Started by vanceg, August 26, 2008, 11:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Read, watch and Learn
https://www.earlevel.com/main/

Learn about DSP Simulation considerations for emulating Tube Amplifiers

https://www.earlevel.com/main/2017/05/26/guitar-amp-simulation/

Digital Larry

While I wouldn't put the Spin FV-1 DSP chip in competition for creating a digital amp/modeler, it's pretty good at reverbs, delays, modulated delays, resonant state-variable 2-pole and 1-pole shelving filters, etc.  It does polyphonic pitch shifting but it doesn't sound all that great, especially when shifting up.  The FV-1 was primarily designed by Keith Barr of MXR/Alesis fame, who sadly passed away about 12 years ago. 

However:
  • The FV-1 is still available, as are a number of DIY PCBs.
  • Many commercial products have used the FV-1, both for guitar and modular synthesis markets.
  • The FV-1 uses an SOIC package so it is not that hard to solder by hand.
  • There is a large collection of FV-1 algorithms here.
  • I have written a graphical tool which lets you build up a wide variety of both standard and unique effects without writing a single line of code. This free, cross-platform (Java), open-source tool is called "SpinCAD Designer".
  • After about 6 years of not actively updating or doing anything else with SpinCAD Designer, I am back at it.  I have a Patreon channel where I describe how to use it in depth.  Recently I am reviewing reverb design for the FV-1, which although documented at the Spin Knowledge base, IMO remains a black art due to the complexity/sheer number of parameters that can be adjusted.  While I don't put myself in the league of reverb designers such as Sean Costello of Valhalla, I have learned quite a bit simply by looking at so many FV-1 reverb patches and correlating that with other online documentation which I've found.

Digital Larry

Update, I killed the Patreon page and have organized the info over at Gitbook now.  Still working on filling in the blanks.

https://holy-city-audio.gitbook.io/spincad-designer/

DL

shannonrichards

The OpenStompTM Coyote-1 sounds like a game-changer for guitarists! The ability to develop custom effects and exchange them with a community is fantastic. The open-source nature is especially exciting—total control over the pedal's behavior and dedicated system resources for custom solutions.

shannonrichards

Quote from: Elantric on September 24, 2008, 10:24:45 AMThis is slightly related

Open Stomp Coyote 1 ( $349)

http://www.openstomp.com/index.html
The open-source nature is especially exciting—total control over the pedal's behavior and dedicated system resources for custom solutions.

What is it?
   The OpenStompTM Coyote-1 is an open source audio effects processor built for guitar players. With the Coyote-1 users can develop custom audio effects in software (like distortion, echo, chorus etc.), mix multiple effects to build "patches", and exchange those effects and patches with the OpenStompTM community.

A companion Windows application (OpenStompTM Workbench) allows Users to combine effects into patches graphically, and to move patches and effects between the Coyote-1 device and their PC's disk.

The Coyote-1 O/S is open source so users can tweak it to behave any way they like, and the hardware is fully documented so that developers can take control of the whole pedal, dedicating all available system resources toward the implementation of unique custom solutions.

Elantric

Quote from: shannonrichards on January 30, 2024, 02:47:06 AMThe OpenStompTM Coyote-1 sounds like a game-changer for guitarists! The ability to develop custom effects and exchange them with a community is fantastic. The open-source nature is especially exciting—total control over the pedal's behavior and dedicated system resources for custom solutions.

Look at the date, Was posted in 2008

In 2024 There are many open source platforms for hosting  FX algorithms  - id search Github and KVR

shannonrichards