RC-300 - Midi record on RC300

Started by Joe_Southern, March 01, 2016, 11:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe_Southern

I have the RC-300 and the BeatBuddy and have them to where it seems like they are playing nice together using the MIDI.

I have also integrated my DAW to send an experimental Start/Stop Midi CC command. I used Assign 8 on the RC-300 and had it do an all play/stop on CC#70. I tried CC#64 and that didn't seem to work, but may have been my setup. Anyway, I think I get how that works and how to set it up in the RC300.

But, what I want to do is to be able to send a Midi CC - or something else to put the RC-300 into "record mode" on a track.

Why?

Well, I want to have the RC-300 and the BeatBuddy on the floor (obviously) next to my piano for when I play the guitar. Then, on the Piano I will have the Akai MPK Mini 25 key Midi Controller I just ordered. My plan was to then be able to trigger the RC-300 into record mode on a track while I sat at the piano. Basically, I don't want to have to move the whole pedal board under the piano to get to it and I think the little mini midi controller on the piano would work better. I'm too old to climb under the piano several times a day (:

But, I can't see that you can put the RC-300 into record mode. I find that incredible really when you see the other options in there that you can control. I must be missing something or there should be some work around.

Any ideas on how to basically - remotely - trigger the RC-300 into record mode like that?

Threeleggedyoyo

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately there's no way to remotely trigger the Record function with target commands. I agree, it's strange.

You could use the Auto Record function to get it to record as soon as it hears your piano, though. I don't know if that solves your problem completely but it's something.

Joe_Southern

Thanks for your reply and I did think about the auto record, but I'd have to hit the pedal and then run around to the piano seat. It's better than nothing but...

I 'might' be able to do it with two RC-300's, but shoot that would add up in cost - I don't play that well (: I could also perhaps tap into the pedal switches by breaking open the case, but wow that seems extreme and don't know if I want to do that.

Roland told me today it was 'not possible' which makes me even more determined (: There must be some hack to do this - I am hoping someone has done a deep dive in this area. I can't understand why that isn't open to us. I thought maybe Roland would give me some special codes to send via the midi.

I'd certainly appreciate any ideas. I do believe their is an answer out there somewhere.

DaveTuckerMusic

So I've been pondering/searching how to do the same with the rc300....

I solved this same problem on my rc20xl by opening up the pedal and soldering wires and a 1//4" female jack to the "start/record" and "ground" posts on the circuit board so that I could remotely trigger with an FS-5U

This allowed me to play "kick" using another FS-5>SamplePadPro ...

I just got the RC300 and was hoping that CC commands could solve it... may need to circuit bend..