enough to only just trigger the led on transient peaks.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

binbinhfr

This patch is a very good idea for a problem I wish to solve : setting a correct input level for the GT 001.

I tested it on my brand new GT 001 and had to set the input to +3dB to lit the PEDAL LED on transients.

Then I had the idea to use my DAW to record the dry signal (secondary input) to see the wav form/shape of the dry signal and detect potential clipping.

I was then suprised to see that the signal was very small (around -8db). There seemed to be room for more input gain.

I tried to increase the input gain, and the waveform grows without clipping. I pushed the input to +10dB to have a full waveform hitting around -2dB in my DAW.

And I cannot hear (or see) any clipping artifacts.

So finally I suppose that this calibration patch (as it is) is not so good to "maximize" the input level of your GT001 :
the problem with the INPUT LEVEL source is that is does not reach 127 when the digital input signal is at 0dB. It's more around -9dB...

By the way, I noticed that there is another parameter in the game : the "ASSIGN COMMON SENS" which describes the INPUT LEVEL SOURCE sensitivity. If you lower this value, you will see that the CALIBRATE PATCH "clipping" will occur at higher input levels, showing that there is still room for more level...

So to fine tune the input level for your guitar, I suggest using a DAW and looking at the recorded dry signal (secondary input).

But if you change the ASSIGN COMMON SENS from 50 to 40, you can still use the CALIBRATE patch and have fairly good result, getting a hotter (limited to -3dB in the digital output). That's what I'm doing now.