Headrush - FAQ

Started by admin, October 29, 2018, 08:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonnyv

i don't know if the plastic screen protector it ships with is intended just for shipping protection
but i'm thinking about getting this 4.3 inches x 7.25 inches glass for Kindle 7
it's a tad shorter and a tad wider than the Headrush screen:
https://smile.amazon.com/All-New-Fire-Screen-Protector-Release/dp/B072LW9SQW/ref=sr_1_4?crid=14UTANJ1R7SFE&keywords=screen+protector+for+kindle+fire+7&qid=1553228320&s=electronics&sprefix=Screen+Protector+for+kindle+fire%2Celectronics%2C202&sr=1-4

question:
i don't get the Input Gain meter on the Gigboard
when i increase or lower the gain and strum hard the meter always maxes out at 2 bars short of 0

is the meter just for setting the Gate?
if so, then there's no visual indicator for optimizing the input from different guitars or ensuring they don't clip the input?

admin

Quote from: sonnyv on March 21, 2019, 09:33:01 PM
i don't know if the plastic screen protector it ships with is intended just for shipping protection
but i'm thinking about getting this 4.3 inches x 7.25 inches glass for Kindle 7
it's a tad shorter and a tad wider than the Headrush screen:
https://smile.amazon.com/All-New-Fire-Screen-Protector-Release/dp/B072LW9SQW/ref=sr_1_4?crid=14UTANJ1R7SFE&keywords=screen+protector+for+kindle+fire+7&qid=1553228320&s=electronics&sprefix=Screen+Protector+for+kindle+fire%2Celectronics%2C202&sr=1-4

question:
i don't get the Input Gain meter on the Gigboard
when i increase or lower the gain and strum hard the meter always maxes out at 2 bars short of 0

is the meter just for setting the Gate?
if so, then there's no visual indicator for optimizing the input from different guitars or ensuring they don't clip the input?

Be sure you have updated Gigboard to latest FW 2.0 
https://www.headrushfx.com/products/gigboard

sonnyv

yes, I am running the latest update.

i spoke to Headrush support for about 20 minutes. he went back and forth with tech support, admitted it was odd, and said tech support would call me back.

i now see that the manual does say "Input Level Meter: This level meter indicates the current level of your input signal before the input controls shown on this screen", i.e. the meter is showing a fixed picture of the guitar input level (for setting the noise gate i assume).

but that brings me back to the question "is there no visual measure of how hard you can drive the guitar input (or the difference between one guitar's pickups and another -- active or passive?)"

i assume there is a limiter in the system (support doesn't know that?) i'll report back.

admin

sound like you may have a broken unit

- I have a full working VU meters that bounce and show real time signal levels on both input block and output block  - the larger Headrush is more refined - but same Input gain VU Meter and Noise Gate controls exist on Gigboard, just arranged in a different manner

I disable the noise gate on both big Headrush and Gigboard  - as I never play super heavy tones, and may need long sustain - impossible with a chocking noise gate enabled  ( prefer to be unique in the marketplace for live gigs )   

this may help

Quotei assume there is a limiter in the system (support doesn't know that?) i'll report back.

Limiter will be in the  Dynamics/EQ model FX Block category.
https://www.headrushfx.com/kb/article/2410
QuoteDyn III Compressor

This effect is based on the Compressor plug-in from the Dynamics III plug-in set that comes with Pro Tools. It lets you control the dynamics of your guitar signal, much like Gray Comp. However, while Gray Comp emulates a classic guitar-specific compressor pedal with a smooth, liquid tone, Dyn3 Comp is more versatile, acting more like an outboard compressor used in recording situations. This effect includes the following controls:

Threshold - Sets the level that your signal must exceed to trigger compression or limiting. Signals that go above this level will be compressed. Signals that are below it, will not.
Attack - Sets the attack time or the rate at which gain is reduced after the input signal crosses the threshold you've set. The smaller the value, the faster the attack. The faster the attack, the more rapidly the Compressor reduces the signal's volume. If you use fast attack times, you should generally use a proportionally longer release time, particularly when the material contains many fast peaks, (such as a staccato palm-muted guitar part). Very fast attack times (especially below 1 ms) can produce undesirable distortion on guitar.
Release - Sets the length of time it takes for the Compressor/Limiter to be fully deactivated after the input signal drops below the threshold you've set. Release times should be set long enough that if signal levels repeatedly rise above the threshold, the gain reduction "recovers" smoothly. If the release time is too short, the gain can rapidly fluctuate as the compressor repeatedly tries to recover from the gain reduction. If the release time is too long, a loud section of the audio material could cause an effect called "pumping and breathing" in which quieter parts of the signal are affected in ways that may or may not be desirable.
Gain - Lets you boost overall output gain to compensate for heavily compressed or limited signals.
Ratio - Sets the compression ratio, or the amount of compression applied as your signal goes above the threshold. For example, a 2:1 compression ratio means that a 2 dB increase of level above the threshold produces a 1 dB increase in output.
Knee - Sets the sharpness of the gain curve the compressor follows when reducing gain.  As you increase this control, it goes from applying "hard-knee" compression to "soft-knee" compression:
With hard-knee compression, compression begins when the input signal exceeds the threshold. This can sound abrupt and is ideal for limiting.
With soft-knee compression, gentle compression begins and increases gradually as the input signal approaches the threshold, and reaches full compression after exceeding the threshold. This creates smoother compression.

True - In my own dealings with InMusic Support has been very poor, and they have no answer - apparently its because they are spread too thin also supporting Headrush, Akai, Denon, M-Audio, Alesis , NuMark.
https://inmusicbrands.com/

sonnyv

to clarify, my input meter is working
it shows 6 bars lit. when i strum hard it goes to 18 bars lit -- 2 short of 0
but that range never changes regardless of changing the Input Gain or changing guitars.
and the manual verifies that the input meter is BEFORE settings on that screen
so it is not intended to visualize the gain control (i.e. it shows the gain, but not changes to the gain control, though the sound volume does increase and decrease if i change the gain from -12 to +12 for example)

that indicates there is a built-in limiter preventing us from hitting 0 or clipping

to test it you could try making your input hit 0 or clip
i can't make that happen

admin

I imagine it shows you have more headroom available and are not clipping the input ( while a guitar with 18VDC EMG Active PU's probably would)

admin

Something new ifrom InMusic  / Headrush is arriving next week
------------

Join us Thursday April 18th at 3 P.M. EST for a special live stream.
#newproductannouncement #mystery #livestream
https://www.facebook.com/events/676204019464965/

Thursday, April 18, 2019
3pm EST | 8pm | GMT

Thursday April 18, tune into our Facebook/YouTube Live Stream event about a whole new product! Brian from HeadRush is going to do an overview of the product and answer some questions in real-time, see you then!

I figure its a 6 new footswitch Gigboard with added XLR Mic and Stereo Line inputs

sonnyv

Quote from: admin on April 11, 2019, 02:10:51 PM
I figure its a 6 new footswitch Gigboard with added XLR Mic and Stereo Line inputs

i'd be surprised if they compromised sales of their current 2 models with another one
but i could go for a gigboard with a mic xlr and stereo input -- but not if it's bigger

it would be better if the current model could accept the inputs via an add-on device via usb connection

the product that would make the most sense would be a VST plugin of their sims and effects (which Helix & Bias already have)

sonnyv

perhaps none of the above -- their wording is "whole new product"

Kevin M

General question on the Headrush units....does the list of effects include a polyphonic pitch shifter (ala EHX Pitch Fork)? As best as I can tell from my research, there is only mention of an octave based pitch shifter and I'm not sure if that is even polyphonic.

admin

Digitech The Drop is class leader

Too much jitter/ on the Whammy type effect built into Headrush

admin

admin

KAISH 10pcs Aged White Vintage Barrel Guitar Amplifier Knob Round Knobs with Set Screw
https://www.amazon.com/KAISH-Vintage-Barrel-Guitar-Amplifier/dp/B01FDHAPKE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_267_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QGCE5QVQJFVZRX825NNQ

Swap encoder knobs for Fender White knobs allows remote adjust with side of shoe

admin

In the studio - the WiFo RemoFinger  works on Headrush Color touchscreen just like its intended use with the ipad!

(No MIDI Required)
https://www.wifocorp.com/product-page/remofinger-g-wireless-foot-controller

admin

Large Headrush Pedal Board Internal Expression Pedal Calibration Procedure

1. hold down button 4 and 11 while you power up.
2. You will see a message in button 1 little display window that says something about Calibration
3. You also see a message in button 7 little display window that says something like "press to cancel"
4. button 6 display will say put pedal in toe up position and button 12 says "start"
5. Hit start and put pedal in toe up or zero position.
6. The button 6 display says "learning"
7. Then button 6 display says to put pedal in toe down or 100% position.
8. Press button 12 "start", button 6 says "learning"
9. Then button 6 display says to put pedal in the middle or 50%
10. Press start and put it in the middle. It says learning.
11. Then button 12 says "SAVE"
12. press save.

admin

Andrew Karns

Hey all, I hope this helps those with the same issue but I was also not able to see the headrush in Windows explorer, yet I could see it in device manager and in the "safely remove hardware" task bar item. I finally figured out what the problem is!! The headrush disk needed a drive letter assigned. I went in Windows disk manager, right clicked on the headrush disk and assigned a drive letter and... voila!! Now I can see it in Windows explorer. Hope this helps all of you with this issue.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/29713127/

admin

admin

Headrush FW 2.13
https://www.headrushfx.com/products/pedalboard

Changes 

Since Firmware Version 2.1.2
• Fixed an issue where block presets from firmware v2.1 were not added when upgrading from firmware v2.0 or
earlier directly to v2.1.2

admin

admin

admin

Headrush
New Firmware 2.4.0 for MX5, Gigboard, PedalBoard

https://www.headrushfx.com/downloads

Added 4 new amp models to the AMP category:
o 11 EPB II HI-LEAD
o 11 EPB II LO-LEAD
o 11 EPB II CRUNCH
o 11 EPB II CLEAN

• Added 4 new FX to the DISTORTION category:
o B DIST 7000
o OCT FUZZ
o D250 DRIVE
o S1 DRIVE
• Improved the TUNER accuracy and speed

• Bug Fixes:
o Resolved an issue where the default preset name of the input block setting would not appear when powered on.

o Resolved an issue where an asterisk (unsaved rig indicator) would not appear after saving an individual block preset
within a rig.

o Resolved an issue where a loud pop would occur when increasing the BBD Delay's input gain parameter over 50%.

o Resolved an issue where Reverse Delay and Tape Echo would get extremely loud when the mix value is set over 90%.

Add your new feature request for future firmware here
https://headrushforum.com/login

admin