DIY - Replacing GK 13-pin connectors with more Reliable Alternatives

Started by stratrat, January 11, 2016, 01:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timestop

Hello. Should be an adhesive cable clamb. You may buy it on Amazon. I found a 25pcs pack from Sodial for only 3 euros.
I purchased it today....

CVS

Quote from: timestop on January 13, 2018, 02:22:37 PM
Hello. Should be an adhesive cable clamb. You may buy it on Amazon. I found a 25pcs pack from Sodial for only 3 euros.
I purchased it today....

Thanks for your help. Just purchased on Amazon. I want to try the cheapest solution 1st, before I think about replacing connectors.

CVS

OK - I am ready to go to the next step - Which would be to buy a better cable. The Glitter D13 cable looks very interesting & promising

http://gittlerinstruments.com/d13-cable

Just want to confirm that this cable works with no additional modifications to the GR55 and GK3, before I order. I think the answer is "yes" but I would like to confirm before I take the plunge.

Last resort will be to replace the connector (at least on the guitar end) with a locking connector

Thanks much

admin

Quote from: CVS on January 20, 2018, 02:53:11 PM
OK - I am ready to go to the next step - Which would be to buy a better cable. The Glitter D13 cable looks very interesting & promising

http://gittlerinstruments.com/d13-cable

Just want to confirm that this cable works with no additional modifications to the GR55 and GK3, before I order. I think the answer is "yes" but I would like to confirm before I take the plunge.

Last resort will be to replace the connector (at least on the guitar end) with a locking connector

Thanks much

read the 4 pages of reviews
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11243.0

CVS

Dolphran

Quote from: vanceg on June 14, 2016, 07:48:08 PMI'm now using Lemo connectors.  I started on this path when I began investigating the CycFi NU pickups, and Joel at CycFi recommended the Lemo.  They are not cheap, but they are locking, the mechanism is PURE JOY to use, you can't bend a pin, and they are small.  My 19 pin version is only 1/4" wide.   That does make for some tight soldering, but Lemo makes connectors in any pin count.

I've got a build with the new CycFi pickups doing double duty as an improved GK-3 or as a standard pickup, and this install will use a Lemo connector and then a little lemo to 13pin breakout box...but you could just rewire the other end of an existing 13pin cable using a Lemo if you wanted.
I've ordered the Cycfi Nexus-GK for my new guitar build. What cable do you use for the connection from your breakout box (Nexus-GK for me) to the Roland device (GP-10 for me)? The Gittler cables I have for my LGXT are crazy long for two 13-pin boxes that will be right next to each other. Any links to a source for SHORT 13-pin cables?

eldenkellymusic

Hey everyone--
I have good news on this--I figured it was time to solve this issue once and for all--Yohan Damour in France who specializes in many things 24-pin and 13-pin has personally designed a roadworthy GK13 cable! Robust metal ends (either straight or at any angle orientation)--and the big ask-- a locking input jack. In my case he was able to design a complete "plug and play" replacement for the jack that comes on a Godin Multiac SA. Hit him up for these cables or any custom GK requests you might have. He also built me a 2 GK guitars into 4 GK synths box (no longer available from Joness or Primova) which you can see in the picture. Tell him I sent ya! damouryohan@hotmail.com

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.   

billbax

Robust looking 13P hybrid plugs there Eldon. Only two problems I can think of:
1. 0.76mm signal pins still remain vulnerable.
2. 95% of 13-pin users do not know or care about protecting their plugs and sockets. Having said that, those hybrids 13P connector look heavy-duty.

Notice the 13P sockets have diagonal allen key bolts, is this a hybrid 13P socket?