Polymoog strings anyone

Started by Aengelantir, March 04, 2023, 04:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aengelantir

Hi all,

I've worked on a patch to get this stringy/brassy sound from a Polymoog on my GP-10 like this YT example starting at 7m12s

I've gone through many patches available here (thanks Ainsoph) but they all are too much on the bright and 'fuzzy' side. More like the first string exampke in the video.

I've got everything working with ADSR on   Filter and Amp including input sensitivity, and using LFO's to get some lively variation in the sound. Even have assigns set up to control it while playing. However I cannot filter the basic sounds from the OSC's SAW, PWM and SQR to deliver this 'cloudy and round' sound. On the other hand SIN and TRI deliver not enough higher harmonics to get a development in the sound with the Filter. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Gibson L5 CES, Ibanez 2630 Artist + GK-3, Fender Am Strat, Ibanez ST-300, Aria Nylon, Fina steelstring, GT-10, GP-10, Ableton.

Aengelantir

Got a little further myself.
OSC' s dual with OSC1 on TRI and OSC2 on  SIN pitch +12 and half the volume. This means that every chord note is more present than unwanted harmonics in the higher frequencies.
Experimented with EQ and could get rid off any fizz. So now instead of EQ, I have to arrange for the filter ADSR to keep out of the fizzy region.
Learned that the PolyMoog had several SEMs, meaning several OSC. I think it will be hard to mimic that wavery sound of these independent OSC's with just two in the GP-10. I'll keep you all posted.
Gibson L5 CES, Ibanez 2630 Artist + GK-3, Fender Am Strat, Ibanez ST-300, Aria Nylon, Fina steelstring, GT-10, GP-10, Ableton.

Brak(E)man

Have you tried a wha controlled by (or more) wave pedal assigns set to different rates and the wha to a very low Effect level high Direct level. And not a very wide pedal range?
I find that it can create it very nice "fluttery" sound if set correctly.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

aliensporebomb

My GP-10 patch for that type of sound ended up being this - to get it to be a little less animated might take some work by removing the chorus effect I used to animate it more:

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Aengelantir

Quote from: aliensporebomb on March 05, 2023, 06:02:03 AMMy GP-10 patch for that type of sound ended up being this - to get it to be a little less animated might take some work by removing the chorus effect I used to animate it more:

Man, this has exactly the right vibe. Nice droning bass. And the name is also right. Would you like to share this patch? Or is it already available somewhere?
Nice stuff on Bandcamp!

aliensporebomb

Aengelantir

Thanks Aliensporebomb!

I'm going to use it to play the accomp for this: .

I've come along way already to mimic that EWI as well.

I'll let you here the results when get there.

Aengelantir

Quote from: Brak(E)man on March 05, 2023, 12:44:23 AMHave you tried a wha controlled by (or more) wave pedal assigns set to different rates and the wha to a very low Effect level high Direct level. And not a very wide pedal range?
I find that it can create it very nice "fluttery" sound if set correctly.

Tried it Brak(E)man, it's also a neat trick to get that sensation of a moving sound.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Aengelantir on March 06, 2023, 12:46:34 PMTried it Brak(E)man, it's also a neat trick to get that sensation of a moving sound.
Glad you got some use for it.
A wha combined with a couple of LFOs (wave pedals ) is a powerful and I'm guessing hidden trick and can be used for so much more than "regular" guitar wha.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24578.0
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

aliensporebomb

Yeah if you get the EWI let me know.   You might need two players, one to play the accompaniment (or run it into a looper) and one to play the lead line.   It's a cool piece.