Boss GP-10

Started by Elantric, March 10, 2014, 06:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orren Merton

Quote from: thebrushwithin on March 11, 2014, 11:41:06 AM
Yes, and it might make the StrongArm Sustainer, with USB hex audio out, more valuable, by using a USB cable between the two, and bypassing the 13 pin altogether. That would be exciting, if so.

That would indeed be very interesting! But I think that if it worked, it would be an afterthought, since the GP-10 was designed long before the StrongArm (and I'm sure the last thing Roland does when it designs something is worry about Keith McMillan Instruments, anyway...).

Also, keep in mind that even if there was a way to make it work, I'm sure that like all of Roland's units, the GP-10 would be optimized for magnetic hex pickups. Just like Rolands other units needed an RMC-designed subsonic filter to work "right" with piezo equipped instruments, so would a StrongArm equipped instrument. And as you may remember, RMC replaced the 13-pin jack with a sub-sonic filter, so there would be no way to filter any USB input.

Orren

thebrushwithin

Yes, I'd be surprised if KMI is on Roland's radar at all. However, it seems like 6 channel audio USB, is the latest focus, with guitar tech companies, and that is what can make these united. It is also quite possible tha KMI is aware of these past problems, and has somehow overcome it with their piezo saddle design.

highlandsrock

I've just noticed that GuitarGuitar in the UK have dropped the price of the GR-55 with pickup to £ 449.00 ($746), that's not much more than the SP-10 with pickup ($690)
Ibanez RG870 with GT3 internal kit +
GR-33, VG-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-1000, Strymon Big Sky

Orren Merton

Quote from: highlandsrock on March 11, 2014, 01:39:26 PM
I've just noticed that GuitarGuitar in the UK have dropped the price of the GR-55 with pickup to £ 449.00 ($746), that's not much more than the SP-10 with pickup ($690)

European prices are often higher than US prices. Here in the USA, the price of a GR-55 w/GK3 is $699; a GP-10 w/GK3 ($499) is two hundred less. Even in the US, it's more expensive than I'd hoped, even at the $399 no pickup price; I'm hoping that there will be some deals/buys available when it's an actual shipping product.

Orren

DeRigueur

Quote from: Orren Merton on March 11, 2014, 01:59:02 PMI'm hoping that there will be some deals/buys available when it's an actual shipping product.
Yes, I'm hoping for a group buy deal.
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

LinzHenderson

Quote from: Orren Merton on March 11, 2014, 01:59:02 PM
European prices are often higher than US prices. Here in the USA, the price of a GR-55 w/GK3 is $699; a GP-10 w/GK3 ($499) is two hundred less. Even in the US, it's more expensive than I'd hoped, even at the $399 no pickup price; I'm hoping that there will be some deals/buys available when it's an actual shipping product.

Orren

GuitarGuitar and Dolphin here in the UK have it up for pre-order at £299 without GK, £389 with.

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/pedals_multi_detail.asp?stock=14030517225058

After studying all the info, I think it's perfect for me, but I can see why some of you are a bit disappointed.

Elantric

Ive already placed my order. Mostly to figure out how to modify / expand the GP-10  capabilities and make it more suitable for live gigs.
And Id rather have a pitcher of Guinness get accidentally dumped on my new GP-10 than my pristine studio used VG-99!

polaris20

$499 with the pickup is fine for me; hopefully there will be a group buy too ;).
It'll allow me to sell my bass I don't really enjoy playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elantric

More details on using N.I. Reaktor here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7772.0

http://www.marksmart.net/sounddesign/bysynth/reaktor/reaktor.html

The big deal is the Boss GP-10 with its 6 Channel USB Streaming Audio I/O  will allow six separate instances of N.I. Reaktor to process each String separately.

Ringleader

The class-compliant driver is really the make or break for me. With Audiobus 2 coming soon that allows configuration of inputs and outputs, the 6 channels of audio over USB could be a lot of fun. I'm holding out for the manual or if they post drivers, then I know it is not for me.

BackDAWman

My main interest here is the GKP-2 cable. I'd love to see the price and availability in Australia!

polaris20

musicman65

Disappointed to say the least. This is 1/4 of a VG99 with no 5 pin MIDI in or out, no SPDIF, no parallel chains, not enough control inputs, no way to integrate to other standalone gear beside analog signals...there is no way I can use this as a serious 13 pin guitarist. I was hoping for an evolution not degeneration. Oh well. I'm glad I have 2 VG99's!

polaris20

Quote from: musicman65 on March 11, 2014, 06:57:57 PM
Disappointed to say the least. This is 1/4 of a VG99 with no 5 pin MIDI in or out, no SPDIF, no parallel chains, not enough control inputs, no way to integrate to other standalone gear beside analog signals...there is no way I can use this as a serious 13 pin guitarist. I was hoping for an evolution not degeneration. Oh well. I'm glad I have 2 VG99's!

To each their own; it's perfect for me. I wanted a Variax in a box, and this is basically that, with the addition of basses and analog synths. I don't need the MIDI conversion, since the FTP does a better job than any Roland unit, and I don't need the amp modeling, since I have a POD HD, which sounds better to me. So I'm glad it's relatively stripped down and far less than the VG99 was.

Bill Ruppert

Right now where I sit the VG-99 is like a Synclavier.
If you know what it really does you will settle for nothing but.
I have one VG-99 in the box just waiting. Tomorrow I will fire it up to keep the capacitors alive.
I could never do what I have done with a single channel of COSM.
AND I thought the GR-55 was a bitch to get around, but  this looks even harder.
Its one little knob!

That said maybe there is something new added.
I will get it and see.

Bill

Quote from: polaris20 on March 11, 2014, 07:16:07 PM
To each their own; it's perfect for me. I wanted a Variax in a box, and this is basically that, with the addition of basses and analog synths. I don't need the MIDI conversion, since the FTP does a better job than any Roland unit, and I don't need the amp modeling, since I have a POD HD, which sounds better to me. So I'm glad it's relatively stripped down and far less than the VG99 was.

polaris20

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on March 11, 2014, 07:23:42 PM
Right now where I sit the VG-99 is like a Synclavier.
If you know what it really does you will settle for nothing but.
I have one VG-99 in the box just waiting. Tomorrow I will fire it up to keep the capacitors alive.
AND I thought the GR-55 was a bitch to get around, but  this looks even harder.
Its one little knob!

That said maybe there is something new added.
I will get it and see.

Bill

I know exactly what the VG99 does. I know exactly what the 55 does. I don't need either for what I do. The FTP and this will do exactly as I need.

People need to remember that they're not always the target audience for something. I really thought long and hard about getting another 55, knowing that Id never touch it's pitch to MIDI or PCM stuff. This device is therefore the perfect device for me.

alexmcginness

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on March 11, 2014, 07:23:42 PM
Bill

I find the same thing. I got my second VG-99 in a package deal with a GR-55 and for live playing the patches I use in the 99 employ both cosm channels and most of the eqs. I modeled my Strat into the 99 using Har-Bal and I cant recreate those patches without two channels of COSM. To each his own. The 99 has a lot of firepower that the subsequent units have stripped out of them. If you dont need the 99's horsepower then these other units may well be the ticket. I keep looking around for another used 99 in great shape for a low price. I have a feeling that these will be like the TB-303's some day. At the end of their run Roland was selling them to dealers for $25 a unit. I sold mine for $1200 when fanatics wanted a " vintage" unit. Im betting the 99 will be the same one day. We shall see.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

drjoness2001

Here is information on the specific settings needed for Reaktor:

http://www.joness.com/gr300/GK-Expander.htm#gsynth

And a demo video:

Quote from: Elantric on March 11, 2014, 03:25:35 PM
More details on using N.I. Reaktor here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7772.0

http://www.marksmart.net/sounddesign/bysynth/reaktor/reaktor.html

The big deal is the Boss GP-10 with its 6 Channel USB Streaming Audio I/O  will allow six separate instances of N.I. Reaktor to process each String separately.

Brak(E)man

a couple of Q
will the price drop do ya think ?
and will this toy gadget ;)
make the vg99 prices drop ?

I'll get one though but I'm also getting a 3rd VG99
to be on the safe side.

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

admin

I expect prices to be stable for a while. GP-10 $399/$499; used VG-99 $600-700

IanRamos

I don't really get it ... and there's almost no clear info on what that thing really does anywhere ( and the roland demo video is a joke ) .
User Polaris said that he want to use this as a Variax in a box , and i will be interested in buying one if that will be possible with that pedal , but i'm pretty sure that it only offers COSM guitar emulation if you have a gk pickup , in which case , that pedal doesn't make any sense , as you can get a gr-55 for just a little more money ( or even the same price if you buy it second hand .

Anybody with more info on that thing can explain better what it does ?

oddguitar

Here is the first demo video from Musikmesse:

Sound quality isn't great, but you get the idea.  I also wanted a Variax in a box, so I'll be buying one.  The added extra features are just a bonus :)

oddguitar

IanRamos

Thanks for the video oddguitar , that's a better demo .
but still , i'm pretty sure you can only get access to the acoustic , bass etc , via a gk pickup ( i might be wrong on that , actually i hope i'm wrong , cause i would totally get one then ) , so it is NOT a Variax in a box , if you have a gk equipped guitar , you might want to get instead a gr-55 which have 1.000 % more features and sounds for almost the same money .

So again , does anybody knows for sure what that pedal does without a gk pickup ?

that's the only info i could find about it  :

"Loaded with COSM powered amps and effects you can use with any guitar
Okay, so not every axe in even the most high-tech guitarist's collection here at Sweetwater is equipped with a hex pickup. So, what about using your non GK compliant guitars with the BOSS GP-10? No problem. You still get to tap into the GP-10's extraordinary collection of COSM driven amp models and expansive collection of effects. We're talking about absolutely stunning overdrives and distortion tones, not to mention fun and freaky modulation effects, delays, reverb styles, and a unique intelligent harmony generator. Plus, there's an expression pedal onboard that lets you control volume swells, pitch bends, and wah effects. "

It doesn't mention the COSM guitars and basses ...

Elantric

Re-read the 1st post in this thread - its rather clear on the functionality of the GP-10

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10782.0

QuoteSo again , does anybody knows for sure what that pedal does without a gk pickup ?

The GP-10 basically works like a ME-80 without the user knobs and far less foot control. Both GP-10, ME-80, and GT-100  employ the new BossToneStudio Editor for building patches using COSM Amp modeling Sims, and multiple FX. We will know all the details once the GP-10 Owners manual is available later this month. 

oddguitar

Ian,

I already own a GC-1, an extra GK3, a GR-55, and both the GR-D & GR-S, however, I'm interested in using modeled guitars & alternate tunings straight into my amp.  The guitar out on the GR-55 is noisy, and I don't like the poor reliability & palm-muting issues of the JTV Variax line, so this pedal is perfect for me.

oddguitar