JamOrigin - MIDI Guitar = Polyphonic Guitar to MIDI Software

Started by Charles5150, December 15, 2012, 05:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: CodeSmart on September 12, 2021, 03:31:35 PM
Why do I still want them to put this great code in a self-contained PEDAL?
Just wondering...

I want that too! However still having fun with MG2 and can't wait for MG3!

philjynx

Sounds good, but we see a lot of (I don't know, do you call it vibrato?) 'wobbly bending' of single strings where he is sustaining the last note of a lot of phrases, but I'm not hearing any pitch change - any apparent response at all in fact (a bit like when you're playing, say piano - set to chromatic on a GR55 and you don't pass the semitone threshold so there's no change in pitch - thankfully). Am I old and deaf, or is JO not responding to that aspect of his playing?

gumtown

I almost find that video a little dubious, with the sustained note string bends which should have either triggered note bend, or glitched up a half step.
The lack of setup information on the Youtube page, and with the comments switched off, so no one can ask about the setup.

I could be wrong, just my opinion, I have never have MIDi2 track like that for me.
To me it sounds more like the guitar is playing through a Boss SY or equivalent synth.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

jassy

Quote from: philjynx on November 20, 2021, 02:49:49 PM
Sounds good, but we see a lot of (I don't know, do you call it vibrato?) 'wobbly bending' of single strings where he is sustaining the last note of a lot of phrases, but I'm not hearing any pitch change - any apparent response at all in fact (a bit like when you're playing, say piano - set to chromatic on a GR55 and you don't pass the semitone threshold so there's no change in pitch - thankfully). Am I old and deaf, or is JO not responding to that aspect of his playing?
Its exactly that, it has the bend disabled, its a parameter avalilable in MG2.

jassy

Quote from: gumtown on November 20, 2021, 04:04:25 PM
I almost find that video a little dubious, with the sustained note string bends which should have either triggered note bend, or glitched up a half step.
The lack of setup information on the Youtube page, and with the comments switched off, so no one can ask about the setup.

I could be wrong, just my opinion, I have never have MIDi2 track like that for me.
To me it sounds more like the guitar is playing through a Boss SY or equivalent synth.
Kreisberg is a very reputed guitar player in the jazz scene, one of the best of the recent guitar player generations, I doubt very much he will do a fake video saying its MG2 and being another thing.
Also, although the playing is stelar, it does not surprise me that MG2 is capable of work like that. I can achieve that fast an musical response.
On the other side, sadly any of the Boss Sy devices is not able to make that amazing type of sound IMO.

LoFiLeif

My two cents on the discussion that has been around for a while, having taken place at a few different guitar and MIDI guitar forums. It is something that I've seen the subject of using hex pickups to send on six separate audio channels (one per string)  monophonically tracked by six instances of MIDI Guitar 2, only to be merged into a single MIDI stream fed to an instrument in a DAW in the end. It has always felt like too much of a workaround for me, but I must admit I may have been wrong.

philjynx

Quote from: LoFiLeif on November 23, 2021, 01:43:46 AM
My two cents on the discussion that has been around for a while, having taken place at a few different guitar and MIDI guitar forums. It is something that I've seen the subject of using hex pickups to send on six separate audio channels (one per string)  monophonically tracked by six instances of MIDI Guitar 2, only to be merged into a single MIDI stream fed to an instrument in a DAW in the end. It has always felt like too much of a workaround for me, but I must admit I may have been wrong.

There is a GR 55000 then, you just have to build it yourself! That setup sounds excellent, could have done with some other instruments and also some different instruments assigned to different strings. I imagine (subject to your PC having enough oomph) you're not limited to just six instances either.

alexmcginness

LoFiLeif that is amazing and something Im gonna try. Ive always been frustrated with glitches with all my midi guitar stuff. This may be just the thing. Thanks.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

pasha811

Very good indeed. I can't wait to try it.

The only thing that makes me sad in all this is that Roland stubbornly refuses to provide us with USB Drivers for new Apple Silicon Macs. We have Gumtown GP-10-Edit which runs under Rosetta.
So only an SY-1000 can provide such capabilities in an Apple Silicon World.

To me Jam Origin worked good so far but all depends on the VST Plugin. For example when using Ableton Native Instruments I got a bag of different results. When I use Zebra is way better and when I use VG99-MIDI-Direct to Roland JV1010 the best experience, always using the same guitar for comparison. In any case Jam Origin has become a permanent plugin in my Ableton Live Template.
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Nobulusprime

I've tried this on one instrument (on one channel strip) in Logic and 6 instances of Midi Guitar 2 on 6 audio channel strips and it works quite well - I haven't tried it with one instrument per strip - that seems a like a lot of work for one patch and quite power hungry too. FTP connect is so much easier for chords.

I do think that Midi Guitar 2 is still the best for single note lines with bends and legato, a bit better than the FTP and loads better than Roland/Boss.

It's time for Roland/Boss pulled their finger out with pitch to midi or don't bother with it at all as they are being left behind. If I were them I'd be reaching out to Midi Guitar 2 folks looking to collaborate on a super-fast hardware version of Midi Guitar 2.

jassy

JamOrigin is planning to add the capability of process 6 input signals from GP10/SY1000/others inside one single instance of the next Midiguitar3
That would be amazing and would simplify enormously the setup of this type of processing and alleviate the cpu penalty.

Source: https://jamosapien.com/t/hexaphonic-version/2993/6
With the Boss GP10 or SY1000 you can have the separate 6 string signal via USB in the computer.

JamO
Jun 8
This would be simple enough for us to build. I wasn't aware of any decent hex-pickup-to-USB hardware, but...

JamO
Jun 8
Ok, I see. This should be easy enough. We'll add a "6-string-mono-tracking-mode", sometime after the upcoming releases, if nothing else then for benchmarking the polytrackers

Nobulusprime

Quote from: jassy on November 23, 2021, 12:20:22 PM
JamOrigin is planning to add the capability of process 6 input signals from GP10/SY1000/others inside one single instance of the next Midiguitar3
That would be amazing and would simplify enormously the setup of this type of processing and alleviate the cpu penalty.

Source: https://jamosapien.com/t/hexaphonic-version/2993/6

That's great I wonder when Midi Guitar 3 will come out? It says 2021 on their website so hopefully not too long!

billbax

Umm, my £80.00GBP GK mini breakout cable is getting all excited :D  And you don't need a breakout box!

Thanks, Bill

https://separate-strings.co.uk/breakout%20cables%20and%20more.html

LoFiLeif

Summing up the MIDI Guitar 2 Project for 2021 - Best Software, plugins, and more

billbax

Probably one of the best music chops and gear demos to date here at the forum.  The forum needs more of this advanced level of musicianship and commitment.
Sadly, I see only two people have put a 'like', including me. Can someone please explain why?

mooncaine

For me, it's because it's a video, and I am seldom in a place where I can listen to videos. I'd like to read. Had there been something to read, I would have gladly done so.

Vaultnaemsae

Plenty of likes on YouTube. He's having some fun with it all and doing some cool stuff.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

gumtown

I got a little bit excited to try Midi Bass 2, and installed the trial, but was deflated to find it still at version 1 and monophonic only.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

I guess the statement "Road map for 2021" could be looked at as either the start of the map, or the destination.

Either way, I am hoping for new and exciting things to come, sooner the better.  :)

LoFiLeif

Quote from: gumtown on April 07, 2022, 02:48:23 PM
I got a little bit excited to try Midi Bass 2, and installed the trial, but was deflated to find it still at version 1 and monophonic only.

Yeah, I've seen people  referring to MIDI Bass 2 sometimes at the Forum, but I think that is a mistake on their part. That update will most likely follow from the MG3 tracker update, so nothing has been released yet, unfortunately.

Aengelantir

Quote from: billbax on November 23, 2021, 01:57:39 PMUmm, my £80.00GBP GK mini breakout cable is getting all excited :D  And you don't need a breakout box!

Thanks, Bill

https://separate-strings.co.uk/breakout%20cables%20and%20more.html

But then I would need to buy a 8 channnel audio interface?
Gibson L5 CES, Ibanez 2630 Artist + GK-3, Fender Am Strat, Ibanez ST-300, Aria Nylon, Fina steelstring, GT-10, GP-10, Ableton.

admin

Quote from: Aengelantir on February 11, 2023, 12:59:25 AMBut then I would need to buy a 8 channnel audio interface?

True - for GR-55, VG-99 , VG-8, VG-88

Only the Boss GP-10 and Boss SY-1000 provide built in  8 in / 8 out USB Audio for processing strings on  separate USB Audio I/O channels

billbax

QuoteBut then I would need to buy a 8 channnel audio interface?

I would imagine at least 1/3 of forum members have an eight input daw interface.

As admin says,
QuoteOnly the Boss GP-10 and Boss SY-1000 provide built in  8 in / 8 out USB Audio for processing strings on  separate USB Audio I/O channels.

Agree and great for basic re-amping, but if you are into high-end audio, analog GK separate strings win hands down with much improved audio detail. The main downside with usb separate strings is breaking out of digital, into analog real-world cable access with minimum latency.

Best usb GP10 minimum harmonic distortion is around 0.01%THD, while analog DAW interface GK3 separate string signals are around 0.004%THD.

atomheart411

I'm wondering what's been the experience anyone has had trying MG2 into Logic Pro on iPad? I'm hearing mixed sort of results and would really love to hear some positive out comes so I can give Apple several hundreds of dollars to upgrade my iPad.  :P