SY-1000 - Firmware Wish List

Started by admin, December 12, 2019, 03:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

A VG-99 trick allows selecting GK SET type based on the current patch

This allows the creative use of assigning one of the 10 "GK SET" memories with altered GK String sensitivity settings specific for use with current patch

Default SY-1000 factory GK String Sensitivity setting is "65" for all strings.

I prefer changing all strings to the range of 25-35 for best touch sensitivity and wider picking dynamics

But for GR-300 tones , then I set GK String Sensitivity settings at 90-100 for better sustain and higher gain

Same if seeking a driving Lead solo tone

Build an array of different GK SET settings with different String Sensitivities  for all ten GK SET memory locations and dynamically use the appropriate GK SET for the patch

Very surprised this is not available on the SY-1000

stub

That is a good feature idea. There are also useful tone differences with the different GK types-- i.e., assigning the "wrong" non-matching type.

admin

Quote from: stub on July 01, 2021, 02:39:36 PM
That is a good feature idea. There are also useful tone differences with the different GK types-- i.e., assigning the "wrong" non-matching type.

Agreed - thats another VG-99 "trick"  - use a guitar with GK-3,   but assign a GK SET using the PIEZO with 2 band EQ, adds more versatile tone options.
I had assumed this CRUCIAL feature was already in SY-1000   

Score one for old VG-99,  which allows this

gumtown

I am fairly sure the SY-1000 can already allocate GK sets per patch.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Bill Ruppert

Ok you can with the Normal input as well!

At the end of the effect chain is a master block. (MST)
On the second page of MST you can dial in the set you want and then save the preset and it will stick.
You can pick System or slots 1-10 which you can save.

Manual is NOT clear on that one!!

admin

Quote from: gumtown on July 01, 2021, 04:07:12 PM
I am fairly sure the SY-1000 can already allocate GK sets per patch.

Tell me more, and where to assign this  -

Id think it would be in the global,
but it might be in the Create New patch Type area. 

chrish

System> In/out setting/GK setting/page 1 setting block right above name
                                             Select

You can set 10 different GK string levels and GK Types

chrish

In the patch mode press effects
go to the MST block.(block after Sub and Master blocks) Page 2, assign which ever of those 10 GK settings in the GK Set block.

gumtown

On the SY-1000,
press "EFFECTS" button,
scroll knob 6 (SEL) to the most right position on the "MST" (master) block,
press PAGE > button once,
GK SET is on knob 2 with the default set to SYSTEM, you can choose any of the 10 GK Sets, and save that to each patch.

If the GK Set has not been changed in any patch, it will be set on the default of "SYSTEM" chosen GK Set,
which can be accessed from the main SY-1000 screen
press SYSTEM button,
press knob 2 button "IN/OUT SETTING",
press knob 1 button "GK SETTING",
scroll knob 1 to choose the System GK Set.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Kevin M

Quote from: gumtown on July 01, 2021, 09:56:31 PM
On the SY-1000,
press "EFFECTS" button,
scroll knob 6 (SEL) to the most right position on the "MST" (master) block,
press PAGE > button once,
GK SET is on knob 2 with the default set to SYSTEM, you can choose any of the 10 GK Sets, and save that to each patch.

If the GK Set has not been changed in any patch, it will be set on the default of "SYSTEM" chosen GK Set,
which can be accessed from the main SY-1000 screen
press SYSTEM button,
press knob 2 button "IN/OUT SETTING",
press knob 1 button "GK SETTING",
scroll knob 1 to choose the System GK Set.

I wish this GK setting would use the name instead of number.  It would be easier to keep track if you've created a number of GK sets.

Matteo Barducci

I really hope that a future firmware version would allow the USB audio stream to be allowed not only by a proprietary Win/Mac driver but also for devices that can output an ADAT optical conversion.
--

---> Matteo Barducci

admin

The encouraging thing is recent Boss products appear to employ same 8 in/8 out USB Audio  as GP-10, SY-1000 -but these new products (RC-600. RC-505 MKII) while having 8 in/8 out USB Audio. Also have a USB Class Compliant 2 in/2 out mode..

I'd sign a petition for Boss  with next SY-1000 firmware to provide a USB Class Compliant mode on SY-1000 too.
(Why?) , for IOS USB Audio I/O connectivity

mr_serge

Все хорошо в этом синтезаторе!!! Но сделайте поддержку стороних импульсов! Тогда можно будет играть в полной мере! Надеюсь моя просьба не будет проигнорирована...
Everything is good in this synthesizer!!! But make support for third-party impulses! Then you can play to the fullest! I hope my request will not be ignored...

gumtown

I agree, some of that AIRD stuff that gives the GT-1000 its MOJO.

stub

Quote from: mr_serge on February 03, 2022, 02:31:13 PM
But make support for third-party impulses! Then you can play to the fullest! I hope my request will not be ignored...

I'm sorry to say your request WILL be ignored. In order for it to load 3rd party IRs, it would require different hardware (i.e., memory) to store it in.

If you are displeased with the included IR's, I'd suggest you first make use of the built in EQs to get the tone you are after, and if that is unsatisfactory, then use the SEND/RETURN loop to insert an external IR loader that you like.

gumtown

Quote from: stub on February 03, 2022, 05:00:04 PM
I'm sorry to say your request WILL be ignored. In order for it to load 3rd party IRs, it would require different hardware (i.e., memory) to store it in.

If you are displeased with the included IR's, I'd suggest you first make use of the built in EQs to get the tone you are after, and if that is unsatisfactory, then use the SEND/RETURN loop to insert an external IR loader that you like.

I don't know, if they can do it with the GT-1000 (originally came out with no I.R. loading), then they should be able to do it with the SY-1000,
both are based on similar platforms.

JiveTurkey

Quote from: gumtown on February 03, 2022, 06:20:19 PM
I don't know, if they can do it with the GT-1000 (originally came out with no I.R. loading), then they should be able to do it with the SY-1000,
both are based on similar platforms.
I needed some quicker tracking synths for some new songs we are working on so I have been using the SY for synths and amps along side my HX FX running my favorite GT1000 IRs. Sounded PHENOMENAL. I LOVE the FM3 and the variety of amps and quality of FX but that one pocket of sounds I go to in Boss land is just it for me.

aliensporebomb

I find it interesting that the first year the SY-1000 was released there were software updates January, April and September.
But starting in 2021 there was an update in October, and 2022 another in October.

If the pattern holds, and there is another update I bet it will be October when we see it.  That would be to fix the clicks with alt-tuned acoustic guitar models.

Seems like an awfully long time.  That's presuming there will be an update.

Just thinking out loud.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Abaxial

Quote from: Matteo Barducci on August 08, 2021, 10:29:06 AMI really hope that a future firmware version would allow the USB audio stream to be allowed not only by a proprietary Win/Mac driver but also for devices that can output an ADAT optical conversion.
Two years late here, but what's an example of such a device?

In general I had thoughts along the same line as you though. I would have appreciated a digital audio stream of some kind, to avoid extra AD/DA conversion for use with DSP/room correction monitors. Also allows said monitors to stay hooked to main interface and not fuss with a monitor controller. Modding the SY-1000 to do this on the hardware level is probably possible (people do it with old game consoles all the time), but I lack the strength of conviction.

arkieboy

Quote from: JiveTurkey on December 12, 2019, 04:34:26 PMPCM
PCM
PCM
I agree with Jassy, I don't think this is very likely.  Trouble is it would then entirely supersede the GR55 and I suspect Roland hopes there are a few floors out there that will have both the GR55 and the SY1000 before the GR55 becomes obsolete.

But all they would need to find is enough memory to be able to feed the OSC synth with the raw waveforms from the GR-33.  Surely a bit of refactoring of code ought to find that amount of memory.  It would save me a lot of floor space ;-)

Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

fokof

I've already said it but here we go again :

I wish for better OSC tracking/latency
Please put all your energy of future updates on the OSC !!!!

The tracking/latency of the VB99 with the tweak-ability of the SY1000 and I would be a happy bass player !

Jim Williams

I think three is only so much you can do with a firmware update. what we need is a new product that has room for updating that will make it future proof. look at the Helix it has been getting improvements and it was released in 2015 around 8 years ago. It is still going strong in the market alongside much newer products and receiving current updates. This is what Boss needs to make a new product that will be relevant for years to come. Then conversations about "update Wish lists" will have some meaning and the voices of people will be important or at least matter. At this point anything you want can't be done; you will have to buy a new product. It seems like a direction they are headed in the GM 800 guitar synth with the ability to add new Zen core sounds that are updated with the Roland cloud. This is a new technology with the addition of the new pickup and cable. It is a solid idea that could not be available on an older product with firmware. I can see a new product for guitar and amp modeling being available very soon. Personally, I would like to see some kind of capturing feature. I want to see a smaller product or products to be more modular and pedal board friendly.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

pasha811

Quote from: Jim Williams on December 07, 2023, 08:33:56 AMI think three is only so much you can do with a firmware update. what we need is a new product that has room for updating that will make it future proof. look at the Helix it has been getting improvements and it was released in 2015 around 8 years ago. It is still going strong in the market alongside much newer products and receiving current updates. This is what Boss needs to make a new product that will be relevant for years to come. Then conversations about "update Wish lists" will have some meaning and the voices of people will be important or at least matter. At this point anything you want can't be done; you will have to buy a new product. It seems like a direction they are headed in the GM 800 guitar synth with the ability to add new Zen core sounds that are updated with the Roland cloud. This is a new technology with the addition of the new pickup and cable. It is a solid idea that could not be available on an older product with firmware. I can see a new product for guitar and amp modeling being available very soon. Personally, I would like to see some kind of capturing feature. I want to see a smaller product or products to be more modular and pedal board friendly.

In a old post I was envisioning an expandable platform unlocked via payment as some automotive players are implementing / thinking. Another possible option is to buy the 'features' as hardware expansions (cards or modules with a proprietary pinout) just like in the very old days of Roland Synths. In any case I agree that also in the name of sustainability we need repairable hardware and long lasting devices.
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

IMH1234

Personally I would rather manufacturers just develop a product that does what it says on the tin and release it - the concept that it will get fixed in firmware is [pick four letter descriptor]. great that firms fix bug fixes but I really don't get anything out of being a lifetime beta tester.

pasha811

Quote from: IMH1234 on December 07, 2023, 11:47:08 AMPersonally I would rather manufacturers just develop a product that does what it says on the tin and release it - the concept that it will get fixed in firmware is [pick four letter descriptor]. great that firms fix bug fixes but I really don't get anything out of being a lifetime beta tester.

Agree. Even if kind of a mindset those days..

That's why I'm scared of 'Beta' Generative AI on the loose ....
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/