RC300 midi set up for beginner

Started by Kaicasswell, July 01, 2016, 12:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaicasswell

Hi Guys, what a brilliant forum. Thanks for making it so helpful. However, being so clueless i cant set up my RC300 and my JD Xi keyboard through midi. I don't understand midi really and i have searched the forum. I even have to look up on google about the pins on a GK cable....

I have found all that stuff about the RC300 being a bad slave in terms of tempo and the workarounds but that is way beyond me.

I want my keyboard to be able to change the programs or init memories? on the `RC300 (so i don't have to bend down and twizzle that knob)
If i could set the tempo as well using my keyboard that would be great.

if there is a known online guide about midi anyone could point me too that would be cool as well

thanks in advance
Kai

Elantric

best to start with a MIDI Primer
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2977.0

and read

MIDI controller Setup / Debug
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0

QuoteI even have to look up on google about the pins on a GK cable....

Our "GK I.Q. test" helps keep out the spammers ;)

shawnb

I would suggest reading everything in the RC-300 manual regarding MIDI & Assigns 3 times.  Seriously.  Especially:
  -  MIDI settings, pg 34, which explains where you can specify transmit & receive channels & whether the RC-300 can transmit PCs (program changes)
  -  External device notes, pgs 38 & 39.  Note it does say that the RC-300 can honor both sending & receiving PCs (program changes)
  -  Assigns, pg 23

PCs, Program Changes, are the MIDI "patch change" messages.   CCs, Continuous Controllers, are generic MIDI "do this" messages. 

Assigns let you do other activities on the RC-300 upon various actions, including receipt of MIDI messages. 

Quote from: Kaicasswell on July 01, 2016, 12:03:43 PMI want my keyboard to be able to change the programs or init memories? on the `RC300 (so i don't have to bend down and twizzle that knob)
As long as the keyboard is sending Program Changes on the proper channel, it appears you can do this. 

Quote from: Kaicasswell on July 01, 2016, 12:03:43 PMIf i could set the tempo as well using my keyboard that would be great.
This is the part that has been really difficult. 

One of the more promising workarounds discussed is using the "Assign" feature.  Let's say you have a button on your keyboard that can transmit a Midi CC, continuous controller.  Following instructions on pg 23, you should be able to Assign that CC to "Tap Tempo".  This would enable you to tap tempo on your keyboard/midi controller instead of on the RC-300.   

Once you see how versatile that Assigns are, you may be able to find other solutions.  (E.g., if your keyboard can play back a phrase, including CCs, that may make a "Tap Tempo" assign even easier.)   

Hope this helps,

Shawn
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Kaicasswell

OK many thanks! that will really help for starters, thanks for your time and courtesy to a newbie. I will get reading